Frame rust preventative

oldschoolsdime92

TJ Enthusiast
This has probably been beat to death, I'm I'm going to beat it some more. I'll start by saying, I don't care for POR 15. The proper prep they want for an assembled vehicle is almost impossible. I see tons of recommendations for Eastwood products, but no long term reviews. What are you guys using to coat the inside and outsides of your frames?

Reactions: Chris
I use Eastwood Internal Frame Coating for the inside of the frame and Fluid Film for the outside.

With those two you should have NO issues whatsoever. Let me tell you man, that Fluid Film is worth it's weight on gold. Check out some of the YouTube videos they've done on it and you'll see how amazing it really is. Coat the underside a few times a year (maybe 4 times a year depending on how harsh of an environment you live in) and you're good to go!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OKBFBS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I'd get a few cans though at least!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B93ZXGS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I planned for eastwoods internal coating. I'm rather torn on the outside of things. One part of me, wants to go for the eastwood encapsulator and then chase it with the chassis black.

I kind of wondered how the fluid film would work as a top coat when I was all done.

I planned for eastwoods internal coating. I'm rather torn on the outside of things. One part of me, wants to go for the eastwood encapsulator and then chase it with the chassis black.

I kind of wondered how the fluid film would work as a top coat when I was all done.

The fluid film is an excellent top coat. Easily one of the best products I've ever used in my life. As far as an encapsulate goes though, I can't be of much help there unfortunately.

I got fluid film based on Chris' suggestion. It's great stuff. My only problem is that my dog loves to lick it off the frame! Thankfully it's non-toxic.

I got fluid film based on Chris' suggestion. It's great stuff. My only problem is that my dog loves to lick it off the frame! Thankfully it's non-toxic.

I started using this stuff and it's great. The lack of rust (ZERO!) after a full winter of salt baths is literally amazing. In fact it even works in repelling mud. There's no mud sticking to where I sprayed the stuff.

The downside to it is that it's hard to wash off and greasy. I washed my wheels twice and it's still on there and ruined my soap sponge.

It also works great as a lubricator. My soft doors have rusty handles but one spray of FF and they open and close like brand new doors. It also stopped my squealing tailgate hinges.

Reactions: Reign Mack
I started using this stuff and it's great. The lack of rust (ZERO!) after a full winter of salt baths is literally amazing. In fact it even works in repelling mud. There's no mud sticking to where I sprayed the stuff.

The downside to it is that it's hard to wash off and greasy. I washed my wheels twice and it's still on there and ruined my soap sponge.

It also works great as a lubricator. My soft doors have rusty handles but one spray of FF and they open and close like brand new doors. It also stopped my squealing tailgate hinges.
It never dries out so I bet it would be a PITA to get off wheels and sponges. They show it being used as a tire shine.. I think I'll pass on that. The smell takes some getting used to also. I've gotten it too heavy in some places and wiped it off and it still leaves a nice protective film.

I'm really happy with my Eastwoods internal coating and my Eastwoods Rubberized Encapsulator on the exterior. I will be recoating again this summer (been on a little over one year), then move onto Fluid Film from then on.

I still have three cans of Fluid Film sitting in my garage waiting to coat the inside of my frame.

Well it only took four months but I finally got around to coating the inside of the frame. It was really easy and only took about fifteen minutes. I also plugged the large side holes at the front and the back to prevent the tires from force feeding dirt and sand into the frame.

What did you use to plug the holes?
Well it only took four months but I finally got around to coating the inside of the frame. It was really easy and only took about fifteen minutes. I also plugged the large side holes at the front and the back to prevent the tires from force feeding dirt and sand into the frame.

Does anyone use POR 15 before the FF? ...or skip the POR?

On vehicles in the past, yes. However, I only use POR15 when the rust is heavy, since it's a process. I sand off all the rust I can, follow the POR15 steps (including the primer), then paint on the POR15 and let it cure.

Once that's all done and it's dry, I use the Fluid Film.

Again though, that's only to take care of heavy existing rust. If it's just tiny bits of rust or preventing rust from ever forming, then I just stick to the Fluid Film.

Thats all you can do. If its going to be a long term vehicle for you-maybe round up a spare clean frame, and have it coated with something, and have it ready for the day you need it =)