Front axle decision: Ford Dana 44 or Dana 60?

softballnrd27

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have an old school Ford f250 Dana 44 up front 9" rear and I'm wondering if it's worth throwing money at the 44 or going with a 60.
Jeep gets wheeled regularly and soon all over the country, not just here in TX. I've got about as much money in these axles as a gear/locker swap would have cost me so at the time it was worth it. I am currently on 35s going to 37s when these tires are worn out. Both axles are trussed and I know I can build up the 9" to handle a ton of abuse but is the 44 worth throwing more money at? Currently has 4.88s, Yukon Grizzly locker, Chromoly axles, and ford outers. My plan was to get Reid knuckles, convert to high/crossover steering, c-gussets, and RCVs. What say you? Will it live on 37s or am I just pushing my luck too much? Is a dana 60 a better option for me? I'm on the fence, I think it will be good but I also don't want to be replacing parts all the time, I understand everything can break but I want to limit it as much as possible.

The 1/2 ton Dana 44 can be built very very strong. Keep it. Im guessing if it still had the new process transfer case in it, the front 44 is driver side drop and its also from the late 70’s and is high pinion...Ford Dana 60s from that same time frame are rare and expensive but also high pinion. If your shopping for a Dana 60, Chevy stuff is cheaper, less rare, and more supported by the aftermarket world though. (outer parts, stubs, and what not)

To further prove my point (not important, want to share) this video of a rock bouncer getting beat...it has a Dana 44 and a rear Ford 9... I hope this helps build some confidence in your decision on your Dana 44, whatever that may be.

Rock Bouncer with a Dana 44 front axle and a Ford 9 inch rear axle

Dana 44s are rare down south Jeep builds. Even more rare when you add rock bouncers to the conversation. But this is just awesome to see. He does pop a stub or a hub, but take in the full context, anything can be broke by these guys and the terrain they “try” to tackle.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Twopoint and Daryl
In the video the “truck” has a Dana 44 and a Ford 9 in it and does just fine. Why would you waste money for something it doesn't need?

Why fix something that isnt broke?

He said he wheels it hard, and is planning on taking across the country doing so. I'd want the strongest axle I could bolt under it.

If you're happy with a Dana 44, that's fine. Dont take it so personal.

He said he wheels it hard, and is planning on taking across the country doing so.
Where did he say he wheels it hard? He said he, “wheels it regularly.“

Didnt take it personal, it’s just confusing trying to understand what you are replying too. Maybe you are mistakenly replying to the wrong thread.

I have an old school Ford f250 Dana 44 up front 9" rear and I'm wondering if it's worth throwing money at the 44 or going with a 60.
Jeep gets wheeled regularly and soon all over the country, not just here in TX. I've got about as much money in these axles as a gear/locker swap would have cost me so at the time it was worth it. I am currently on 35s going to 37s when these tires are worn out. Both axles are trussed and I know I can build up the 9" to handle a ton of abuse but is the 44 worth throwing more money at? Currently has 4.88s, Yukon Grizzly locker, Chromoly axles, and ford outers. My plan was to get Reid knuckles, convert to high/crossover steering, c-gussets, and RCVs. What say you? Will it live on 37s or am I just pushing my luck too much? Is a dana 60 a better option for me? I'm on the fence, I think it will be good but I also don't want to be replacing parts all the time, I understand everything can break but I want to limit it as much as possible.
Also you could use the money you would spend for the 60 and pour into upgrading the Dana 44 you already have.

Where did he say he wheels it hard? He said he, “wheels it regularly.“

Didnt take it personal, it’s just confusing trying to understand what you are replying too. Maybe you are mistakenly replying to the wrong thread.

Wheeling on 37s taking it all around the country is something I'd consider hard wheeling. People dont travel around the country to go down class 6 roads.

I'm replying to the correct thread.

IMG_2747.jpg

My TJ on a HP44 and HP60 with TSL SX 38x12.5x16.5 which measure out to about 37" tall. They are mounted on Hummer rims in this picture and weigh about 138lbs each. I started off running Alloy USA shafts and Spicer u-joints and it too me 2 years to break a u-joint. Now I have Bobby Longfield u-joints installed. At some point I'll upgrade to RCV shafts also. Mine has the 2 3/4" tubes and my understanding is that your F250 axle should have the 3" tubes. As you know the knuckles & ball joints are the weak area. I have found these ball joints that I am going to try out.

http://balancingrockdesign.com/BFF/index.html
If you are worried about ring gear strength then you can also try this out.

http://www.jantz4x4.com//jantz.php?p=detail&pro=jana_54
I've thought about going with a Dana 60 also but until I start breaking my axle I'll keep running it.

I'd swap in a Dana 60. The super duty 60s are inexpensive, and would rather have Spicer joints with plain old chromoly shafts than a Dana 44 with RCVs.

If you're deciding whether you need a 60 or not, you probably do. :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: derekmac and Daryl
Hey OP, i just finished building a hp44 for the front of my tj and almost copied the setup my axle builder has under his full size chevy. He runs 38x14.50-15's and says he has had no problems wheeling moab and the few hard trails around here. I have a f250 housing with the 3" .5 wall tubes, yukon shafts& super joints, arb, 4.88's, and flat top knuckles for high steer. When we talked it out i figured it would be safe as my plan is to go no larger than 37's and if i manage to break things there is still room to upgrade without losing the clearance from having a 60. Jana 54 kit and some rcv's is the backup plan in case something breaks but I'm optimistic that i can keep this combo alive for a while.

Hey OP, i just finished building a hp44 for the front of my tj and almost copied the setup my axle builder has under his full size chevy. He runs 38x14.50-15's and says he has had no problems wheeling moab and the few hard trails around here. I have a f250 housing with the 3" .5 wall tubes, yukon shafts& super joints, arb, 4.88's, and flat top knuckles for high steer. When we talked it out i figured it would be safe as my plan is to go no larger than 37's and if i manage to break things there is still room to upgrade without losing the clearance from having a 60. Jana 54 kit and some rcv's is the backup plan in case something breaks but I'm optimistic that i can keep this combo alive for a while.
How much lift? what caster and pinion angle did you use to build your axle? tim

How much lift? what caster and pinion angle did you use to build your axle? tim
I'll have to get back to you on that as i dont have the skillset to have done all the work myself, i cant weld, i had my fab guy work it all up based on previous work he had done for a 4" lift.

On a 37 you will probably be just fine with a built dana 44. Perhaps look into some trussing just in case but good ball joints your existing chromo shafts and some spare parts in the jeep, you will probably have no issues. However there's a big "it depends" involved. It depends on how you drive, it depends on the terrain you are in, and it depends on how vigilant you will be with maintenance.

Long term, you could even go with a 35 spline arb and some 35 spline inners, add a janz gear setup and you could really have a nice setup. Light weight, good ground clearance and lots of strength... But will it live... Well it depends.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Well JK's are beating on hp 44's, and a lot do not break parts, which surprises me considering they have2.75 x 1/4" wall tubes, that ford is .5" thick 3" diameter tube, so even less likely to break than a JK rubicon...Now if you could figure out how to install the rubicon gears into the older housing, that would be even easier than a Jana 54. I did a Jana 76 and put it into my 68 Hemi Charger, if I was to do it again, i just would have built a 70. Tim

I already have the HP44 in the front with a truss and I'm getting some C-gussets for it as well. Right now I am running spicer BJs, chromo axles and stock u-joints. If I keep it then I will get Reid knuckles for the high steer and upgrade the shaft/u-joint combo. I might upgrade to 5.38s later on and use the Jana 54 kit if I do that. Jantz makes a kit to put the better JK gears in a regular 44 but only the low pinion 44 got the upgraded gears in a JK. I'm so torn and the biggest reason is the 05+ Super Duty axles are so freaking wide and I like my current width at 67/66" WMS and just over 82" outside the tire. If I go the Super Duty route then 40s are in my future, not sure I want to go that big.