IMPORTANT FRAUD ALERT

I've just resorted to telling folks if they won't send cash in an envelope, then don't use those payment methods because there is little to no recourse.

That about sums it up.

This just happened again with @techster82.

What is happening here is that members who haven't been on the forum in a long period of time are getting their accounts hijacked. This is likely due in part to the fact that most people couldn't choose a strong password if their life depended on it.

The biggest telltale sign that you're being scammed is if the seller requests Zelle or Venmo. DO NOT ever send someone money via Zelle or Venmo (or CashApp) unless you know them personally and you know for certain you can trust them. Zelle and Venmo do not offer purchase protection like PayPal.

The last one was pretty obvious since @Apparition discovered the winch he was selling was a copy and paste from Expedition Portal.

Just be sure to use your brain folks. If it sounds too good to be true, it likely isn't.

That was way too good of a deal to be real. A quick right click on the picture and "Search image with google lens" brought up exactly where the picture was from.

Well after 2 months, my bank "snatched back" the $500 loan from my account. They decided they were not able to recover the disputed amount. Goodbye $500!

Hard Lesson Learned.

The bright side is that I redoubled my efforts to find some other household financial assistance. I was able to get close to $8K in help, and life goes on!

Well after 2 months, my bank "snatched back" the $500 loan from my account. They decided they were not able to recover the disputed amount. Goodbye $500!

Hard Lesson Learned.

The bright side is that I redoubled my efforts to find some other household financial assistance. I was able to get close to $8K in help, and life goes on!

And there is the problem people don't realize. It's not an easy process to get your money back. Let's say you are dealing with venmo and your bank. It comes down to someone is going to take it up the ass do you really think the bank or venmo is going to take it? It's highly unlikely. They are going to find any opportunity to make you pay.

ALWAYS use a credit card for these types of transactions, NEVER your bank account.

Even with a credit card you won’t get your money back for a Zelle or Venmo transaction. That’s why those payment platforms should only be used with people you know personally or in-person transactions.

Even with a credit card you won’t get your money back for a Zelle or Venmo transaction. That’s why those payment platforms should only be used with people you know personally or in-person transactions.

That may very well be so - I know next to nothing about either of those. Smartphone-only aren't they?

The biggest indicator of fraud (aside from asking for Zelle or Venmo) is when a member who hasn't been active for a long period of time all of a sudden becomes active again with the sole intention of placing a for sale ad.

I bought a $1500.00 tool on Facebook, took me over a month to get, and I was Leary about using Zelle, but the guy had a business and I called the business phone and he answered so I got lucky. It cost me 200 to ship 70 lbs, so overall I consider it a win! I can now swage aircraft cables and I am into the tool for less than 1/3 of retail!

2350D46B-0F1E-468C-A1D7-812EE68D78AA.jpeg

Reactions: JMT
I bought a $1500.00 tool on Facebook, took me over a month to get, and I was Leary about using Zelle, but the guy had a business and I called the business phone and he answered so I got lucky. It cost me 200 to ship 70 lbs, so overall I consider it a win! I can now swage aircraft cables and I am into the tool for less than 1/3 of retail!

View attachment 382252

I personally don't buy anything that ships through FB. I am so leary of those ads I scan straight by them. I'm glad you got your tool. Smart to call ahead. You gained confidence and it worked for you. Kudos on success. I'll steer clear.

This just happened again with @techster82.

What is happening here is that members who haven't been on the forum in a long period of time are getting their accounts hijacked. This is likely due in part to the fact that most people couldn't choose a strong password if their life depended on it.

The biggest telltale sign that you're being scammed is if the seller requests Zelle or Venmo. DO NOT ever send someone money via Zelle or Venmo (or CashApp) unless you know them personally and you know for certain you can trust them. Zelle and Venmo do not offer purchase protection like PayPal.

The last one was pretty obvious since @Apparition discovered the winch he was selling was a copy and paste from Expedition Portal.

Just be sure to use your brain folks. If it sounds too good to be true, it likely isn't.

I think you want to edit your last word in this post. I mean, we all know what you mean, but it should say "is" not "isn't." 🤣

Reactions: Zorba
I think you want to edit your last word in this post. I mean, we all know what you mean, but it should say "is" not "isn't." 🤣

If it sounds too good to be true it likely isn’t true?

Or is it sounds too good to be true it likely is not (isn’t)?

Both make sense in my mind. I’m sure I’m wrong though.

• Haha
I personally don't buy anything that ships through FB. I am so leary of those ads I scan straight by them. I'm glad you got your tool. Smart to call ahead. You gained confidence and it worked for you. Kudos on success. I'll steer clear.

well eBay has 2 available now for 3-5k, I needed a win, now to find a tester… they retail for 9-12k

• Wow
Laugh it up @Apparition! I'm a grammar NAZI. Actually, I have to read so many college theses that I am doing it all the time. I also homeschool my kids. I mean, my goodness, I was doing preposition charts with my 11 year old today. Here's a bunny, here's a hole, think about the bunny in relation to the hole. He can go IN the hole, BEHIND the hole, ON TOP OF the hole, THROUGH the hole, AROUND the hole, NEAR the hole, BESIDE the hole. Blah blah blah blah. It gets rather old, but at the same time, I really care about grammar. I'm sure it drives people crazy. Probably driving you crazy right now.

p.s. my greatest weakness in grammar is unless vs incase. The irony is I was terrible in English and now my life is mostly spent in English and two or three other languages. Oh well, math I love, but I never saw the whole picture, so I don't consider myself good at it. I probably needed a few more years to see it from outside of the box. As it was and is, I am still inside the box just computing. I have no clue what I am doing.

Laugh it up @Apparition! I'm a grammar NAZI. Actually, I have to read so many college theses that I am doing it all the time. I also homeschool my kids. I mean, my goodness, I was doing preposition charts with my 11 year old today. Here's a bunny, here's a hole, think about the bunny in relation to the hole. He can go IN the hole, BEHIND the hole, ON TOP OF the hole, THROUGH the hole, AROUND the hole, NEAR the hole, BESIDE the hole. Blah blah blah blah. It gets rather old, but at the same time, I really care about grammar. I'm sure it drives people crazy. Probably driving you crazy right now.

p.s. my greatest weakness in grammar is unless vs incase. The irony is I was terrible in English and now my life is mostly spent in English and two or three other languages. Oh well, math I love, but I never saw the whole picture, so I don't consider myself good at it. I probably needed a few more years to see it from outside of the box. As it was and is, I am still inside the box just computing. I have no clue what I am doing.

I tested out of college English classes so I can't read.