Michigan Frame repair / safety cap install in Michigan?

Leinhit

TJ Enthusiast
My frame is getting bad, right at the rear shackles of course.

Who in the Grand Rapids, Mi area can install the safety cap kit? Or is there something else?

I watched the YouTube vid from safety cap and wished they were local, very nice repair with the sand blasting, new frame kit and then under coated.

Suggestions? Price? Cost is an issue of course.

I have access to a plasma cutter and wire welder, but not sure on my skill level to take it on.

I was just getting ready to under coat it with chemical rust converter but maybe shouldn't until the repair is done.
45975747ba608dab7fa48ab3e582d66b.jpg
59e746405a7dfbeba0e23c82effa9b1a.jpg
eb5e5707db097ef204c242c03572f6f5.jpg
6599e5a99a13267b054074f1575b7b38.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I have no idea who in your area does the Safety Caps.

I will say don't bother with any rust converter at this time.

Others will say part it out and get a better one, but Safety Cap makes those long frame pieces to be used for something and this may be one of them.

https://www.autorust.com/safetcap-installer-network/
Looks like there is one in Zeeland and one in Holland.
Thanks! I know both towns very well.

I will call them and start checking if feasible price wise, or if I have to try it myself.

The safety cap long piece from rear shackles too the front past the skid plate is like $450 each. Hate to see what installed.

I can't see parting it out, I like it for one and put too much time and effort into it the past year for another.

Thought I read some where on here there was a recommended frame repair in the GR area too. Maybe not a safety cap installer.

My frame is getting bad, right at the rear shackles of course.

Who in the Grand Rapids, Mi area can install the safety cap kit? Or is there something else?

Are you a member of the grand rapids Jeep club? We've got a member, Daniel Neely, who does it. Super nice guy. You can reach him on Facebook.

I had my caps done by the same guys in the video you saw. They sandblasted the entire undercarriage, then installed the full-length caps on both sides and then undercoated everything. But it was quite pricey. I only had 75k miles on my 2000, so it made sense to me economically, and I can’t do that kind of work myself.

My only advice is get someone who really knows what they are doing. If you don’t cut out all the rust—and I mean all of it—you’ll have big problems again soon. Plenty of guys have a cousin named Earl who can do the job for a grand and a pack of beer, but it’ll be a total hack job.

Don’t listen to people who say only do a frame swap, or only part it out, but also don’t listen to folks who think safe t caps can be done cheaply. If the rest is the frame is OK, and the body looks good, the cap route makes a lot of sense. Just know you get what you pay for.

Reactions: fourpointzero
Are you a member of the grand rapids Jeep club? We've got a member, Daniel Neely, who does it. Super nice guy. You can reach him on Facebook.
I'm not but I'm only about 30 mins from GR.. wish I saw this before I ordered the replacement pieces. I have the plasma cutter and welder... Just never did it before.

Would be nice to have some experience guiding the project.

I had my caps done by the same guys in the video you saw. They sandblasted the entire undercarriage, then installed the full-length caps on both sides and then undercoated everything. But it was quite pricey. I only had 75k miles on my 2000, so it made sense to me economically, and I can’t do that kind of work myself.

My only advice is get someone who really knows what they are doing. If you don’t cut out all the rust—and I mean all of it—you’ll have big problems again soon. Plenty of guys have a cousin named Earl who can do the job for a grand and a pack of beer, but it’ll be a total hack job.

Don’t listen to people who say only do a frame swap, or only part it out, but also don’t listen to folks who think safe t caps can be done cheaply. If the rest is the frame is OK, and the body looks good, the cap route makes a lot of sense. Just know you get what you pay for.
Thanks, it was an impressive video.. it even looked expensive to have done. But looked professional.

I got 186k on my 2001.. no escaping rust for long in the great white North. It's something we have to live with or keep buying new vehicles every 10 years max.