Free, cheap, & low cost mods for your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Pull out the carpets and wash them. After a long winter, or just some off roading, they can get pretty dirty. This also gives you the opportunity to see the condition of the floor panels.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
if you have tubular doors and they rattle a lot take apiece of faucet supply line tubing in plastic about 3/8"long ,split it lengthwise and stick it over the body mounted latch part and the doors shut tight

Reactions: Chris
D43DA85E-44B3-4CF1-A346-7F820C3D45F6.jpeg
65224334-0FB7-411A-A97F-2E332FEAE47D.jpeg
Trailer spring shackles make great tow bar mounts. I moved bumperettes outboard. If bolting to oem bumper, fab a back reinforment out of 1/4” steel & use grade 8 bolts. I’ve also welded them on to my CJ 5 bumper. Cost under $10.00.

Perfect way to describe it! Spring kit I bought had a few different weight springs so I was able to experiment some till I could find what I liked.

I don’t yet know how to make a new post without replying, so ill add today’s low cost mod here? My 2001 has a black interior, so driving around at night with doors closed and the dome light off it is a black hole inside. And I don’t think there’s a way to force the dome light on with the doors closed. So I velcro-ed a $1 tap light up on the sound bar. I added rechargeables so minimal recurring costs. Illuminates the passenger seat and back seat well. I expect some smart a$$ to say, well take your doors off and the light will stay on ; )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If you rotate your headlight switch to the right until it clicks, the dome light doesn’t come on?

Or if you don’t have the pull out type switch, there should be a scroll wheel for the dash light brightness. Roll it up until it clicks.

You should also be able to do the opposite to disable the interior lights completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TJ Starting
Yes, I highly recommend the Spiderweb Shade. Great product.
I don't know if you can get them down there but up here most guys go with dirty dog shades. Seems to be higher quality when I've seen em side by side, I'm totally happy with mine, it was the first thing I did to my LJ 5 years ago. Made in Canada to.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Speaking of sunshades, I found this post by hrun over on one of the other forums. I sent them an email and see what they say about making one

"
If your looking for a bargain checkout Shady Plains, LLC
Shady Plains | Pet and Greenhouse Custom Shade Cloth for Residential and Commercial Shading
(920)568-8229

They make custom green house/agriculture mesh covers. I had one made last April to the following dimensions and used "spider balls" from Quadratec to attach to my 2001 TJ. I leave it attached year round, fits under the factory soft top.

• 60% BLACK - 42" X 54" WITH BLACK EDGING AND ONE BRASS GROMMET PER CORNER THEN EVERY 9" ALONG BOTH 54" SIDES AND ONE GROMMET CENTERED ON EACH 42" SIDE.

Only paid $27.75 including shipping.​

I installed this switch on the far right to allow me to turn off the dome lights if I’ve got the doors open while setting up camp etc.
E19C4D02-46ED-471F-A773-7AE5B78B22D7.jpeg

I purchased the switch from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HEMUXKO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I used the appropriate one of these adaptors to replace the dome light fuse and spliced an in-line fuse holder into the feed side of the switch harness as per the switch directions
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TCXOTW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I’ve had this set up for almost three years and have found it quite handy

Sorry no fuse panel pics. It’s actually RAINING! outside right now !

Edit: Thanks to whom ever ( Chris?) that cleaned up this post with the Amazon links. I wasn’t having much success do that last night.

Last edited:
I installed this switch on the far right to allow me to turn off the dome lights if I’ve got the doors open while setting up camp etc.
View attachment 33324

I purchased the switch from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HEMUXKO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I used the appropriate one of these adaptors to replace the dome light fuse and spliced an in-line fuse holder into the feed side of the switch harness as per the switch directions
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TCXOTW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I’ve had this set up for almost three years and have found it quite handy

Sorry no fuse panel pics. It’s actually RAINING! outside right now !

Edit: Thanks to whom ever ( Chris?) that cleaned up this post with the Amazon links. I wasn’t having much success do that last night.
This looks beneficial to have...! Did you just use a quick connect to the fuse socket connector and run that to the switch?

If you have something, respond to this thread, and I'll update the original post with your suggestions.

I cut, painted and bedlinered a piece of expanded metal from Home Depot and bolted it behind my grill to protect my new radiator. The total cost was ~25 USD including paint. I'll post a detailed write up somewhere once I finish the rest of the project, but it is pretty self explanatory. I plan on spraying the front with bedliner so I did not care about the appearance of the hex bolts, but you could use Carriage bolts to make it look good without painting. Since I already had the radiator off, it only took about 15 minutes (excluding paint drying time).

photo_2018-05-18_11-55-13.jpg

photo_2018-05-18_11-55-28.jpg

photo_2018-05-18_11-56-04.jpg

photo_2018-05-18_11-56-08.jpg

Last edited:
As an alternative to the Daystar tray listed in first post, I got the Rugged Ridge one which is a bit more expensive, $35 rather than $20, but comes with added benefit of a phone mount (which i flipped to be out of window view) and the ability to add a tripod mount for gopro

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B6K4V70/?tag=wranglerorg-20

( edit there is this one also which comes with the actual expandable phone holder head, I have a separate magnet one i use, so did not need it https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B6JR9LQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20 )

img_0095-jpg.jpg

Last edited: