Front axle inner tube—is this a seal?

Sudo

TJ Enthusiast
Attaching a photo and its a bit tricky to take one looking down the passenger tube but hopefully someone can tell me if this is a seal thats out of position or something else? I thought seals were pressed on. I didn't see this on the driver side.

Also, inner tube looks a bit nasty on the bottom. Clean it out or this "normal". If it needs cleaned any tips/tricks?

Thanks.

20210319_102935.jpg

It is not the seal. It appears to be the axle shaft guide. It is not necessary, just helps align the axle in the seal when sliding it in. I removed mine when I had my axle apart. Just another thing to fall off inside like seen in the picture.

It is the axle shaft guide and should be removed. If you tried jamming the axle in and it wouldnt go in, there is a good chance you damaged the seal.

The axle tube looks fine.

It is the axle shaft guide and should be removed. If you tried jamming the axle in and it wouldnt go in, there is a good chance you damaged the seal.

The axle tube looks fine.
Luckily I looked before I jammed axle back in. Actually I'm still waiting for Revolution G&A front axle shafts to deliver before anything goes back in.

Take it the crud in the bottom of tube is not worrisome, Since no one has commented?

Working on balljoints atm. Front end maintenance while I'm in there.

20210319_122704.jpg

The crud is pretty normal as the axles don't have out seals. Doesn't matter as long as the inner seals are intact. You just don't want it coming inside the pumpkin, past the seals

Luckily I looked before I jammed axle back in. Actually I'm still waiting for Revolution G&A front axle shafts to deliver before anything goes back in.

Take it the crud in the bottom of tube is not worrisome, Since no one has commented?

Working on balljoints atm. Front end maintenance while I'm in there.

View attachment 235681
That’s very minimal crud in the tube IMO.

Reactions: SvtLdr
Ok, crud nuttin to sweat over. 👍 Would be nice to wipe out part of seal before shoving axle through as I imagine ill be pushing some of the crud on the inner seal through to the diff housing. Don't see any easy way to do that so I'll pass and maybe change oil instead. Might be a little sand in there is all.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Here's what mine looked like when replacing the axle u-joints recently. An old piece of hose that fit into the tubes connected to the shop vac took care of anything in there. Just be careful so as to not push anything into the diff or damage the seals.

FCE8C665-0C9E-4973-BF8A-9DAA2E8B6074_1_105_c.jpeg

EA4EEE29-F70A-4D57-B4AF-7AFB9697E7EB_1_105_c.jpeg