Frame Replacement

AYS

Have a 2000 TJ with a rusted frame, a kit won't help in this case. Anyone have experience replacing the frame and can share how much it might cost to replace it?

Where is a good place to find a replacement frame and what do I need to keep in mind when looking for one?

Its really a quite simple project to remove the body from the frame. The biggest concern is carefully removing the 11 body mount bolts. Try to pee soak them long before you try to force them.....take your time back and forth.
The southwest is loaded with used frames, nasty part is the freight to get them up here.
Your project will cost $2-3K
Good luck

I did it with a engine hoist, was sketchy at first since I was balancing it with only 2 lift points at the seat bolts since I only had one chain, but to put it back on I used some brake rotors as counter balances to help do this with one person. No body damage or scratches either, I just made sure to place a lot of thick carboard and tape around the door sill. If I were to do it again, I would use 4 points.

This guy is from Minnesota, there was a place In the cities somewhere, can't find the add now, who brings frames back from them SW. less than a year ago he was asking 1200 for these frames. So if the guy does this project himself, where is her going to piss away 4500. THIS IS NOT A HARD PROJECT
l

This guy is from Minnesota, there was a place In the cities somewhere, can't find the add now, who brings frames back from them SW. less than a year ago he was asking 1200 for these frames. So if the guy does this project himself, where is her going to piss away 4500. THIS IS NOT A HARD PROJECT
l
Show me an actual link to an actual rust-free TJ frame selling for $1200 and we'll talk. I heard about so-and-so somewhere selling one for this much is not helpful. People who have actually done the project—and done it right—always know to budget a lot more than what they think it's going to cost. How about the rusted-out suspension? How about that rusty oil pan? How about all the other rusted-out crap that needs to be replaced? How about the rusted-out torque boxes? How about the body mounts? How about...

He says his frame is so far gone that even Safe T Caps won't work. In what world is the rest of the Jeep A-OK and ready to be swapped out nice and tidy?

Show me an actual link to an actual rust-free TJ frame selling for $1200 and we'll talk. I heard about so-and-so somewhere selling one for this much is not helpful. People who have actually done the project—and done it right—always know to budget a lot more than what they think it's going to cost. How about the rusted-out suspension? How about that rusty oil pan? How about all the other rusted-out crap that needs to be replaced? How about the rusted-out torque boxes? How about the body mounts? How about...

He says his frame is so far gone that even Safe T Caps won't work. In what world is the rest of the Jeep A-OK and ready to be swapped out nice and tidy?
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/03-x-frame-swap-and-freshen-up.45798/
I swapped a frame on an 03 TJ X. The frame was crap, vertical cracks near the front lower control arm mounts. In my opinion, frame caps would not have helped. The Jeep only had around 130k and the tub was completely rust free. Every body mount bolt came out clean, I did change out the water pump, cooling system, valve cover gasket, and gave it a tune up while the tub was out of the way. It’s all very Jeep dependent, for example my brother in law is swapping the tub on his TJ. His frame was pretty much perfect with no internal flaking, but the body mount torque boxes and rear floors on the tub were rusted through.
21FCDB00-EF51-460F-9AB7-BE1B632BB5F4.jpeg

Reactions: Irun
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/03-x-frame-swap-and-freshen-up.45798/
I swapped a frame on an 03 TJ X. The frame was crap, vertical cracks near the front lower control arm mounts. In my opinion, frame caps would not have helped. The Jeep only had around 130k and the tub was completely rust free. Every body mount bolt came out clean, I did change out the water pump, cooling system, valve cover gasket, and gave it a tune up while the tub was out of the way. It’s all very Jeep dependent, for example my brother in law is swapping the tub on his TJ. His frame was pretty much perfect with no internal flaking, but the body mount torque boxes and rear floors on the tub were rusted through.
View attachment 286400
How much did your frame cost, out of curiosity? Glad your swap went smoothly and that your tub was rust-free, but I suspect this guy in Minnesota will not have the same luck.

I did a frame and tub swap in 2018. I was lucky that a local guy purchases wrecked TJs from auctions and parts them out so I got everything from him. Bought the frame and tub for 300 and 500 CAD. The frame wasn't exactly rust free but it was solid and I just keep up with the fluid film treatment every fall.

Reactions: JMT
How much did your frame cost, out of curiosity? Glad your swap went smoothly and that your tub was rust-free, but I suspect this guy in Minnesota will not have the same luck.
1400 for the frame. It was from an 05 X and I found it on marketplace about an hour and a half from my home. The previous owner had it leaning on the side of his house I used my trailer to pick it up took both of us to load it but wasn’t that bad.

Last edited:
I swapped mine about 5 years ago. Took me two years to find a frame. I paid 500 bucks for pretty mint 03 frame and had it sand blasted and galavanized other than that I bought new body mounts. If your willing to do the work yourself and already have the tools and knowledge it’s not that bad or expensive. It’s all the “while I’m here” stuff that adds up. Luckily mine was pretty well sorted before the swap. I also got everything I needed in advance.

Reactions: JMT
I spent right around $5k when I swapped mine. This was a combination of the frame, replacement parts, tools, shop supplies, and even some work from a local repair shop.

Stack some cinder blocks at each end of the rocker panels, with a 4x4 board spanning the length of the rocker. Remove the rear axle. Remove the front fenders and grill. Separate the tub from the frame. Lower the rear of the frame onto a furniture dolly until the tub rests on the 4x4's and the rear frame axle humps will clear under the tub. The frame will fit between the cinder blocks, roll the whole thing out the front and begin swapping everything to the new frame.

20210706_121651.jpg

I spent right around $5k when I swapped mine. This was a combination of the frame, replacement parts, tools, shop supplies, and even some work from a local repair shop.
Guess I forgot to add total cost. I just found my spreadsheet and with the cost of the frame and all the other upgrades (cooling system, rubicon take off springs, rancho shocks, rubicon rims and tires, trans service, trans cooler, body lift, etc.) I was at $3578.49. That was me doing the work so no labor cost.

I had my local shop install my parking brake cables-I was entirely done with the cold garage. Otherwise I did it all myself.

Here’s one in Dallas https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/d/dallas-jeep-wrangler-tj-parts/7397470694.html