Front axle upgrade questions

TJScott

TJ Enthusiast
I don’t have the skill to drive my Jeep like some of you folks. Rock crawling and all. I’m happy tooling about on service roads and moderate trails. That being said though, I would like to have front lockers installed, for the day I botch it. I have ARB in the rear. I just like to know I’m at least as capable as the friend I go with many times, he has a Rubicon. When the rears were installed when I was having it re-geared the guy that did the work said that when doing the front I should change from the 27 spline to the 30 spline. It’s a Dana 30 diff. That’s what I recall, of the conversation. He said it would be stronger or something along those lines. He does a lot of gear changes so I believe he knows what he’s talking about. I’m looking for a good maker of axels. Maybe I can afford what is considered best, but in the event I can’t, what’s next in line? Need to put together the money for this. I ran out of cash when doing the rear and since I had lost a bearing back there, I was forced to do it right then.
I have an 03 Sport 4.0 with a Dana 44 in the rear, Dana 30 in the front and air setup and ready for the front ARB lockers, even wired the switch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you on 33's? If so, some 5-760 u joints and an ARB should be fine. Of course nothing wrong with running something like the Revolution alloy axles in 27 spline for extra strength.

I am running 33’s. I thought he had said I was at 27 spline and I should aim for 30. Do I have it reversed, strength wise? I think the rear has 30 spline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am running 33’s. I thought he had said I was at 27 spline and I should aim for 30. Do I have it reversed, strength wise? I think the rear has 30 spline.

No you have it right, your Dana 30 came stock with 27 spline axles and he's suggesting that you put larger 30 spline axle shafts in. For your described purposes however it doesn't sound like that would be necessary, the 30 spline upgrade for the Dana 30 is pricey and if you add an ARB up there as well will be very pricey, a lot of money to do service roads & moderate trails. If you want to save a ton of dough you can add an automatic locker up there & leave the stock shafts as-is, and the rig will be extremely capable, surpassing what your stated needs are.

Edit: yes, your TJ Dana 44 also came with 30 spline rear shafts, if it came with a Dana 35 it would have had 27 spline like the front

Reactions: MikeO
Cromoly shafts with 5-760 u joints up front. Add mini skids to the front lower control arm mounts. A front locker. Correct gearing. Black Magic Brakes. After that your axles will be up to more than most people throw at their Jeeps.

Reactions: Rob5589
Appreciate everyone’s feedback. I did fix the gearing, so that’s a plus. I figured that if I over built a bit, then when I take on something more than I’m capable of, the Jeep will be more up to the task. It’s inevitable that living in the desert I will hit sand. I got in it once. The rear lockers couldn’t get me out, I was in 2WD, it didn’t look that deep. It was only the one remaining front wheel that freed us after putting it into 4WD. Not that I do that frequently, but I overestimated what it could do and put myself in a stupid spot. My mistake. Some trails you just don’t know what you’re going to hit. My feeling is more gives me a better chance of getting out without it becoming a thing.

Reactions: JMT
Don't go with 30 spline shafts in a Dana 30 axle. Stick with the commonality of 27 splines in case you break somewhere any junkyard or stealership will have your parts to get up and running again. The weak link will be found, usually a U joint by then.... If you break an ear from a U joint going, you'll rue the day if on the trail cause nobody will have that oddball spare. Stick with COMMON parts on your upgrade or you may regret it.

If you are going to stray from the path of commonality then the adage applies:

"Go big or go home, only 1-tons need apply"

Appreciate everyone’s feedback. I did fix the gearing, so that’s a plus. I figured that if I over built a bit, then when I take on something more than I’m capable of, the Jeep will be more up to the task. It’s inevitable that living in the desert I will hit sand. I got in it once. The rear lockers couldn’t get me out, I was in 2WD, it didn’t look that deep. It was only the one remaining front wheel that freed us after putting it into 4WD. Not that I do that frequently, but I overestimated what it could do and put myself in a stupid spot. My mistake. Some trails you just don’t know what you’re going to hit. My feeling is more gives me a better chance of getting out without it becoming a thing.

You can try to justify your purchase all you want, but we know you’re just Trying to push the envelope. ;)

RangerRick does have a valid point there. Certainly something to consider.

Based on your description of how and where you wheel, I can't imagine a scenario where you'd break a Revolution chromo axle with the big joints on 33s. It'd be about as close to bulletproof as you could reasonably get.