Frame Opinions and Options

harbiison

TJ Enthusiast
Hey all, I had done some posting to my build thread when @Westtown Willy had brought my frame rust to attention. I had gone under and inspected but I wanted your guys advice on what’s the course of action. My step dads mechanic friend said it’s pretty clean and is solid but a second opinion would be nice. Thank you!

6755AEF5-D028-49D4-8B40-0C024D2A1B38.jpeg

EDBA7CB4-824D-4B8A-9A10-5260EB90A576.jpeg

2BBF60BE-3F20-4EB3-9BAA-4A176B42E05B.jpeg

2A173F37-0A81-4D1B-9CAF-5478C59B4953.jpeg

7D54B01B-39FC-4B7E-B08E-E066EFEDA296.jpeg

F61F6D57-6459-4B4B-8AD9-6F1AE58F3D2E.jpeg

A4335420-A3ED-47EB-BFEF-07E0656CD1E1.jpeg

3E169C91-7A50-437F-B683-4CB91DE318D1.jpeg

Id remove that skid and inspect the frame.

New York, so youre living on borrowed time with that one. I personally wouldn't drive it much less, take it in the woods.

You would greatly benefit from a frame swap from a salavage yard in the deep south or out west like Arizona or Socal.

You can get a brand new frame from Throttle Down Kustoms.

I live in your area and my frame was in just as bad, maybe even worse shape. I stripped it down as best I could and I did POR15 treatment on it. For the time being it looks like the coating is holding up to the copious amount of salt they dump on the streets. With that being said, I cant say the same for the inside of the frame where you cant get at so I try to flush it out as best I can throughout the winter.
Edit - PM me if you want to swing by. I'd be happy to look it over.

Reactions: harbiison
I can see chunks of rust in the frame holes, so my guess it that it's not in great shape. How does the metal feel when you feel around inside the frame?

Unless you are prepared to do the work yourself or pay $6k out of pocket, don't even entertain the thought of a frame swap. Safe T Caps are a much better solution for 95% of people.

Reactions: JMT and TWiG01
I can see chunks of rust in the frame holes, so my guess it that it's not in great shape. How does the metal feel when you feel around inside the frame?

Unless you are prepared to do the work yourself or pay $6k out of pocket, don't even entertain the thought of a frame swap. Safe T Caps are a much better solution for 95% of people.
the frame feels pretty solid and there’s obviously chunks of mud but you can still see most of the black original coating on the frame in most spots.

I live in your area and my frame was in just as bad, maybe even worse shape. I stripped it down as best I could and I did POR15 treatment on it. For the time being it looks like the coating is holding up to the copious amount of salt they dump on the streets. With that being said, I cant say the same for the inside of the frame where you cant get at so I try to flush it out as best I can throughout the winter.
Edit - PM me if you want to swing by. I'd be happy to look it over.
i’m mainly worried about the inside the outside doesn’t appear to be completely destroyed and i may have to take your offer up!

the frame feels pretty solid and there’s obviously chunks of mud but you can still see most of the black original coating on the frame in most spots.
I'm talking about this. That looks like a big ol' chunk of rust. You need to feel inside the frame in the big hole where it curves over the rear wheels. That is rot spot numero-uno. Then feel inside the frame right over the skid plate. That is numero dos. Can you feel smooth metal in these parts or are they covered in scaly rust?

7D54B01B-39FC-4B7E-B08E-E066EFEDA296.jpeg

Reactions: harbiison
Like you said the outside doesn't matter, take a needlescaler to it. A wire brush will take too long to remove the weakened layers of metal. It's the inside that counts. You need to get an endoscope and look inside. Have hope, you're not the only person dealing with rusty frames. You won't find out if it's solid or not by posting pictures of the outside of the frame.

Like you said the outside doesn't matter, take a needlescaler to it. A wire brush will take too long to remove the weakened layers of metal. It's the inside that counts. You need to get an endoscope and look inside. Have hope, you're not the only person dealing with rusty frames. You won't find out if it's solid or not by posting pictures of the outside of the frame.
True story. I will be replacing this frame possibly over the winter. The inside of mine is hideous lol

take a wire brush to the area in your first picture to show how deep the rust goes. Then take a flashlight and shine it in one hole while you take a picture from another hole. gotta see the inside to see how bad it is.