Ford 8.8 vs JK Dana 44

so are there variations in ball joints today?? Are the ball joints in my Jeep from back in 1997? I dont know

No I was referring to the TJ style ball joint as the limiter not just the specific ones in your Dana 30. Same issue with a 44 as well. I’m not sure what can be done but if it was that easy more people would be doing it.
yep i agree. so what i a superman strong ball joint or something else that connects the axle yoke to the spindle/unit bearing yoke?
so are there variations in ball joints today?? Are the ball joints in my Jeep from back in 1997? I dont know

No I was referring to the TJ style ball joint as the limiter not just the specific ones in your Dana 30. Same issue with a 44 as well. I’m not sure what can be done but if it was that easy more people would be doing it.

I mean if I really want to continue fixing the weakest links on my dana 30 , even more implortant than the chromolly axles just installed , would be the ball Joints !!!! I see standard ball joint, heavy duty ball joints. So are the breaking points of these ball joints 100% better
There’s a thread on here that tells you what the best ball joints are. They are spicer but I don’t remember the model number.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
I mean if I really want to continue fixing the weakest links on my dana 30 , even more implortant than the chromolly axles just installed , would be the ball Joints !!!! I see standard ball joint, heavy duty ball joints. So are the breaking points of these ball joints 100% better

All the so called HEAVY DUTY BJ's are really nothing more than smoke and mirrors to get more of your money. The issue once you replace those ball joints with something STRONGER is now your inner "C"'s will stretch out or the housing will bend. Stop spending money on the Dana 30 and step up to a Dana 60.

If beyond all this OTHER advice you still want something stronger there is a new Ball Joint Eliminator available that is too new to say.

All the so called HEAVY DUTY BJ's are really nothing more than smoke and mirrors to get more of your money. The issue once you replace those ball joints with something STRONGER is now your inner "C"'s will stretch out or the housing will bend. Stop spending money on the Dana 30 and step up to a Dana 60.

If beyond all this OTHER advice you still want something stronger there is a new Ball Joint Eliminator available that is too new to say.
Thanks, its really more of a what if question. im not going over 35s. but Ive never really asked about the ball joint/ "C" connections. I mean you could actually say the ball joints are the most important part of the jeep .

• Wow
Reactions: Wildman

If I hit the lottery, I’m ordering front and rear rockjock 60s immediately lol

Thanks, its really more of a what if question. im not going over 35s. but Ive never really asked about the ball joint/ "C" connections. I mean you could actually say the ball joints are the most important part of the jeep .

As they say if you want to play you've got to pay...... For 35" tires the Spicer ball joints at just fine.

If I hit the lottery, I’m ordering front and rear rockjock 60s immediately lol

Will you adopt me and then support me in a manner I can become accustom to??? I'd like some Dynatrac axles for Xmas please.

This is what I installed in 2014... you need two of this kit.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007N6OHI0/?tag=wranglerorg-20
There’s just no way to know how long they have been there

B4B5C383-1D70-4620-8406-F09808C21D37.jpeg

FDEC128A-88BC-4C1D-BC2C-2B8F64DBDC51.jpeg

328CD0AF-B3F9-4414-8D18-1C40504030F8.jpeg

BC10D0AD-A508-4964-B29A-006F43D0BEB5.jpeg

You're in analysis paralysis. Stay with nothing larger than 35's and install those ball joints, odds are they are the factory originals that came in your TJ. You'll have no trouble by doing both of those.

Whichever axle I go with, im fully building it before I throw it in. I know there's c clip eliminators, I think im going to go with the super 35, or a tj 44. I found a tj 44 and an 8.8 both for 200 out of wrecked vehicles, or ill just build mine. When I started this jeep project I never would've imagined how many options I have
Always think of parts so when you break your shit on the trail you might find a spare...

You're in analysis paralysis. Stay with nothing larger than 35's and install those ball joints, odds are they are the factory originals that came in your TJ. You'll have no trouble by doing both of those.
I think your right about the analysis thing. So why would I not change out the steering knuckle too. Is it not a wear item too?

I think your right about the analysis thing. So why would I not change out the steering knuckle too. Is it not a wear item too?
The only thing that wears on the factory knuckle is the brake slider casting. The pads will wear divots in the bearing surfaces. Those can be welded and reground. No biggie.

I suppose, if you had loose tie rod ends, and didn't pay attention to the knocking sound they would make, your tapers might wear out and necessitate a replacement knuckle too. That doesn't fall under "normal" wear and tear in my book, though.

The only thing that wears on the factory knuckle is the brake slider casting. The pads will wear divots in the bearing surfaces. Those can be welded and reground. No biggie.

I suppose, if you had loose tie rod ends, and didn't pay attention to the knocking sound they would make, your tapers might wear out and necessitate a replacement knuckle too. That doesn't fall under "normal" wear and tear in my book, though.
Thanks !

Ya know, ill say it again, but for our lives to be dangling from two peices of thread(ball joints), Holding many thing together at two very small attachment points, we really should pay closer attention to the ball joint area. ha
what other types of attachment points for turning purposes are there on front axles other than steering knuckles , or do all front axles attach/pivot from a ball joint holding the steering knuckle to the C bracketr on the axles ?
Think im gong back to a 29 inch tire. :ROFLMAO:

Ya know, ill say it again, but for our lives to be dangling from two peices of thread(ball joints), Holding many thing together at two very small attachment points, we really should pay closer attention to the ball joint area. ha
what other types of attachment points for turning purposes are there on front axles other than steering knuckles , or do all front axles attach/pivot from a ball joint holding the steering knuckle to the C bracketr on the axles ?
Think im gong back to a 29 inch tire. :ROFLMAO:
One Ton axles (some, anyway) use what is called a kingpin. Similar in theory to a Balljoint, but made of many parts that can be disassembled

1606140492108.png

Stop spending money on the Dana 30 and step up to a Dana 60.
what junkyard automobile do I look for to pull a Dana 60 from if i were to look for one? Really in truly im good now with my setup but looking to the years to come. Id probably go with a high pinion dana 44,

what junkyard automobile do I look for to pull a Dana 60 from if i were to look for one? Really in truly im good now with my setup but looking to the years to come. Id probably go with a high pinion dana 44,

The 05 and newer Super Duty axles are now the popular swaps but even the 99-04 I think I have the years correct.

As for HP44's if you are talking about the Ford ones like I have they are getting harder to find also.

You can get an empty housing like this from many different vendors. Pricey but start adding up a bracket set or truss kit plus a axle and then it isn't as bad.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=263443260914

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.