Former TJ Owner from Oregon saying Hi &looking to get back into Jeeping

deeve

New member from Hillsboro Oregon and former Jeep TJ owner. About 12 years ago, I had TJ Sport with a bit of a lift. It was a fun ride, but once I lifted it, the handling turned to crap. In hind site, I do not think it was installed correctly. It was sold partially due to that and partially due to getting married to a wonderful lady with two children. Car seat & booster seat with a stroller and all the bit and pieces that go with kids meant the Jeep had to go. Now the kiddos are almost grown up, except for my 9 year old, and I am looking at Jeeps again.

I do a bit of dual sport Back Country Discovery rides with my KTM 500EXC and would love to share that experience with my wife and 9 year old son...hence a Jeep. I love the 4.0 inline 6 and am so so about the 3.6 in the newer JK's. We have a 3.6 in my wife's GC, but I know it doesn't have the proven track record of the 4.0. I would love to get a RUBI and maybe an LJ, but LJ's are hard to find.

My next step is to figure out if I want a 2 door or 4 door. If I can get away with a 2 door then decide on JK or TJ. I know I will get a lot of TJ love here. Spending less would be more appealing to me too if I can find the right used rig. My only concern is if I was to take wife, child and dog on a BCDR multi day trip where would I put all their stuff? Roof rack?

Anyway, thats me and HELLO!!!

Reactions: Chris
Welcome to the forum! I'm from Beaverton, Oregon, so just right down the road from you!

I'm also married with two kids. We thought about getting rid of the TJ, but we both agreed we would miss it too much. We have a daily driver, so it doesn't matter if the TJ sits for long periods of time.

You'll have to let us know what you decide to get!

With our TJ we regularly take it on long trips. I have a cargo tack that mounts into the receiver hitch on the rear bumper. I can fit a ton of our stuff in that, and the rest of it in the car, so we're fine with that. Alternatively, you could also get a Safari rack for the top where you could mount all your stuff also.

Oh, thats funny! You are right around the corner! Our new "family" car is actually my wife's Grand Cherokee. She left it up to me to move the Fusion. Once that is gone, I am going to get serious. It's nice to know that you make it work with a 2 door. I cannot recall how much room was in the back of the TJ I had, but it seemed pretty good. I looked at a FJ and it was ok, but the rear seat room was very tight as far as the legs go.

I miss my Jeep quite a bit, but then I remember overtime I would be going down HWY 26 and have to brake hard(ish) it would head toward the side of the road. I think it was a combo of the lift that was put on and how the road was. How is your rig on the highways around here that get those "ruts" in the pavement?

DAVE

Oh, thats funny! You are right around the corner! Our new "family" car is actually my wife's Grand Cherokee. She left it up to me to move the Fusion. Once that is gone, I am going to get serious. It's nice to know that you make it work with a 2 door. I cannot recall how much room was in the back of the TJ I had, but it seemed pretty good. I looked at a FJ and it was ok, but the rear seat room was very tight as far as the legs go.

I miss my Jeep quite a bit, but then I remember overtime I would be going down HWY 26 and have to brake hard(ish) it would head toward the side of the road. I think it was a combo of the lift that was put on and how the road was. How is your rig on the highways around here that get those "ruts" in the pavement?

DAVE

We make it work fine with two doors. The trick is the cargo carrier for the receiver hitch and a Safari rack. Then you can put all your stuff outside the vehicle and keep the inside clutter free. Just gotta use some tarps or waterproof containers incase it rains. We do this all the time when we drive to Bend and it works wonderfully.

My TJ doesn't veer to the side or anything. That sounds like you could have had numerous issues including caster, toe-in, alignment, etc. When installing a new lift it can certainly generate an entire subset of issues as a result of changing suspension geometry. I have mine dialed in to the point where it tracks wonderfully on the highway!

Reactions: deeve
Wife, shotgun. Kid, dog, backseat.

STUFF !!!!
Small trailer. Maybe tiny tent trailer.
You know how to do it for 1 on a KTM......
TJ with a small... teardrop...... easy !!

Buy the cheapest TJ you can find... but 4.0 for sure.
Shop for that teardrop or tiny tent trailer.

Forget the "NEED" for.... a Rubi... a ??? rear end ratio..... Get what will put you out camping.. ALL JEEPS ARE TRAIL RATED !!

We make it work fine with two doors. The trick is the cargo carrier for the receiver hitch and a Safari rack. Then you can put all your stuff outside the vehicle and keep the inside clutter free. Just gotta use some tarps or waterproof containers incase it rains. We do this all the time when we drive to Bend and it works wonderfully.

My TJ doesn't veer to the side or anything. That sounds like you could have had numerous issues including caster, toe-in, alignment, etc. When installing a new lift it can certainly generate an entire subset of issues as a result of changing suspension geometry. I have mine dialed in to the point where it tracks wonderfully on the highway!

I'm interested in the cargo carrier for the receiver hitch. Where is the best place to look for one with the best prices?

Try Quadratec or 4Wheelparts. JC Whitney may also carry it. Another option is go to your local metal/welding shop and have one made.

Reactions: Amie
Working on it! Just been so busy with the family getting ready to buy a house!