IMPORTANT FRAUD ALERT

Did a bit of reading here, so what do you all propose to use for payments?
I have always used PayPal and money orders. Both options reveal receivers name which can be verified with ID.
My and my friends banks have been endorsing Zelle for the past year, when using it shows name and phone number of the recipient associated with the service. Not a foolproof method, but it is something.

Outside of that, what is reasonable? Escrow services? This is internet, unfortunately that is the risk associated with buying and selling on marketplaces.
If every sale is going to turn into a witch hunt, what is the point of marketplace ?

I only use PayPal - and I've never had a problem. I've had to report a couple of issues - and they take their sweet ass time responding, but had a favorable outcome each time. They do have their problems, but the rest either aren't as secure or they're a smartphone thing (or both), so PayPal it is.

Reactions: cliffish
That I wasn't aware of - I was under the impression that Venmo and Zelle were smartphone only things. What about Cashapp or whatever its called?

Zelle is a service that's available through most major banks. I use it to quickly move money from one bank to the other (only takes seconds to complete).

Paypal acquired Venmo around 2013 and has been available on my desktop for as long as I've used it.

Use PayPal goods and services or do what I do and get a Square account. You can pay people online with invoices and use your credit card or debit card in which case you’re covered. Trust me, the Square route is the way to go.

Reactions: RINC and Rickyd
I only use PayPal - and I've never had a problem. I've had to report a couple of issues - and they take their sweet ass time responding, but had a favorable outcome each time. They do have their problems, but the rest either aren't as secure or they're a smartphone thing (or both), so PayPal it is.

My buddy had issues moving money to himself while he was overseas traveling for 3 years (2008-2011). Paypal locked up his transfers and wouldn't give the funds back. I think he got it back after he came back to the States (it was around $10k total).

On principle, I boycotted PP and used Venmo for years (but the joke was on me bc PP owned Venmo).

That's good to know - but unless there's a particular reason for me to change, why bother?

Just sharing the facts. I don't mind if you like to use PP.

Edit: It's nice to be proficient on alternative platforms in case that's what it takes to get a deal done. Not knowing how something works tends to add perceived risk even if it's not actually risky.

FWIW, I made four Venmo payments when I bought the used turbo. But, I had the seller's home address, phone number, and our texts/forum messages to prove that my payments were in consideration for that kit. I further mitigated the risk to a level that I felt comfortable with by asking questions. It helped to know the seller was 500 miles away rather than in the Congo or Zimbabwe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba
Zelle is now refunding people who have been scammed.

If you were scammed throw a fit and try to get your $$$ back.

Reactions: MikeE024
Just sharing the facts. I don't mind if you like to use PP.

Edit: It's nice to be proficient on alternative platforms in case that's what it takes to get a deal done. Not knowing how something works tends to add perceived risk even if it's not actually risky.

FWIW, I made four Venmo payments when I bought the used turbo. But, I had the seller's home address, phone number, and our texts/forum messages to prove that my payments were in consideration for that kit. I further mitigated the risk to a level that I felt comfortable with by asking questions. It helped to know the seller was 500 miles away rather than in the Congo or Zimbabwe.

That has its limit, just as it does here. I have great seller feedback on two firearm forums, but that is because I was active before the scamming craze. Today, as a new member, there is nothing one can do to prove their good intent on any platrofrm.

That has its limit, just as it does here. I have great seller feedback on two firearm forums, but that is because I was active before the scamming craze.

Of course there are limits. I simply showed an example on how a person can lower their chances of being scammed. BTW, I made that purchase after the fraud scare.

Today, as a new member, there is nothing one can do to prove their good intent on any platrofrm.

That's definitely not true as there are things one can do to increase their credibility.

For example, if I really wanted to sell something as a new member on this forum, I could increase my credibility by providing my personal information and encouraging people to verify my information. I could also provide the purchase receipts for the items that I'm selling. I know this to be true because I just sold a Ballenger wideband and AEM water/meth kit on a car forum because I knew folks could use the items there. I have 4 posts as of today, yet I sold both items in less than two weeks by employing what I just wrote above.

If you don't feel comfortable as the purchaser, then don't do the deal. And if you don't want to put in the effort to sell the item, then that's your choice as well.

These are basic concepts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba
Use PayPal goods and services or do what I do and get a Square account. You can pay people online with invoices and use your credit card or debit card in which case you’re covered. Trust me, the Square route is the way to go.

Last time I looked at Square - which was some time ago - it was a smartphone only thing.

Agree that the only way to protect yourself is to pay using Paypal goods and services and use a credit card.

If you pay cash on paypal and something goes wrong, you have to do a long dispute process with Paypal. Then they rule that you're screwed. Years ago on an ebay auction, I received half of an empty box. USPS marked it as delivered, so I was out a few hundred $.

If you use a credit card, then file a dispute with the CC company. The CC company will do a charge back to paypal and you're done.

Same with all payment services. If you use a CC, you're protected. Otherwise, not likely.

Though this can be bad for sellers. Often places will not accept CC because it's easier for them to lose money. I'm having some work done by a fabricator. He has had one too many problems with CC charge backs, so he's cash only. In that case, you have to go by reputation.

But, put yourself into the shoes of the seller for a second, because this issue goes both ways.
On other forums it was an unwritten rule to only use friends and family feature of pp, because buyers would file a false claim and it was a pita for seller to resolve it in their favor. Paypal is not a simple innocent middle man as they used to be, they have their policies and interests as well. Unfortunately they are very convenient and there is no equivalent alternative (or used to not be)

Looks like i am reiterating what was already said. Make sure you have a good bank that is ready to step in and put a choke on PP nonsense, and don't underestimate the significance of CC protection.

Cash or CC only for me. Wife uses Zelle but only from people we know such as our rentals and our RV storage lot. Zelle is linked to its own bank account which we transfer the money to other accounts. If I do not know you it’s cash only and I check each bill. If it’s a large amount of cash or a check I’ll meet you at mine or your bank. Sometimes you have to walk away from a deal. I don’t need anything that bad. Sad that we must always be on our guard.