Found Screw in Tire Lug

AjRagno

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
31x10.5 BFG KO2's with about 30,000 miles.

The screw is 1/2" long. In the photo, it's next to the lug it was removed from. The tire hasn't lost any pressure since (6 hours). I figure these tires are popular enough that someone may know how thick the carcass is below the tread and whether or not I should take it to a shop.

View attachment 153936

Keep the tire, but buy a tire plugging kit and throw it in the glovebox just in case. They're cheap (<$20) and actually work a good amount of the time. Much faster than putting on a spare, and they're often good for the life of the tire.

Back in the good old days I pulled a nail out of a tire on my Gremlin and screwed in a screw just like that to stop the leak. I think I used a plug a week later.

Anyway if it isn't leaking right now I'd just forget about it. The chances of something getting all the way in and then causing a leak are slim to none.

Thanks for the feedback. The tire is still holding pressure.

I dd purchase the tires from Discount Tire but did not purchase replacement certs. I just checked though and, yes, they do patch tires without charge. I'll have them take a look when they are next in for balancing.

Reactions: Apparition
Keep the tire, but buy a tire plugging kit and throw it in the glovebox just in case. They're cheap (<$20) and actually work a good amount of the time. Much faster than putting on a spare, and they're often good for the life of the tire.
Great advice - rope plugs are real easy to install, even easier on a vehicle like a Jeep with large tires.