IMPORTANT FRAUD ALERT

Because it’s very helpful for in person stuff. I can meet a guy locally to buy a part from him and pay him instantly without cash. I use it all the time for stuff I buy locally.
Can't you do the same thing with PayPal or Venmo (whatever its called)?

Just saw that PayPal shit couple days ago and man are they backpedaling. Their claim it was an underling error is pure BS as they have teams of lawyers looking at everything they put out.

Of course it was. They just wanted to see if they could get away with it. People should cease doing business with them just out of principal based on that. They may have backtracked but what a garbage company to begin with, sheesh.

Of course it was. They just wanted to see if they could get away with it. People should cease doing business with them just out of principal based on that. They may have backtracked but what a garbage company to begin with, sheesh.

They have become way too big for their britches

Reactions: Chris

That's too bad. It definitely appears they were testing the waters, then backtracking.

PayPal has been the only method of payment I will use with online individuals. Venmo and Zelle are dangerous unless you know who you are dealing with. Add PayPal to the groups that are anti-US Constitution and Free Speech. Ironically they make themselves judge, jury and executioner of what is "hate" speech while delivering their own form of "hate" speech.

I just did a Venmo transaction, and it gave me the option to make it secure (with an additional fee to the seller). Any one know how secure it really is?

its secure. Venmo will return the money if you or the seller claim fraud. Secure meaning = insuring the money.

All the platforms are “secure” but not all offer that protection fee

Reactions: pc1p
I just did a Venmo transaction, and it gave me the option to make it secure (with an additional fee to the seller). Any one know how secure it really is?

Yeah, my guess is they are offering this service now because they know people are buying things online and want the peace of mind.

Not in my experience..I put down a deposit on a jeep and checked that box for the secure option. Long story short the person ghosted me and venmo refused to do anything about it...fuck venmo

Not in my experience..I put down a deposit on a jeep and checked that box for the secure option. Long story short the person ghosted me and venmo refused to do anything about it...fuck venmo

Damn, I hope it wasn’t too much $. I’ll never leave a deposit for any vehicle. If it’s not available when I come to buy/look at it, it wasn’t meant to be. Its a shame, but there are just too many dirtbags out there.

Damn, I hope it wasn’t too much $. I’ll never leave a deposit for any vehicle. If it’s not available when I come to buy/look at it, it wasn’t meant to be. Its a shame, but there are just too many dirtbags out there.

It was 500 and I knew it was a gamble...to be clear this was a realistic priced jeep but was 6 hours away so I just wanted to secure it. I got burned but lesson learned

Lesson learned! If you don’t know someone personally, NEVER pay them via Zelle.

Reactions: dvngdg
This is certainly something that everyone should take pause, and review their habits. I'm very involved, and have been with "Ransomware" situations, and with many other scam situations. In the "security" world, there have been alarms for the past 3-4 months that there would be a massive uptick in online scams and phishing. These are well designed, and very, very organized. This is a Multi-Billion Dollar industry, with and B. It seems like $500, it adds up massively, this happens all over the internet. Sadly, they are going hard core at the elderly as well.

Venmo and Zelle and a few others like them, are like putting cash in an envelope and sending to a hidden address.

There are office buildings full of people, that are "employed" by a scamming organization. As a job, they crawl the entire web looking for "for sale" pages and on and on. There's absolutely no way @Chris or anyone can realistically stop this. It's very much why (It's a PITA) every password should be different. If your facebook or LinkedIn or any other site is compromised (those big names have all been compromised) then this happens, they use the PW and email to log into places. It's crazy how much is readily there to do this. Just like we lock our cars and doors, this is the same, don't trust anyone, it sucks, but it's just where we are in the world.

As an aside, my son went to West Point last year, I've learned a ton about our Military, and my best friend at Dell works all DOD etc at the highest level. The newest, and largest building going in at West Point, is "Cyber Warfare" building, and it's NOT mostly defensive. Also, Cyber is now a "War Fighting" branch of the Army...as in Infantry, Armor, Aviation, .... Cyber.

So this is not going away, and unfortunately as in day to day life, there is no protection that can help, past you being your own security.

We use Zelle payments from almost all of tenants 30+ with no issues so far. Its a separate account at the bank and then we transfer the money to another account. When we set up an account we are always face to face and have them send $1 for a test. Zelle saves us from bad checks. No more leaving them under the door mat or getting lost in the mail. Also we can be on the road traveling during the first of the month. The thing we like about Zelle is that is through our bank.

Just like my debt cards I only use it at my bank or other banks that do not charge me. I have one set up on a special account that I use for international travel because I can get the best exchange rate that way and if it is compromised I will not lose a lot of money. Although I still look for skimmers and pin hole cameras.

You answered why this works. It's an excellent tool, just like cash, under the right circumstance.

Exactly

It's perfect for in person transactions or for people who you know personally. You just don't want to use it for someone you've never met before (unless it's someone who comes highly regarded such as Blaine, etc.).