Free, cheap, & low cost mods for your Jeep Wrangler TJ

I realize your post was about a month and a half ago, but figured I'd ask if you have tried any type of after market programmer to access your fog light on/off feature... In this wonderful age of computerized everything even fog lights are controlled by the ECM. Some times even just the "monitors" (not actual engine tuners) can access accessory control. I use my Bully Dog to set head light time delay, daytime running lights on or off, fog lights on with high beam, seat belt minder, accessory time delay..etc..
I will have to look into that. Thank you.

Reactions: reddvltj
I will have to look into that. Thank you.
You can find them used considerably cheaper then new if, but if you go that route you need to make sure that the are not still locked to the vehicle they were installed on. When you install them they are coded to your specific V.I.N. and to use them on a different vehicle they have to be completely "Uninstalled".

Are your front seats rattling and making a ton of noise?
Don't feel like dishing out 20 bucks for a set of seat support bushings?
Well here's the quick and dirty:
Supplies: Electrical tape, knife.

IMG_0656.jpg

Tightly wind tape around shaft, the outer diameter (at least on my '98) is .85" or 22mm.

IMG_0657.jpg

Trim flush w/ the head of the shaft w/ knife:

IMG_0658.jpg

...And you're done.

IMG_0659.jpg

Edit: I cleaned the boogers up w/ a mini torch. Lighter would prb work too.
Cost: Negligible if you already have tape. :cool:

Last edited:
Are your front seats rattling and making a ton of noise?
Don't feel like dishing out 20 bucks for a set of seat support bushings?
Well here's the quick and dirty:
Supplies: Electrical tape, knife.

View attachment 143150

Tightly wind tape around shaft, the outer diameter (at least on my '98) is .85" or 22mm.

View attachment 143151

Trim flush w/ the head of the shaft w/ knife:

View attachment 143149

...And you're done.

View attachment 143152

Cost: Negligible if you already have tape. :cool:
Funny that you've just posted this. Mine broke loose last month. No idea why they cracked in halves like they did, but they did.

Dry rot.
If I come up w/ a more permanent, cheap solution, I'll post here. Who knows, the ET may last another 20 years.
The easiest of the things that just came to mind was looking to see if there is a nylon washer/spacer that would fit the right specs. Now knowing how pricey the replacement would be, I'll look into this too. Maybe we can come up with something quick and easy.

The easiest of the things that just came to mind was looking to see if there is a nylon washer/spacer that would fit the right specs. Now knowing how pricey the replacement would be, I'll look into this too. Maybe we can come up with something quick and easy.
If you get a smaller grommet and split it in half, then a larger one that will clear the head of the stud and fit over the smaller one. at least that's how those kits are. The stud shaft dia is 1/4" I believe.
I am actually on my way to Lowes to get some plumbing stuff, I'll have a look while I'm there.
BTW the head of the stud is .48", so let's call it a half an inch.

Reactions: bedhed
No "D" rings, no problem.
So I had to run to Lowes the other day for some lumber, decided to take the TJ. As I started loading up I realized there aren't any "D" rings in the cargo area to put hooks into.
Never even crossed my mind before.
IMG_0660.jpg

Super quick and portable fix: Tie an overhand knot in a piece of nylon webbing and slide it in.
Pull it out when you don't need it. No drilling necessary.

IMG_0661.jpg

No "D" rings, no problem.
So I had to run to Lowes the other day for some lumber, decided to take the TJ. As I started loading up I realized there aren't any "D" rings in the cargo area to put hooks into.
Never even crossed my mind before.
View attachment 143161

Super quick and portable fix: Tie an overhand knot in a piece of nylon webbing and slide it in.
Pull it out when you don't need it. No drilling necessary.

View attachment 143162
I always have some of the below tie down straps, could run these if you don’t already have some nylon webbing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M9EBN3U/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: bedhed
If you get a smaller grommet and split it in half, then a larger one that will clear the head of the stud and fit over the smaller one. at least that's how those kits are. The stud shaft dia is 1/4" I believe.
I am actually on my way to Lowes to get some plumbing stuff, I'll have a look while I'm there.
BTW the head of the stud is .48", so let's call it a half an inch.
Good idea. I'd completely forgotten about the flanged head on the pin. Did you find anything worth trying from Lowe's?

I noticed my door limit straps were showing some signs of wear from rubbing of the metal door opening. I cut some door edge guard that I had laying around and covered the exposed metal.

IMG_9767.JPG
IMG_9768.JPG

If you have stock front, rear or both bumpers and they went from black to gray, there is an easy way to make them black again without having to use black restorer polish that only lasts for a month or two. Simply use Acetone. You have to be quick and soak the rag as you are technically melting the plastic coating. A couple of quick brushes with the rag and they are factory black again. Obviously you might want to try it on a small area at first. Cost of a can of acetone is about $5 from Walmart or Home Depot. You won't even use a quarter of it.

Reactions: reddvltj
My shift light indicator for my automatic transmission was broken and did not display what gear you were in. A shift indicator is $350 for a new one (no way I'm paying that).

A $3.99 garage sale sign, an exacto knife, a little epoxy, and some time resulted in a new and functional indicator. The orange piece is cut out of the sign in the shape of a capital T. I epoxied the new homemade selector to the smallest piece of the shifter accordion. A hole was made for the new orange indicator to slide over and down the shifter (about 17mm). The accordion looking thing around the shifter handle is factory and slides out of the indicator bracket.

The new indicator is wider and covers the letter/number of the gear you are in too (not just the little hash), which I like better than the stock setup. Thank you for the assist @BuildBreakRepeat

And, I attached illuminated photos for comparison (stock view is dark slate and mod is khaki interior). You can see where the broken factory red tab scratched the indicator windows.

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite free mod so far has been swapping the driver and passenger door handles so they are more comfortable and natural feeling to open. Much better using your hand to pull them open as opposed to using your thumb to push them open.

View attachment 178365
Wait. What? You can do that? I have always thought they were backwards.