Freeze plug nightmare

kingcur

So, my freeze plug has been weeping and dripping onto the exhaust. Not confident to pull apart the manifold myself so I booked a mechanic for the job. But now Im wishing I took the risk doing it myself.
A 3 hr job has taken 3 days so far, the replacement plug is weeping still and now apparently my radiator just cracked and im freaking out that he has left it idling and its overheated. What damage has been done.
So stressed and upset about it all :(

Wow... This sounds like a crappy mechanic, am I wrong?

Does this guy warranty his work?

I do all my own work. I just can't trust anyone with my vehicles. The dealer even messed up the oil change on my then new 2015 rubicon-7000 miles on it, must've pried the o ring seal onto the oil filter cap, bc it was cut upon removal,, and it pumped out 2 qts or so over the top of engine, down the Trans and onto the exhaust. Too many ppl working on vehicles that just are not properly trained/care enough about someone else's property.

Reactions: Art
But on yours, doubt he over heated it. I could idle mine all day without over heating. Radiators go bad all the time, probably coincidence. Although, is your coolant up to par? Possibly it froze and caused the freeze plug issue as well as weakened the radiator?

Its summer here, no chance of it freezing. I also mix coolant 50/50. Freeze plug was rusted out so put brass ones in and the radiator crack is actually a large split in the top plastic apparently. Mech reckons there is some issue causing too much pressure in the cooling system. He's chasing a new radiator without charge and I reckon ill take it home once thats put in. Might not be him at fault but I cant handle the stress of trusting my Jeep to be in someone elses hands. I will never afford another

I know the feeling, which is why I do about 95% of work on my Jeep myself.

Hopefully this guy figures out what the issue is!

Cracked radiators are fairly common with our TJ's. Mine cracked on me half way to Moab at a gas station in Nevada. Had to JB weld it to get to Moab where I purchased a new radiator. they are inexpensive @ around $115 US.

20160507_214248.jpg
20160507_215743.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Thats pretty much exactly how mine has cracked.
Mechanic has agreed to replace it, not sure how much its costing him. Im going to get a new water pump and thermostat while waiting for the radiator to turn up. Might as well do everything since ive gone through a few bottles of coolant already.
Then ill still have the problem of the leaking welch/freeze plug. Is it at all possible that too much pressure in the system has caused the leaking plug and split radiator?

Reactions: Chris
Anything is possible, but if there's too much pressure in the system, that would point to something else.

Only so much pressure will build up till your radiator cap relieves it. Most caps are 10-16 lbs. After that it'll just puke out of the overflow tank.

I had the freeze plug on the back of the cylinder head leak. It developed a pinhole, I guess because I neglected to change the coolant. I didn't feel like pulling the head, so I pulled the tranny again, since I had just done the clutch 3 months earlier. 2 months later , at 118,000 miles, the radiator died, so I replaced it, the water pump, thermostat, and hoses. If your new freeze plug is leaking, it wasn't installed properly. Sometimes, you just have to tap them in a little more.

Reactions: kingcur and Chris
From the above link 'Freeze plugs will work when put in "dry", but they might "weep" a small amount of coolant.'
They were put in dry, and the first one is weeping. If I was to put another one in I would have to buy another manifold gasket. Ugghh...
I have since bought a new thermostat and water pump for the sake of it. Since she is all pulled apart I might as well get it all replaced but im fairly sure the mechanic hates me now and wont want to do it

Yep, you might as well do it all while the Jeep is apart, I agree.

Why would the mechanic hate you? You are paying them, aren't you? I like when people pay me!