Former XJ and JK owner, new TJ owner

vivawheels

TJ neophyte
Supporting Member
greetings fellow Jeepers —

i thought i'd stop in and say hello to my new chosen brethren; yesterday i finalized the purchase of an 05 Rubi, pick it up next weekend.

i hope i'm not violating the laws of the universe by putting a question here in the New Guy spot, but i trust that the long-timers will correct my course if need be: as a first-time TJ owner, what might i expect to begin working on from the jump? i did a very slow and careful crawl-around to note anything that might be in need of attention, and got the impression that the exhaust system may need to be replaced sooner than later, along with an undercoat. i don't know anything about engines (sorry if this offends the regulars around here; mechanical inclination simply isn't one of my strong suits) other than i really liked the 4.0 in my XJ and am happy to own another...

i currently don't have any pictures to share, but will remedy that after i get it back home. in the meantime, any practical advice would be appreciated.

and yes, i have a moderate allergy to capital letters and APA-format punctuation. mea culpa.

Reactions: sideproject
Welcome from the Blue Ridge Mountains.

I picked up my '01 about 2 weeks ago, and I've decided I'm starting at the bottom and working up. So tires, a complete suspension refresh/lift, and brakes.

greetings fellow Jeepers —

i thought i'd stop in and say hello to my new chosen brethren; yesterday i finalized the purchase of an 05 Rubi, pick it up next weekend.

i hope i'm not violating the laws of the universe by putting a question here in the New Guy spot, but i trust that the long-timers will correct my course if need be: as a first-time TJ owner, what might i expect to begin working on from the jump? i did a very slow and careful crawl-around to note anything that might be in need of attention, and got the impression that the exhaust system may need to be replaced sooner than later, along with an undercoat. i don't know anything about engines (sorry if this offends the regulars around here; mechanical inclination simply isn't one of my strong suits) other than i really liked the 4.0 in my XJ and am happy to own another...

i currently don't have any pictures to share, but will remedy that after i get it back home. in the meantime, any practical advice would be appreciated.

and yes, i have a moderate allergy to capital letters and APA-format punctuation. mea culpa.

Fluids and plugs so you have a baseline. Check the forum for best fluids for your transmission and diffs. Platinum or iridium tip plugs. If you have an aftermarket air box replace with stock. Download the FSM from the TJ Resources section. There are tons of good people and some very knowledgeable on here. Everyone is very helpful.