Free navigational resources

xxdabroxx

TJ Addict
For a while now I have been using Backcountry Navigator on my android based phone for offroad navigation. I bought the paid version, but there is a free version available. I like using it because you can both store tracks and offline maps/ aerial imagery when you are off the beaten path. I like using airplane mode while I'm in the middle of nowhere as it keeps your phone from looking for cell towers and saves battery. I mount the phone to a RAM mount stuck to my windshield.

I've recently been using google earth to do a little scouting while at the house. I've found some USGS topo maps that you can add into google earth. They are pretty handy as you can turn them off and see the imagery, then swap back to the topo as needed. In my area a lot of the dirt roads turn out to be on private property and it may be similar in your area but I figured I'd share some links in case anyone else finds it of use.

Link to google earth download

Link to topo maps plugin for google earth

I've also found that you can add in USGS mine data to google earth as well in case anyone else is interested in finding old mining sites. Go to your state, then click on the county you want data for. Then go to the pull down under download and select google earth.

Link to mine plugin for google earth

Does anyone else have any resources like this? I'm always looking for new ways to find places to wheel.

Reactions: Jorge Bolivar
@xxdabroxx
Thanks for the links. I will be playing with this for sure as I do always look for places close to home to wheel too. I was using the backcountry navigator until work force me to swap to I phone, (yes they pay for) then no even try to look for.
The other day I do start a thread seeking where to wheel app users and/or reviews, no want to pay for what you can find for free.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/where-2-wheel-anyone.4634/
Seem like is not many users of that app around here what may be confirming my thinking that whatever info I will be paying to see is for free somewhere.
Again, Thanks for the links.

Reactions: derekmac
@xxdabroxx
Thanks for the links. I will be playing with this for sure as I do always look for places close to home to wheel too. I was using the backcountry navigator until work force me to swap to I phone, (yes they pay for) then no even try to look for.
The other day I do start a thread seeking where to wheel app users and/or reviews, no want to pay for what you can find for free.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/where-2-wheel-anyone.4634/
Seem like is not many users of that app around here what may be confirming my thinking that whatever info I will be paying to see is for free somewhere.
Again, Thanks for the links.
I found the same thing trying to put it on my dads ipad. Really sucks that it's not available on apple. I've come to be really fond of it.

@bobthetj03 Definitely check it out. Google earth is free, and I believe the pro version is too. I downloaded the pro version a while back at work and have been using it ever since, I use it a lot for drawing up site plans. The topo overlay is a little funky, you have to zoom slow but it's really handy once you get the hang of it. Once you get near your location drop a pin and label it so that you can get back to it easily the next time. I've found I have to double click on the topo option on the left hand side which zooms you out to the world view. Then I double click on the location I saved to get me back to where I want to be quickly. (It sounds more complicated than it is, just play with it a bit and you will figure it out)