Ford 8.8 vs JK Dana 44

I’ve been really happy with mine. Ive pushed it hard at times and hasnt failed me yet. But like you said my terrain is very similar to JV so I’m not sure how other terrains would effect it.
For what it takes to get one in and go wheeling, they are a good product. If you get to the point that it starts breaking, then you have outgrown it and its time to move up to something stronger. Until then, you get to go wheeling, enjoy the trails, and that's what it is all about.

Reactions: 5632 and starkey480
Same money to build a super 35 as an older 44
NO, it is the same money IF you have the skills, time, and inclination to do the work yourself. I wouldn't buy, build, or install an older 44 because they are highly overrated pieces of shit for what they are. And, I can do the work, but I won't.

Well I was using cromoly as a genaric term, but all 3 involved a loss and sudden gain of traction and way too much throttle.
2ui2kf.jpg

Reactions: starkey480
Whichever axle I go with, im fully building it before I throw it in. I know there's c clip eliminators, I think im going to go with the super 35, or a tj 44. I found a tj 44 and an 8.8 both for 200 out of wrecked vehicles, or ill just build mine. When I started this jeep project I never would've imagined how many options I have

If you found a tj rear 44 for 200 bucks, grab it.
Load it with 35 spline shafts and locker. The cost is the same as using 30 spline parts Or super kit for the M35. You have strength the 8.8 guys only dream of at that point.

Reactions: starkey480
Not being a dick but I’m just curious why you hate on Dana 35s so dogmatically. Literally every thread about super Dana 35s you’re there hating on it. So I’m curious if you’ve actually run a super 35 before and broken it. And if not, why you’re obsessed with posting negative things about it. Who cares if @Jerry Bransford opted for a Dana 44 because he got a good deal on it. No one is saying a Dana 35 is superior to a 44. There are obvious reasons it’s not. The argument is merely that a super 35 is sufficient for locked 35s and that it’s a totally viable and reliable option.
I’m just an advocate for what could be a cheaper option; The Dana 44 from a TJ/LJ. Its pretty much the same thing minus the pumpkin. Ive always stuck to that idea. I love axle talk.

I’m not against the Super 35, it’s fun looking and weighing options as to what’s out there. Would I build it? No. Have I wheeled a Dana 35? Of course. Did it explode into a million pieces when I put it in 4L? No. Would I gain more confidence on the trail with a Dana 44 versus the Dana 35? Yes.

for me the 8.8 falls into the same range as " i can only afford Skyjacker".....then don't bother,

next if your hell bent on a TJ Dana 44 Daveys was sittin on 2 TJ Rubi front housings dirt cheap, they just need a little bracket repair.
prob cost ya 2500 to furnish it all up with new parts.

now if was was to even mess with Jeep Dana 44's again it'd be the JK Rubi axles, those have some upgrades to the RnP and inner bearings. but their short comings are the same as the older units.
and the cost required to correct them and the reason u'd even need to, comes down to wheel size.

tire size is whats dictating the limits of any Jeep axle, and the general consensus seems to be a 35" limit on any TJ or JK axle.
now the super 35 is proven to work, i don't think anyone is leadin you wrong.
the 44 is a semi upgrade giving you a few better parts but the same limitations. it's a step up the ladder, but not enough to move the limit scale.
so the line is drawn and it stands at 35". and what you spend to stay there is up to you.

this is coming from a guy that's 3500$ deep into axles that didn't cross that line...............in blaines world that makes me "1 of the F's" that statement alone made me open my eyes, to most of the mistakes i've made, and stung a bit as well, cause i know i fell short or surpassed a couple lines i should have followed during this mostly self inflicted ( just cause i wanted to) project.

for me the 8.8 falls into the same range as " i can only afford Skyjacker".....then don't bother,

next if your hell bent on a TJ Dana 44 Daveys was sittin on 2 TJ Rubi front housings dirt cheap, they just need a little bracket repair.
prob cost ya 2500 to furnish it all up with new parts.

now if was was to even mess with Jeep Dana 44's again it'd be the JK Rubi axles, those have some upgrades to the RnP and inner bearings. but their short comings are the same as the older units.
and the cost required to correct them and the reason u'd even need to, comes down to wheel size.

tire size is whats dictating the limits of any Jeep axle, and the general consensus seems to be a 35" limit on any TJ or JK axle.
now the super 35 is proven to work, i don't think anyone is leadin you wrong.
the 44 is a semi upgrade giving you a few better parts but the same limitations. it's a step up the ladder, but not enough to move the limit scale.
so the line is drawn and it stands at 35". and what you spend to stay there is up to you.

this is coming from a guy that's 3500$ deep into axles that didn't cross that line...............in blaines world that makes me "1 of the F's" that statement alone made me open my eyes, to most of the mistakes i've made, and stung a bit as well, cause i know i fell short or surpassed a couple lines i should have followed during this mostly self inflicted ( just cause i wanted to) project.
What’s that statement mean? Lol in pole vaulting we have a saying that a good pole vaulter must have the 3 F’s. They have to be fearless, fast, and stupid.

• Haha
Reactions: pc1p
What’s that statement mean? Lol in pole vaulting we have a saying that a good pole vaulter must have the 3 F’s. They have to be fearless, fast, and stupid.
I don't know what it means either but I probably hurt his feelings accidentally when I didn't know he wasn't a moron.

i'm chock full of fearless and stupid. not so fast though, i shoulda been done last summer.

what i've managed to accomplish is valuable regardless of being worthwhile or frivolous, it's more than most would even attempt.
even fails contribute to the learning curve. there are things i'll do every time and things i'll never do again.

i thought i'd done my research.........but in all honesty it could take a couple yrs of reading and following to get the full story pieced together, unless you make the mistake and have to correct it.
or somehow know what question to ask b4 you encounter the problem your about to run into or create.

1 more piece of advice might be ......stow that "ha, i'll show you" shit at the door, it's gonna stifle your ability to learn. i'm not dumb, but sometimes i'm not smart either.

maybe you are the squirrel that finds a new nut, but these squirrels know the yard pretty good.

I don't know what it means either but I probably hurt his feelings accidentally when I didn't know he wasn't a moron.
whole nother thread about a wk ago.....and ya it got me, don't think it was directed at me, but it's a kick in the ass i needed and am not hurt 1 bit. it was an eye opener is all.... direct and blunt.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford