Former / Active Duty Military Members Roll Call

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
There are a lot of Vets and currently serving members of the Armed Services on here.

First off, thank you all for your service, no matter where and when you served.

Secondly, muster in, if you would like, and tell us when and where you served. We all share something.

USN, 5TH and 7th Fleet, 1975 to 1981. Machinest's Mate.

Ahhh, great idea for a thread!

I'm former Army. I was an 11 Bravo (Infantry) and I was stationed at Fort Lewis, Washington with the 2nd ACR (Armored Cavalry Regiment) which shortly thereafter became the 4th brigade of the 2nd ID. I was the only infantry man in my entire company. I have no idea why they decided to attach an 11B to a company of cavalry scouts (that was everyone else's MOS), but I guess they were short a man and therefore that's where they sent me!

My unit (and all the other units in my company) were Stryker units. I spent most of my time driving and dismounting from Strykers. Sleeping in them too, which BTW is not very fun at all.

I know that @Jerry Bransford, @Stinger, @Big Sarge and several others are both active and former military as well. I know there's likely a lot of others as well.

I think the TJ is one of those vehicles that probably appeals to both active and former military types.

I think the TJ appeals to former military as a practical thing. Very utilitarian, traditional and useful. The bonus is, it's not built by the lowest bidder! lol

I think the TJ appeals to former military as a practical thing. Very utilitarian, traditional and useful. The bonus is, it's not built by the lowest bidder! lol

I agree 100%. Also, although some of us TJ owners live in the country while others live in the city, it seems that the majority of TJ owners also have similar mindsets as far as politics and bigger issues go. That's what I gather from my reading at least.

Reactions: 02GreenTJ and StG58
Joined to be an MP in 1968. Didn't happen. Went thru basic- Ft Lewis, WA then Artillery OCS-Ft Sill, OK then flight school at Mineral Wells, TX and Ft Rucker, AL, followed by 13 months in Viet Nam. Back to FT Lewis-Ft Knox-Ft Sill-Ft Rucker-Germany-Ft Carson, CO-Ft Douglas, UT-Germany. Out processed and retired from Ft Dix, NJ 1991.
What a ride! Did so many different types of jobs I can even count them. Being. Battery Commander in a nuclear capable Field Artillery battalion when I was 22 years old has given me a whole new perspective on growing up.:rolleyes:

1976-1995 Radioman/CommTech/NradOp QL6B. Royal Canadian Navy (West Coast Divisions). HMCS Saskatchewan, HMCS Mackenzie (X2), NRS Aldergrove.

Lots of interaction with our U.S. counterparts. I added up my San Diego time alone and it was over 3 months.

1976-1995 Radioman/CommTech/NradOp QL6B. Royal Canadian Navy (West Coast Divisions). HMCS Saskatchewan, HMCS Mackenzie (X2), NRS Aldergrove.

Lots of interaction with our U.S. counterparts. I added up my San Diego time alone and it was over 3 months.
Hmmm. @RaymondT - You weren't involved in that little ruckus north of Vancouver Island in early '77 were you? The one where a US Navy Destroyer caught a Soviet "Oceanographic Research Vessel" inside Canadian terratorial waters? If so, thanks for showing up when you did. If not, you missed some fun times!

Hmmm. @RaymondT - You weren't involved in that little ruckus north of Vancouver Island in early '77 were you? The one where a US Navy Destroyer caught a Soviet "Oceanographic Research Vessel" inside Canadian terratorial waters? If so, thanks for showing up when you did. If not, you missed some fun times!

Missed that party but we hassled probably the same ship for over a week not long after. A Canadian warship probably intimidated them as much as a gnat flying around a bulls ass. What with our WWII era armament.

Drafted in Jan. of 1971,Ft. lOST-IN THE Woods Mo. for basic,Augusta Ga. For AIT,(95p20) San Antone Tx. for dog school, New England Air Defense Com. for 18 months.Walked a Chain saw with Fur to guard missiles. ETSed in Jan. of '73.
Thanks to all who serve and have served!!

Dave

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
U. S. Navy Aircrew/Rescue Swimmer 1975-1992. Way too much fun in way too many places. Miss it every day and I'd go back in a heartbeat if they would have me (they won't, I'm too busted up).

You just missed your retirement by 3 years! What happened?

Reactions: StG58
I guess I'm the young one here. 2010-present. I'm a 25L signal, cable system installer (cable dawg) I've been to Fort Gordon GA, Afghanistan, Germany, and now at Fort Campbell Ky. and will be out in 11 months. I've enjoyed the military but it's destroying my body. I've got knee problems, back problems, just had shoulder surgery, high blood pressure and I'm only 26.

I guess I'm the young one here. 2010-present. I'm a 25L signal, cable system installer (cable dawg) I've been to Fort Gordon GA, Afghanistan, Germany, and now at Fort Campbell Ky. and will be out in 11 months. I've enjoyed the military but it's destroying my body. I've got knee problems, back problems, just had shoulder surgery, high blood pressure and I'm only 26.

I hear ya there. It ruined my knee that's for sure!

Drafted in Jan. of 1971,Ft. lOST-IN THE Woods Mo. for basic,Augusta Ga. For AIT,(95p20) San Antone Tx. for dog school, New England Air Defense Com. for 18 months.Walked a Chain saw with Fur to guard missiles. ETSed in Jan. of '73.
Thanks to all who serve and have served!!

Dave
"Walked a Chain saw with fur" now that totally cracks me up. We had Marines, and none of them were furry.

Know what ya mean, still paying 35 years later. It was worth it to me.

Air Force and Vietnam vet here, got out about a hundred years ago (1970) and it still seems like yesterday. My final year was spent in Vietnam with the 903rd Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron. We had medevac sites throughout the country so I spent the year pretty much on the move between them all and really had a good chance to see the entire country from top to bottom. That was also where I had the chance to drive a "Jeep" for the first time which was probably an M138. I nearly got run off a berm by some kind of a huge tank that was f'ing with me since he could go faster than my Jeep could lol.

The first pic is of my luxury accommodations at a place called Duc Pho, I think that is me carrying a couple jerry cans full of water. The second pic I took is pretty amazing, it's of Bob Hope arriving at Chu Lai for his Christmas show. My aircraft landed just ahead of his & since I was armed, they let me in since they assumed I was part of the security detail... no one else was allowed weapons beyond the gate they came through to greet him.
IMG_5406.JPG
IMG_5393.JPG

Last edited: