France wants to ban cars that run on gas by 2040

Most of the European bans are planned for the biggest cities. And the goal is not to replace gas cars with electric cars but to also increase electric transit systems which do not require batteries. Cars in most rural areas will remain powered by fossil fuels for many more years.

Amazing fact, the Tube in London was powered by electricity before cars were even invented.... in 1863.
Rule Britannia...makes me proud to be British :emoji_flag_gb:

Reactions: billiebob and Chris
Dammmmmmn !! a new world order by the sounds of it lol. So they are really trying to get people to go electric huh, and if you cant afford a 'new' electric car your catching the bus or train then.
They will be offering grants for people to move over but it's all up in the air. It really depends if they go ahead with the expansion of the congestion zone because most of us live inside that new area. The existing zone is mainly businesses.
http://www.buyacar.co.uk/cars/487/london-t-charge-and-ulez-emissions-charges

Reactions: Chris and Kiwi TJ
imagine what it would do to the Middle East
And Alberta, and Texas, and..... but same time we will still use the same amount of energy, just from a different source. We have friends in Colorado, they went solar heat in 1983, and solar electric in 2012..... they now get a monthly cheque from the electric company. I know they are just waiting for an electric Subaru.

My daughter lives in London for 12 years now and even with a 6 year old in school they have never owned a car. No need, the tube, bus, rail is soo good. And always on time.
The Tube is usually pretty good but saying trains and busses are always on time is far from accurate. Its true though if you are not old or disabled you don't really need a vehicle to get by if you live and work in the city, even more so now that some of our Tube lines run 24 hour service.

Buses, I remember waiting at the stop, the LED said Bus, 4 minutes, my daughter said I'm going to get a coffee Dad and 3 minutes later as she came back, the bus was a block away.

Same with the train but at the train it was even better, I'd boarded, she stopped for some food because food on the train is double what it is in the station, she was walking beside the train as it pulled out, 10 cars from our seats, so she stepped on just before it moved and walked thru the train to join me.

And the Tube, I checked the night before at the local tube stop and they confirmed my route to Heathrow. Unfortunately there was a construction detour. When the "guy" directing the detour found out I HAD checked the route the previous day he went ballistic. "Who did you ask? When?" and "I will chastise him supremely. He will know he screwed up"!!

Try any of those things in North America. Chastised supremely !!! I love that. Me? North America? I get to the bus, train, plane hours before it departs. I bet if we could deliver on time service like the UK, lots of people would give up their cars.

A few anecdotal stories about limited use of london transport doesn’t really compare to the millions of tax payers who use it every weekday for years on end, it has its issues, better than North America makes it far from perfect! once you leave inner london the quality of public transport services falls off rapidly that’s why a lot of us still drive despite local and central governments efforts tax and price car owners off the road. On average average its costs around £3000 a year to own a car in this city that’s the main reason why 70% of homes don’t have a car. Uber is currently appealing a ban here but they wouldn’t be so popular if public transport was adiquate in the city. Our transport system should be compared to France or Japan (not North America) and it doesn’t even come close once the leave the capital.

A few anecdotal stories about limited use of london transport doesn’t really compare to the millions of tax payers who use it every weekday for years on end, it has its issues, better than North America makes it far from perfect! once you leave inner london the quality of public transport services falls off rapidly that’s why a lot of us still drive despite local and central governments efforts tax and price car owners off the road. On average average its costs around £3000 a year to own a car in this city that’s the main reason why 70% of homes don’t have a car. Uber is currently appealing a ban here but they wouldn’t be so popular if public transport was adiquate in the city. Our transport system should be compared to France or Japan (not North America) and it doesn’t even come close once the leave the capital.
mmm so British Rail hasn't changed at since I left then... :p lol
BR.jpg

I first heard of this from friend that mentioned the UK had passed legislation to ban all internal combustion motors by 2050. I'll probably be in my grave but then, but feel sorry for younger generations. While I just purchased my first Jeep (98 TJ), been riding motorcycles since I was 21 (1980). I love the way the internal combustion motors sound n move. As mentioned before me the total carbon footprint is actually much higher for hybrid and even full electric vehicles than our Jeeps or motorcycles.

Wake up people. This is a way for governments to control our freedom of movement.

Widawg

Reactions: Chris and JMT
Koenigsegg just got the record for zero to 250mph to zero. With 1 V8 plus 3 electric motors..... in 37 seconds.
Me, I can't wait for a Wrangler with 4 small electric motors. Run under water. Run upside down.

http://www.koenigsegg.com
Agreed, really looking forward to these future technologies. Progress has been stagnant for far too long.

Reactions: Chris
Not much progress over a chariot if you ask me. Still just moving from point A to B. The wheel is probably the single greatest advance in land travel.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
I hate to be a stick in the mud (that's another discussion), but as mentioned previously the carbon footprint is actually higher for electric vehicles. There's nothing wrong with the internal combustion motor. Let's burn cleaner fuels! Hydrogen burns without any CO2. In the short term propane also burns cleaner than gasoline. Where do people think all the additional electricity needed to charge your batteries (the manufacture of which create lots of nasty byproducts) will come from?

Reactions: StG58 and JMT