Fox off-the-shelf non-tunable shocks, yes or no?

Mr. Bills

Raconteur Emeritus
Supporting Member
Area Code 605 USA & Código de área 415 MX
I had occasion to ride in a friend's JK on a snow run yesterday, recently equipped with what he described as Fox 2.0 "off the shelf, non-tunable" shocks. Highway ride was excellent, including in the twisties. No issues in the snow.

I know the shock du jour on this forum is the Rancho RS5000X, but what is the general consensus regarding the Fox shocks described above on a TJ/LJ?

I have BDS Fox 2.0 shocks (which I assume are similar to what you are talking about). If I'm honest, they don't seem to ride that great to me, but I have nothing to compare to right now (I've never driven my TJ with anything besides these shocks). I'll probably end up switching to some sort of tunable fox shock when I go to 4" springs, which should be happening within the next few weeks. I'll have a better idea how they actually ride when compared to other shocks then.

I suspect the JK's added weight might factor in.

My friend's 2011 2-door JK Rubicon has a curb weight of 4,082 lbs. vs. the 3,839 lb. curb weight of a 2006 TJ Rubicon. I doubt that the 243 lb. difference affects shock performance to any discernible degree. If it did, one would expect shock manufacturers to warn against giving rides to people heavier than the average Joe.

Last edited:
What about the design differences? Are the shocks in a JK mounted in the same configuration as a TJ? JK's are wider and longer. Wouldn't that factor in to a shocks performance? My TJ is on the light side at 3460lbs. with my fat ass in it.

Reactions: jodomcfrodo
I've run both and I preferred the Ranchos on-road.

Now the tunable Fox shocks I have now... that's another story :)

Are the non-tunable Foxes really not tunable?

These are the BDS tuned Fox IFP shocks.

Fox BDS 98224979
14.35 Compressed
8.60 Travel
22.95 Extended

BDS Fox 98224972
14.55 Compressed
7.60 Travel
22.15 Extended

The fronts are ok for bump stop requirements and travel on a low lift. The rears aren't as good because the stock rear mounts really limit what can go back there.

I don't know of any that aren't tunable. Which is he referring to?

Sometimes it is difficult to get a precise answer. I can ask, but this may be one of those times.

It has been years since I've purchased jeep shocks and my knowledge of desirable off-the-shelf choices is dated. To be more precise, I don't know a thing about Fox shocks. My current shocks have some miles on them with replacement on the horizon. That is why I am asking.

I don't know of any that aren't tunable. Which is he referring to?

Mr. Bills said:
. . . I can ask. . . .

Having not received a response to my voicemail message about the Fox shocks on my friend's JK, let's use the following Fox shocks as the basis of our discussion:

Fox 2.0 Performance Shock Set 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ w/5-6" Lift LJ
$461.74 & FREE Shipping
  • Part Numbers 980-24-645 (Travel (in) 9.100 Compressed (in) 15.650Extended (in) 24.750 and 985-24-042 (Travel (in) 10.100 Compressed (in) 16.650 Extended (in) 26.750)
  • Set of 4 Shocks for vehicles w/5-6" front Lift and w/4-6" rear Lift
51oPlTWnUbL._SL1152_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019FWZ17U/?tag=wranglerorg-20[/quote]

Having not received a response to my voicemail message about the Fox shocks on my friend's JK, let's use the following Fox shocks as the basis of our discussion:

Fox 2.0 Performance Shock Set 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ w/5-6" Lift LJ
$461.74 & FREE Shipping
  • Part Numbers 980-24-645 (Travel (in) 9.100 Compressed (in) 15.650Extended (in) 24.750 and 985-24-042 (Travel (in) 10.100 Compressed (in) 16.650 Extended (in) 26.750)
  • Set of 4 Shocks for vehicles w/5-6" front Lift and w/4-6" rear Lift
View attachment 73507

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019FWZ17U/?tag=wranglerorg-20
[/QUOTE]
Those are able to be tuned. I have at least 2 guys here locally that tell me they can do it.

Good to know, although I don't foresee myself ever taking the path of specially tuned shocks for my jeep.

Perhaps the relevant questions are why someone in the broad class of jeepers encompassed by the term weekend warrior would want these Fox shocks vs. a budget priced alternative like the Rancho 5000X? What are the qualities that explain the price differential? What do they do better in their off the shelf configuration?

Reactions: mikalcarbine
I have the fox 2.0 bds on my tj they were new and on the Jeep when I bought it and I think they ride a little harsh even at 28 psi on “c” rated 33x12.5 m/t’s. The right rear shock has also developed a leak too and they have not been off road hard mostly moderate fire road type stuff, next set I’m switching to the Rancho.
9D5CD7D4-387D-49AD-9289-FB3D2EA784F9.jpeg

I have the fox 2.0 bds on my tj they were new and on the Jeep when I bought it and I think they ride a little harsh even at 28 psi on “c” rated 33x12.5 m/t’s. The right rear shock has also developed a leak too and they have not been off road hard mostly moderate fire road type stuff, next set I’m switching to the Rancho.View attachment 73535
I wonder if the bump stops are correctly extended to accommodate the shocks, specifically the rear.

I wonder if the bump stops are correctly extended to accommodate the shocks, specifically the rear.
This is the front and rear springs, the front lower pad is roughly the same height as the upper tapered pad. In the rear the rear stops are much shorter. The pictures posted rear spring first pic, front spring second pic.
4C8E57FF-A4B3-41C6-9205-67E3CBDD8449.jpeg
10E306EB-2238-4AF5-B482-5482D5B60F25.jpeg

This is the front and rear springs, the front lower pad is roughly the same height as the upper tapered pad. In the rear the rear stops are much shorter. The pictures posted rear spring first pic, front spring second pic.View attachment 73541View attachment 73540
I can't tell what is going on, but if the shaft length is shorter than the distance been the bump stops (the hard parts) then there is a problem that might explain the leaking shocks.

Reactions: 1515art
I’ll measure it in the morning, this measurement as it sits normally on the ground?
That will work. Full compression is what really matters, but ride height might be close enough to understand what is happening.

Reactions: 1515art