Free, cheap, & low cost mods for your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Thanks to @Eddie Greenlee for this thread suggestion and for the initial items to add to this list.

What I'd like to do here is create a master thread of all the free, cheap, and low cost mods you've come up with for your Jeep Wrangler TJ. If you have something, respond to this thread, and I'll update the original post with your suggestions. I think this will be helpful to those of us on a budget, and also useful for those of us who just want something to do in our spare time.

Here's the list so far:
  1. Extended front brake lines (from a 1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ): $20
  2. LED replacement bulb for back up lights: $21.00
  3. Extended rear brake lines: $30.00
  4. Flip the visors from drivers and passenger sides so you don't have to stare at the warning labels when they are up. Just slide them off and back on again on the opposite side: FREE
  5. Flip your rear view mirror upside down to raise it up and give you a better view over the spare tire: FREE
  6. Daystar dash tray: $20
  7. Alien Sunshade: $75
  8. Removing those metal plugs out of the drain channels so your TJ can actually drain water in ALL footwells. Replace them with the JK floor plugs and you have useful plugs now! $1 each
  9. Hardtop quick release screws: $9
  10. Removing bumper end caps (milk jugs): FREE
  11. In cab winch controls: $10-20
  12. Upgrading underhood light: $23
  13. Bypass switch for the 4 Low locker restriction: $20 (Rubicon models only)
  14. GraBars grab handles: $86 (get these ones, not the cheap, Chinese junk ones)
  15. Trailer spring bumper shackles: $10
  16. Dome light toggle switch: $35

Based on another thread - Adding an extra throttle return spring for later model 4.0 motors for better throttle response. Chris do you want pictures along the way for this, like a visual guide to Cheap Mods?

Please! That would be awesome.

Heck, you could make that a thread of it's own, and I could just link to it from the original post here. That would be ideal!

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
I find this to be very handy, and only 20 bucks. Daystar dash box.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O0FY6A/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Why do they have to represent the size of this dash tray by showing how it would cover your junk?
dc1d0c66cfbd31098c3dd8854c1f21ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Would a Spiderweb shade/Alien shade be considered a low cost mod?

Which do you have and how do you like it? I’ve been thinking about a Trektop NX frameless and one of the suggestions was to get a spider shade or TJ-kini for storing the windows overhead when running safari style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which do you have and how do you like it? I’ve been thinking about a Trektop NX frameless and one of the suggestions was to get a spider shade or TJ-kini for storing the windows overhead when running safari style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the best low cost mods I've done to date. I have the TJ kini on 24/7, and some Spider sides to contain the dogs when they travel with me.
20170928_130034.jpg

Flip the visors from drivers and passenger sides so you don't have to stare at the warning labels when they are up. Just slide them off and back on again on the opposite side.
Mine have the warning signs on both sides..:(.(we are a lil bit slow down here) lol

In cab winch controls.
Requires a dtsp (double throw singe pole) momentary switch and a toggle switch.

Run power from a fused source to the toggle switch (for saftey) the from the toggle to the dtsp switch center pin. Run a wire from each side pin of the switch to the solinoid pack on your winch, open it up and look where the wires from the plug on the cover go. One will be +12v the other 2 will be the forward and reverse. Put the wires on the forward and reverse connections and reseal the solinoid pack. Now figure out what direction is what on your switch and mount it.
Cost should be under $10-$20 depending if you have wire on hand or not.

FYI extremely light gauge wire is fine for this the load is quite low.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.