Found a Dana 30HP from a 1993 XJ in Los Angeles. Condition unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaptainkid1

TJ Enthusiast
LKQ pick a part in Sunland in North Hollywood. I found a nice looking 1993 Jeep XJ in the junkyard.
It had a nice closed up Dana 30HP with brakes and knuckles still intact. I would say it's a great find to start Ultimate Dana 30HP axle.

20220103_110227.jpg

20220103_110323.jpg

20220103_110316.jpg

Reactions: NskLJ
Seems like every Dana 30 I've pulled from a rig (or was pulled from a rig I knew to be in a front-end accident), was bent in some way...

Reactions: NskLJ
HP30 axles show up at the wrecking yards in Sun Valley all the time. I've been there with three decent options at one time.

HP30 axles show up at the wrecking yards in Sun Valley all the time. I've been there with three decent options at one time.

I rarely see them in Southern California. That was the only XJ in the whole Junkyard. I see a ton of ZJ and they are very common. I go to the junkyard like 10x a year so maybe my frequency is a factor. This is 1st one I saw in 2 years. Any case I felt the accident didn't affect the Dana HP30 and worth for anyone to check it out before it's gone.

Reactions: pc1p
I rarely see them in Southern California. That was the only XJ in the whole Junkyard. I see a ton of ZJ and they are very common. I go to the junkyard like 10x a year so maybe my frequency is a factor. This is 1st one I saw in 2 years. Any case I felt the accident didn't affect the Dana HP30 and worth for anyone to check it out before it's gone.
That's interesting for sure - in the PHX area (before I moved last summer), XJ D30HP's were easy to find at local junk and Jeep yards (roughly $150-200)... I guess maybe SoCal doesn't have the draw of the XJ that other parts of the country did.

Same here. It must be a regional thing because the two local yards here (Prescott/Flagstaff) are always full of XJs. AMC/Chrysler/Daimler eras.

Reactions: pc1p
Yeah I would say it's totally a regional factor. You can find tons of important Euro and JDM parts for cheap and I'm guessing it is more difficult finding 4x4 trucks and Jeep parts out here since we don't need 4x4 drive for city driving. The locals tends to buy more imports then domestic brands. It is impossible to find any Jeep Wrangler in any "pick a part" in all of Socal. I've been to 4 junkyard and never saw one in 10 years.
I was looking for a Dana 30HP for a year now couldn't find in any local listing facebook/ Craigslist/ offer up or junkyards for cheap. I didn't want spend more than $100 since I was going to take it apart and rebuild it. Most of them were going for north of $250 stock.

Last edited:
That opens up a whole can of worms building a new diff. My 30 is pretty much done. I guess I would have to strip it right there to get it cheap since everything would be replaced. I may check what parts I could transfer over.

Status
Not open for further replies.