Ford 8.8 vs JK Dana 44

Not being a dick but I’m just curious why you hate on Dana 35s so dogmatically. Literally every thread about super Dana 35s you’re there hating on it. So I’m curious if you’ve actually run a super 35 before and broken it. And if not, why you’re obsessed with posting negative things about it. Who cares if @Jerry Bransford opted for a Dana 44 because he got a good deal on it. No one is saying a Dana 35 is superior to a 44. There are obvious reasons it’s not. The argument is merely that a super 35 is sufficient for locked 35s and that it’s a totally viable and reliable option.

I don't know man, you break your Dana 35 every time we wheel :ROFLMAO:

I think people who talk shit about a Dana 35 on 35" tires need to actually go out and wheel with guys who run them. I

• Haha
Reactions: starkey480
Right? For obvious reasons (His words, not mine) he ditched his Dana 35 and swapped in a Dana 44 he got on the cheap.
I bought my used Dana 44 for $800 before the Super 35 was introduced by Superior Axle. I would have gone for the Super 35 had it been available, especially since it was jointly developed by two guys I knew, mrblaine and Mac Macmillan at Superior Axle.

Reactions: Chris and J R
I would immediately buy a Dana 44 for mine for $800. The closest one I have been able to find on copart is 1200 and a 10 hour round trip. I figured that since mine was the 42rle and I only had 3.73's that it would soften up the shock on the Dana 35 quite a bit. I don't do mud holes and don't usually hammer on the right foot unless I am pissed from not getting up something. Mostly I just slow roll and crawl up and over stuff.

Not being a dick but I’m just curious why you hate on Dana 35s so dogmatically. Literally every thread about super Dana 35s you’re there hating on it. So I’m curious if you’ve actually run a super 35 before and broken it. And if not, why you’re obsessed with posting negative things about it. Who cares if @Jerry Bransford opted for a Dana 44 because he got a good deal on it. No one is saying a Dana 35 is superior to a 44. There are obvious reasons it’s not. The argument is merely that a super 35 is sufficient for locked 35s and that it’s a totally viable and reliable option.
Because there really is no such thing as a super 35, it’s like chrome plating a turd, it may look cool but it’s still a turd. For what a 44 costs that many do it your selfer’s are able to build, at least I won’t have to worry about puking a axle like many 35’s have gone into history.

• Face Palm
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Because there really is no such thing as a super 35, it’s like chrome plating a turd, it may look cool but it’s still a turd. For what a 44 costs that many do it your selfer’s are able to build, at least I won’t have to worry about puking a axle like many 35’s have gone into history.
Says who? Have you broke a super 35? Have you wheeled with someone who has broke one? Or have you just read about it? For what a Dana 44 alone costs I can be locked with upgrades shafts. Again you can’t compare the cost of a Dana 44 to a super 35 unless it is locked with upgrades shafts.

Says who? Have you broke a super 35? Have you wheeled with someone who has broke one? Or have you just read about it? For what a Dana 44 alone costs I can be locked with upgrades shafts. Again you can’t compare the cost of a Dana 44 to a super 35 unless it is locked with upgrades shafts.
3 times I have seen locked 35 with chromo shafts break, if I am spending the money, shafts are about the same for a 44 as a 30, same with gears and lockers, I get $200 junk yard/Craig’s list housings and Dutchman is like 3-450 to narrow and install brackets so for 300 more you have a 44 that has the same quality parts as a 35 and I don’t worry. My last 44’s were 1600 each complete with lockers and shafts front and rear and that included elockers but I did 90% of the work.

Reactions: starkey480
3 times I have seen locked 35 with chromo shafts break, if I am spending the money, shafts are about the same for a 44 as a 30, same with gears and lockers, I get $200 junk yard/Craig’s list housings and Dutchman is like 3-450 to narrow and install brackets so for 300 more you have a 44 that has the same quality parts as a 35 and I don’t worry. My last 44’s were 1600 each complete with lockers and shafts front and rear and that included elockers but I did 90% of the work.
Again, regional bias, but wheeling in JV on 35's, I've seen and been involved in the repair of many Dana 44, Dana 30, and Ford 8.8 breaks and repairs on the trail. I wheeled many times out there with my helper when he had the Super 35 in a TJ with an auto and a doubler. I've also wheeled with several others with the Super 35. Of all the axles I've been on trails with out there on 35's, not a single time have we had to fix one.

Super 35 shafts aren't chromoly. I'm also calling bullshit, I really don't believe you have personally seen three true Super 35s running 35s break on the trail with you.
Well I was using cromoly as a genaric term, but all 3 involved a loss and sudden gain of traction and way too much throttle.

Again, regional bias, but wheeling in JV on 35's, I've seen and been involved in the repair of many Dana 44, Dana 30, and Ford 8.8 breaks and repairs on the trail. I wheeled many times out there with my helper when he had the Super 35 in a TJ with an auto and a doubler. I've also wheeled with several others with the Super 35. Of all the axles I've been on trails with out there on 35's, not a single time have we had to fix one.
I’ve been really happy with mine. Ive pushed it hard at times and hasnt failed me yet. But like you said my terrain is very similar to JV so I’m not sure how other terrains would affect it.