Front axle upper control arm Johnny Joint bushing—Will it fit?

I used that kit when I bent my passenger side bracket. The driver side that the original post had just presses into the driver side after pulling the stock bushing out.

If you can weld, welding the passenger side is pretty easy. You do not cut the hole bracket off and then try and line up the replacement and weld it in place. Borrowing mrblaine's picture. You cut the top of it off (along the red line), and then that solid bar sits in the middle of the old bracket, making it self-positioning. You then run a weld bead (along the yellow line). I sold that Jeep otherwise I'd take a pic.
View attachment 137199

I do admit though, mrblaines solution is pretty slick.

Mr Blaines method is slick and way less expensive. That kit in Canada is like $250 cad. Welding a plate in the front is like $10 lol plus the JJ to press in, under $100

Reactions: Blondie70
I used that kit when I bent my passenger side bracket. The driver side that the original post had just presses into the driver side after pulling the stock bushing out.

If you can weld, welding the passenger side is pretty easy. You do not cut the hole bracket off and then try and line up the replacement and weld it in place. Borrowing mrblaine's picture. You cut the top of it off (along the red line), and then that solid bar sits in the middle of the old bracket, making it self-positioning. You then run a weld bead (along the yellow line). I sold that Jeep otherwise I'd take a pic.
View attachment 137199

I do admit though, mrblaines solution is pretty slick.
I think it has been awhile since you did one or they changed the thickness of the piece. You have to cut it at the bend and the ones we've done won't fit inside the straight U shape.

Mr Blaines method is slick and way less expensive.
I don't disagree with you, as you'll note that you literally quoted me saying "I do admit though, mrblaines solution is pretty slick." I was simply posting my experience with the kit feedback was being requested about.

I think it has been awhile since you did one or they changed the thickness of the piece. You have to cut it at the bend and the ones we've done won't fit inside the straight U shape.
That's pretty unfortunate. It has been a long time, but also, as I mentioned, mine was bent, which was why I was fixing it. So I did have to bend it back to get it to fit, but it looked like it was designed to fit in one that was not damaged like mine. If it doesn't fit within a stock U shape it's a significantly less compelling product.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll add a note to my original post for others.

Reactions: LieutenantJohnson
I don't disagree with you, as you'll note that you literally quoted me saying "I do admit though, mrblaines solution is pretty slick." I was simply posting my experience with the kit feedback was being requested about.

That's pretty unfortunate. It has been a long time, but also, as I mentioned, mine was bent, which was why I was fixing it. So I did have to bend it back to get it to fit, but it looked like it was designed to fit in one that was not damaged like mine. If it doesn't fit within a stock U shape it's a significantly less compelling product.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll add a note to my original post for others.
No, it is just fine since you cut at the bend line that forms a perfect gusset that is braced on 3 sides. It doesn't need to fit inside the U at all for any reason.

OE bracket removed, and replaced with fabricated bracket and custom fit Currie tombstone.
Currie CE-9102KB2 on Axle Front.JPGCurrie CE-9102KB2 on Axle Rear.jpg

So I have ordered Savvy control arms. I noticed there are two different JJ kits for the upper control arm bushing replacement, one is 7/16” and the other is 1/2”. If I have read right in other places, factory size is 7/16”. Does anyone know what the savvy arms use? Is there a reason I shouldn’t get the 1/2”?

So I have ordered Savvy control arms. I noticed there are two different JJ kits for the upper control arm bushing replacement, one is 7/16” and the other is 1/2”. If I have read right in other places, factory size is 7/16”. Does anyone know what the savvy arms use? Is there a reason I shouldn’t get the 1/2”?
Factory is 10mm, 7/16" is larger and the holes in the mounts typically have to be drilled out for the larger bolts. The bushings are hit and miss as to whether they can be drilled, are large enough already for 7/16's or you have to use the stock bolts. 1/2" bolts are just going to complicate the crap out of your life for no good reason.

@mrblaine beautiful work! Im in LA/Riverside area and looking for someone to work on my jeep doing some mods including this one. I've been reading information from you and Jerry Bransford since I got into jeeps about 10 years ago, would be unreal and an honor to have you make my TJ better

I don't use the big welded on part. Lacks a certain elegance that appeals to my sensibilities. Instead, I do it this way.
View attachment 137175
View attachment 137171

View attachment 137172
View attachment 137173
View attachment 137174

So noob welder question.... Those look like single 'spot' welds done over time. Is that accurate?

Concerned on any warping on the axle/bracket and that would make sense if they were single welds. I'm testing my eyes and very limited welding knowledge to date.

I'm planning on using the full Currie kit but tips on welding on the axle/brackets will be helpful and knowledge building.

So noob welder question.... Those look like single 'spot' welds done over time / allowed to cool. Is that accurate?

Concerned on any warping on the axle/bracket and that would make sense if they were single welds. I'm testing my eyes and very limited welding knowledge to date.

I'm planning on using the full Currie kit but tips on welding on the axle/brackets will be helpful and knowledge building.

I don't use the big welded on part. Lacks a certain elegance that appeals to my sensibilities. Instead, I do it this way.
View attachment 137175
View attachment 137171

View attachment 137172
View attachment 137173
View attachment 137174
@mrblaine is the welding all finished in that last photo, or do you also weld to the axle tube? I am guessing you also weld to the axle tube since it's bare - but figured I'd ask for any tips on welding to the tube if necessary. I am planning to copy this on mine in the next few weeks.