Free, cheap, & low cost mods for your Jeep Wrangler TJ

billiebob

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
My favorite thus far is bypassing the relay circuit that makes our OE fog lights turn off when the headlights are switched to "bright". The bright lights are great, but sometimes I'd like to light up the shoulders of the road at the same time.

Using all 5 pins of a 5-pin relay allows electrical components to do the opposite of another. (ie., Fog lights turning off when bright lights are turned on.)

I picked up a spare relay from AutoZone to do this, and kept my OE relay. The fog lamp relay to replace is located in #35 of the power distribution box under the hood.

Pin #1 can either be bent over, or cut to prevent the relay from activating/turning off the fog lights. I have to give credit where credit is due. I'm a nerd when it comes to electronics, but this mod had never crossed my mind. Stu Olson, at StuOffroad.com is great guy. He's shared some very helpful and cool mods on his site.

View attachment 131942

View attachment 131943
This is fabulous !!

I run my a-pillar and roof top light bar off the fog circuit, I have no "fog" lights.

GaTechTJ

My favorite thus far is bypassing the relay circuit that makes our OE fog lights turn off when the headlights are switched to "bright". The bright lights are great, but sometimes I'd like to light up the shoulders of the road at the same time.

Using all 5 pins of a 5-pin relay allows electrical components to do the opposite of another. (ie., Fog lights turning off when bright lights are turned on.)

I picked up a spare relay from AutoZone to do this, and kept my OE relay. The fog lamp relay to replace is located in #35 of the power distribution box under the hood.

Pin #1 can either be bent over, or cut to prevent the relay from activating/turning off the fog lights. I have to give credit where credit is due. I'm a nerd when it comes to electronics, but this mod had never crossed my mind. Stu Olson, at StuOffroad.com is great guy. He's shared some very helpful and cool mods on his site.

View attachment 131942

View attachment 131943

View attachment 132063
Awesome idea. Going to find a relay now. The 😁

RMETeeJay

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
One side of my hood had a little bit of play when latched. I was about to buy 2 new new hood cushions (the small, rubber bumpers that support the hood just in front of the latches), but decided to take a look first.

I noticed that the hood's weight over the years had made a depression on the old cushions, but there was still a higher area on the other side of the cushion where the hood doesn't sit.

I pried them out, rotated them 180 degrees and popped them back in (I needed a little bit of dish soap to slip them back in). No more play.

Mrprez

Jeep Noob
Supporting Member
One side of my hood had a little bit of play when latched. I was about to buy 2 new new hood cushions (the small, rubber bumpers that support the hood just in front of the latches), but decided to take a look first.

I noticed that the hood's weight over the years had made a depression on the old cushions, but there was still a higher area on the other side of the cushion where the hood doesn't sit.

I pried them out, rotated them 180 degrees and popped them back in (I needed a little bit of dish soap to slip them back in). No more play.
I have one on the drivers side and none on the passenger side. There are no holes drilled for the bumper cushion. That fender is peeling clear coat. I’m wondering now if that is a replacement fender?

bedhed

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Lost interest in sending 12v to the hard top. Thought to myself, "What the hell are you doing?" Decided kept it simple. The picture of the lit up mess is with the light rotated upward. When I saw this one can be unclipped from it's base was an added bonus. Dome light/Flashlight.

PicsArt_10-25-10.41.47.jpg

robertgreen79

Lost interest in sending 12v to the hard top. Thought to myself, "What the hell are you doing?" Decided kept it simple. The picture of the lit up mess is with the light rotated upward. When I saw this one can be unclipped from it's base was an added bonus. Dome light/Flashlight.

View attachment 134639
Where did you find this? A preliminary search hasnt shown anything

*Edit Found it: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/stanley-250-lumen-headlight-65436-1332533?cm_mmc=feed-_-GoogleShopping-_-Product-_-1332533&gclid=Cj0KCQiAjfvwBRCkARIsAIqSWlMk0fLQZgeUP82CVwITz6m0COaeWjqMMTaDQO52DY-SzoMqSyl_PMsaAlPAEALw_wcB

bedhed

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member

MountaineerTom

LJ Enthusiast, Retired USAF Weapons Loader
Supporting Member
That's a great little light. I seen someone on this site that used one as a dome light and loved the idea. I got a couple from Tractor Supply too and used some Velcro self wrap around the roll bar to attach it. It works great to be able to rotate it to the front seats or back to the cargo area.

bedhed

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
That's a great little light. I seen someone on this site that used one as a dome light and loved the idea. I got a couple from Tractor Supply too and used some Velcro self wrap around the roll bar to attach it. It works great to be able to rotate it to the front seats or back to the cargo area.
Might have been from me. Few weeks back, wasn't it? Sent it to someone asking about a simple dome light solution. But yeah, I really like it. I'm liking it even more for the ~$14 price tag they have on it haha. I did end up buying another and making it magnetic to use around the Jeep. I took that one way too far. Too much overthinking and it doesn't grip as well as it would have if I would have just gone and picked up a magnet from Home Depot or somewhere.

Reactions: MountaineerTom

MountaineerTom

LJ Enthusiast, Retired USAF Weapons Loader
Supporting Member
Might have been from me. Few weeks back, wasn't it? Sent it to someone asking about a simple dome light solution. But yeah, I really like it. I'm liking it even more for the ~$14 price tag they have on it haha. I did end up buying another and making it magnetic to use around the Jeep. I took that one way too far. Too much overthinking and it doesn't grip as well as it would have if I would have just gone and picked up a magnet from Home Depot or somewhere.
I think it may have been you. 👍

Reactions: bedhed

bedhed

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Throttle return spring. Springs came in a pack from Autozone, Dorman throttle springs, enough for my Jeep and a few friends:
View attachment 32910

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Funny story. I finally got by the parts store to pick up a pack and try this. It turns out that (according to the guy hovering over me), for me to "fix" this, I need to re gear the Jeep and "build it". Not sure what I am supposed to be building, but that was irrelevant.

• Haha
Reactions: JeepZilla380

JeepZilla380

TJ Addict
Ride of the Month Winner
Funny story. I finally got by the parts store to pick up a pack and try this. It turns out that (according to the guy hovering over me), for me to "fix" this, I need to re gear the Jeep and "build it". Not sure what I am supposed to be building, but that was irrelevant.
Wow, have to regear and “build it” to drill a simple whole in the bracket and mount a spring? LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: bedhed