France wants to ban cars that run on gas by 2040

One of my former coworkers (he retired) claimed that a Toyota Prius had a larger carbon foot print over its life than a humvee. This takes into account mining for the ore for the body of the Humvee versus the mining for the resources that are used to create the batteries, etc. I would Dismiss a claim made by most people but Brian was the most well read person I've ever personally met. If he wasn't working or hiking, he was reading.

Reactions: JMT, StG58 and LTTJ
This wouldn't work in the United States, I agree.

I have done a lot of reading, and my understanding is that mining the metals that go into the batteries of these electric cars (along with disposing of the batteries) is actually more pollutant than the entire lifespan of a internal combustion engine vehicle.

I don't know for 100% certain if that's true or not, but I suspect it is.

If it is true, it just goes to show how blind and ignorant people are. Sure, you drastically cut down on the amount of fuel consumption, but you're still polluting the earth in other ways.

This wouldn't work in the United States, I agree.

I have done a lot of reading, and my understanding is that mining the metals that go into the batteries of these electric cars (along with disposing of the batteries) is actually more pollutant than the entire lifespan of a internal combustion engine vehicle.

I don't know for 100% certain if that's true or not, but I suspect it is.

If it is true, it just goes to show how blind and ignorant people are. Sure, you drastically cut down on the amount of fuel consumption, but you're still polluting the earth in other ways.

Seems to me like what we really need is some sort of massive natural disaster that wipes out half the world's population. Okay, I'm not actually that evil to wish for that, but sometimes nature does have to restore balance.

Reactions: Chris and StG58
I remember reading an article on electric vehicles. Basically nickel for the batteries is extracted with toxic chemicals. The earth left behind is of no use for 1000's of years due to the toxicity left behind.

Reactions: StG58
I remember reading an article on electric vehicles. Basically nickel for the batteries is extracted with toxic chemicals. The earth left behind is of no use for 1000's of years due to the toxicity left behind.

Yep, I read something along those lines as well. It just goes to show how stupid (and gullible) most people are. They drive their electric vehicles around thinking they're so much better for the environment.

Reactions: StG58
Electric vehicles make the non educated person happy cause. He are doing "something" for the environment without knowing the truth behind it all. Mpg are all that matter people like that will leave a shitty planet for our grand kids and beyond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Yup, read the same thing. Plus all the rare earth minerals in the batteries, motors and control systems.
Electric vehicles make the non educated person happy cause. He are doing "something" for the environment without knowing the truth behind it all. Mpg are all that matter people like that will leave a shitty planet for our grand kids and beyond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They never stop to think about where the electricity comes from either. Coal, Nucs, Hydro? It's gotta come frome someplace...

Reactions: Widawg and Chris
Basically nickel for the batteries is extracted with toxic chemicals. The earth left behind is of no use for 1000's of years due to the toxicity left behind.

Not that toxic chemicals are used, but that refining out the nickel, gold, ... also refines out, concentrates, other naturally occurring chemicals, which are then "disposed" of in tailings ponds and underground caverns. But in highly concentrated forms which are toxic.

Most of the European bans are planned for the biggest cities. And the goal is not to replace gas cars with electric cars but to also increase electric transit systems which do not require batteries. Cars in most rural areas will remain powered by fossil fuels for many more years.

Amazing fact, the Tube in London was powered by electricity before cars were even invented.... in 1863.

I think England is doing the same so my Uncle was telling me...he still lives in the west country.
England is 2040 like the rest of Europe, but the government will price most petrol and deisal cars out of major city through massive tax hikes over the next 5 years

England is 2040 like the rest of Europe, but the government will price most petrol and deisal cars out of major city through massive tax hikes over the next 5 years
Dammmmmmn !! a new world order by the sounds of it lol. So they are really trying to get people to go electric huh, and if you cant afford a 'new' electric car your catching the bus or train then.

Reactions: Widawg and Chris