Front brake line question

ac_

zombicon
Supporting Member
Last night in preparation for doing my SYE, I noticed a pool of fluid on the floor next to my left front tire. In further investigation it looks like a brake hose leak. So I investigated some more and found the PO installed brand new brake pads, but never replaced/turned the rotors. One is obviously, without measuring, is too worn out. So it looks like it is time for some Black Magic Brakes, but I didn't see any black magic brake hoses on the site. What are your suggestions for TJ brake lines? Also should I get extended ones for a two inch lift?

Either YJ lines or stock brake lines.

I'm guessing that while they might not be listed on the Black Magic website, @mrblaine could likely get you a pair of replacement hoses.

Blaine will probably just tell you just to source them locally, or the online vendor of your choice.

I used a YJ hose on mine for a while as it's what I could get locally that day. Even with about 8.5" of down travel, on a 3.5" lift and a wider JK axle they just went snug at full turn (I do have a drop bracket for the hard line but that's just because the axle moves funny on that side) should be lots of length for your lift.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Never thought of that. Awesome thanks for the advice! I knew there was a reason why I keep coming back here. Thanks again!!

Either YJ lines or stock brake lines.

I'm guessing that while they might not be listed on the Black Magic website, @mrblaine could likely get you a pair of replacement hoses.
Can but won't. Far too many options for lift height and the resultant confusion thereof which causes lots of phone time, tech calls and returns. I have 10 sets of Crown Performance for all the 4" lift stuff we do. Buying them as front sets in that quantity they still charge me almost 80 bucks a set for just the front pair. I would have to sell them for 104 plus shipping and that is a stupid amount of money to pay for some front lines when stock YJ lines work just fine and can probably be had for 25 bucks.

Reactions: Fonz54 and ac_
YJ lines are in stock at nearly all parts stores around me and I assume around the country. There's a few other trucks that share the front and rear lines with the same connections in different lengths, so if you want a special size and the parts store isn't busy they may help you go through boxes until you find something that you fancy. The Crown lines look nice but are pricey as noted.

Reactions: ac_
According to the reviews of these, I will need a different washer for the TJ, Did you run into that? Thanks for the link btw
You will need a thicker crush washer. Every multi pack that I have bought has had the right thickness included.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
Bring your take off with you to the parts store. You need one on each side of the hard line. jjvw is correct, it's thicker than what comes with those brake lines. I'm pretty sure BMB calipers come with new crush washers too but having spares is never a bad thing.

I don't suggest reusing and annealing. I've never gotten it to work well. Especially considering you're going to pay maybe $5 for new.

Bring your take off with you to the parts store. You need one on each side of the hard line. jjvw is correct, it's thicker than what comes with those brake lines. I'm pretty sure BMB calipers come with new crush washers too but having spares is never a bad thing.

I don't suggest reusing and annealing. I've never gotten it to work well. Especially considering you're going to pay maybe $5 for new.

Oh yeah good plan, I do plan on buying the whole BMB set!

Huh, I thought for sure that they did. Maybe I was thinking of the rear which most definitely did need thick. Thanks for clearing that up.