Free, cheap, & low cost mods for your Jeep Wrangler TJ

What I use

image.jpg

Reactions: reddvltj
Looking for the best (cheap) bed liner type paint to go over my Warn front bumper and tube light mount attachment. Thoughts/suggestions? Was just gonna go with the rustoleum but figured I’d post here first to see if you all had better results elsewhere.
I use the Rustoleum Textured paint for touching up my bumpers. It’s a fine texture instead of a rough/bumpy texture, if that matters to you. It dries hard and doesn‘t hold dirt like some of the rougher feeling textured paint and bed liner products I’ve used in the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and Watcher412
Looking for the best (cheap) bed liner type paint to go over my Warn front bumper and tube light mount attachment. Thoughts/suggestions? Was just gonna go with the rustoleum but figured I’d post here first to see if you all had better results elsewhere.
I’ve used that for various small parts and, as long as you prep right, it seems to work well.

Reactions: Watcher412
i dont want to start any argument on who's right and wrong, but bigwheels88's link looked like they cut off the valve, if im not mistaken, thats roll over valve, i wouldnt cut that. i simply cut the smaller diameter hose and got me 4 extra. but its your call ^__^ i left that bigger diameter hose alone.

Same here.

Thanks to @Eddie Greenlee for this thread suggestion and for the initial items to add to this list.

What I'd like to do here is create a master thread of all the free, cheap, and low cost mods you've come up with for your Jeep Wrangler TJ. If you have something, respond to this thread, and I'll update the original post with your suggestions. I think this will be helpful to those of us on a budget, and also useful for those of us who just want something to do in our spare time.

Here's the list so far:
  1. Extended front brake lines (from a 1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ): $20
  2. LED replacement bulb for back up lights: $21.00
  3. Extended rear brake lines: $30.00
  4. Flip the visors from drivers and passenger sides so you don't have to stare at the warning labels when they are up. Just slide them off and back on again on the opposite side: FREE
  5. Flip your rear view mirror upside down to raise it up and give you a better view over the spare tire: FREE
  6. Daystar dash tray: $20
  7. Alien Sunshade: $75
  8. Removing those metal plugs out of the drain channels so your TJ can actually drain water in ALL footwells. Replace them with the JK floor plugs and you have useful plugs now! $1 each
  9. Hardtop quick release screws: $9
  10. Removing bumper end caps (milk jugs): FREE
  11. In cab winch controls: $10-20
  12. Upgrading underhood light: $23
  13. Bypass switch for the 4 Low locker restriction: $20 (Rubicon models only)
  14. GraBars grab handles: $86 (get these ones, not the cheap, Chinese junk ones)
  15. Trailer spring bumper shackles: $10
  16. Dome light toggle switch: $35

Great idea for a thread.

#2: Do you have a link to those LED bulbs? I don't trust myself to find LED bulbs that aren't cheap, but I know you've done your homework on those.

#8: Do you have a pic of this? I didn't realize that I had more drain plugs than the ones with rubber plugs/grommets in them. There are metals ones that I can remove?

Hand Throttle. $40. Absolutely worth every penny for a manual or auto if you play off-road.

What does a hand throttle actually do for you?
Especially in rough terrain when trying to feather the throttle over obstacles, maintaining an even depression of throttle pedal can be a bit of a challenge as your body bounces around even if you have a 4 point harness. The hand throttle can be set at the desired throttle position so it eliminates the "jerkiness" a bouncing foot creates.

Reactions: JMT
Especially in rough terrain when trying to feather the throttle over obstacles, maintaining an even depression of throttle pedal can be a bit of a challenge as your body bounces around even if you have a 4 point harness. The hand throttle can be set at the desired throttle position so it eliminates the "jerkiness" a bouncing foot creates.
My throttle control sucks when bouncing around. LOL

With the thumb throttle, do you completely control the throttle with it, or is it used as some type of limiter or something?

Reactions: Ole Rusty
My throttle control sucks when bouncing around. LOL

With the thumb throttle, do you completely control the throttle with it, or is it used as some type of limiter or something?
It's similar in nature to a gear shifter on a multi-speed bicycle. They have resistance to keep the throttle from springing back and IIRC you can lock them in the position you set them to. I suppose you could use it like the normal throttle pedal (with no resistance) but that kind of defeats the purpose.

What does a hand throttle actually do for you?
Control, sooo much control, no lurching as you try to work the clutch and the gas over rough terrain. If you have a manual and you’re stopped on a hill, no big deal, set the rpm’s, let out on the clutch and you go forward with no rolling back. I could not believe I waited so long to install one.

Thanks to @Eddie Greenlee for this thread suggestion and for the initial items to add to this list.

What I'd like to do here is create a master thread of all the free, cheap, and low cost mods you've come up with for your Jeep Wrangler TJ. If you have something, respond to this thread, and I'll update the original post with your suggestions. I think this will be helpful to those of us on a budget, and also useful for those of us who just want something to do in our spare time.

Here's the list so far:
  1. Extended front brake lines (from a 1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ): $20
  2. LED replacement bulb for back up lights: $21.00
  3. Extended rear brake lines: $30.00
  4. Flip the visors from drivers and passenger sides so you don't have to stare at the warning labels when they are up. Just slide them off and back on again on the opposite side: FREE
  5. Flip your rear view mirror upside down to raise it up and give you a better view over the spare tire: FREE
  6. Daystar dash tray: $20
  7. Alien Sunshade: $75
  8. Removing those metal plugs out of the drain channels so your TJ can actually drain water in ALL footwells. Replace them with the JK floor plugs and you have useful plugs now! $1 each
  9. Hardtop quick release screws: $9
  10. Removing bumper end caps (milk jugs): FREE
  11. In cab winch controls: $10-20
  12. Upgrading underhood light: $23
  13. Bypass switch for the 4 Low locker restriction: $20 (Rubicon models only)
  14. GraBars grab handles: $86 (get these ones, not the cheap, Chinese junk ones)
  15. Trailer spring bumper shackles: $10
  16. Dome light toggle switch: $35

I like this thread! I see a few others on the forum, and maybe the ideas on those could be added to this list.

I don't know if you're still updating this thread, but I recently drilled the threads out of the inside of the bolts that go on the bottom of the door hinge pins. Then glued the bolts into place, so now my doors slide in any out without the need of removing the bolts. And instead of just leaving the bolts off, now I don't have the door pin threads sticking out below.

One side of my hood had a little bit of play when latched. I was about to buy 2 new new hood cushions (the small, rubber bumpers that support the hood just in front of the latches), but decided to take a look first.

I noticed that the hood's weight over the years had made a depression on the old cushions, but there was still a higher area on the other side of the cushion where the hood doesn't sit.

I pried them out, rotated them 180 degrees and popped them back in (I needed a little bit of dish soap to slip them back in). No more play.
When you need to insert something like these rubber bumper nipple, where you want a temporary lubricant, try aerosol hair spray. Super slippery when you first spray it on, but super sticky like glue once it dries.