Front crankshaft seal 4.0L

Austin O.

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’ve been chasing oil leaks in my jeep since I bought it. I fixed the rear main seal, the oil pan gasket, and the valve cover gasket, and that has all greatly reduced the leakage. However there’s still more that I’ve been ignoring since it’s quite small, but decided that I’m gonna fix it now that school is over and I have a bit more time to work on it.

It’s on the front side of the engine, I’ve thought that I just installed the oil pan gasket wrong, but looked closer today and I kind of think it’s coming from above. Checked the valve cover, that’s completely dry. To me, it looked like it’s coming from behind the crankshaft pulley thingy or whatever it’s called. Just found out that there’s such thing as a front crankshaft seal… I took out the fan and fan shroud, along with the serpentine belt tonight, and plan to get the crankshaft pulley off tomorrow.

If this does happen to be the front crankshaft seal, what do I need to buy?

Thanks!

Thank you. I assume there’s a gasket for the timing chain cover as well? Recommended brands for these seals?

No problem. When I did mine I borrowed a seal driver set from auto zone which made it easy getting the seal installed, you should just borrow that while your also getting the harmonic balancer puller. You'll also need a harmonic balancer installer as well to get it back on when you're done. Auto zone had all those as loaners.

Thanks. Won’t have time this weekend to get it all back together, and some stuff came up today, so I’ll rent those next week. I did get a puller though and found my problem 😬

0A6622B4-7F8F-4F0C-B06F-E2F8EDAC0C93.jpeg

I have absolutely no clue how this happened, but I’ve got one guess - a previous (idiotic) owner tried to take the crankshaft pulley off but didn’t have a puller and just jammed a screwdriver up there to try to pry it off?? It’s clearly damaged from the outside.

Anyways, I’ve got the Felpro gasket set now since I was just planning to replace that but I guess I need a new timing cover too. Does brand matter for this? Can I just buy the autozone one? It seems like a pretty straightforward part…