Front differential breather hose connection

DakotaRed

Just picked up a 97 TJ sport and noticed that the breather hose coming out of the top of the front diff is not connected. There is just a hole on the top where I am assuming a nipple connector sticks out of. Does this make sense to anyone? I have asked a couple of jeep parts guys and they don't have anything like that. Is there something at a hardware store that might work?

The end of that vent hose doesn't connect to anything, it's just a vent for the axle housing. That hose just came loose from the plastic clips that hold it near the driver's side of the radiator. The end of the hose with that plastic piece stuck into it will end up positioned just below the top of the radiator.

No, not that end. I mean, I know its just a breather that is connected to the radiator at the top. I am talking about the connection at the differential. I have just a hose with no connector and a hole in the top of the differential.

It looks like mine does not have threads it must just push into the pumkin then attach to the breather hose. Anyone have an idea where I could get one?

Be sure to change the differential fluid ASAP. If water got in there and milkshaked the fluid, you could be in for a bad time. If the fluid comes out looking like newish motor oil you should be okay

This site shows the part number as 83504653. https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/par...&Model=Wrangler&Year=1997&Submodel=&Filter=()

Other MOPAR parts sites I've seen show it discontinued, so I don't know...

I've seen a press in fitting that is listed for the JK dana 30. I don't know if it's any different than the TJ dana 30, but it's cheap and worth a try, https://www.morris4x4center.com/axl...L6TGsKjzJlYxAJVef35l5AuNq89usXXRoCkAAQAvD_BwE

You may need to just drill and tap to 1/4 NPT. If you plan to drain and clean your diff, that would be the time to do it.

Be sure to change the differential fluid ASAP. If water got in there and milkshaked the fluid, you could be in for a bad time. If the fluid comes out looking like newish motor oil you should be okay

I just noticed the same thing on mine...and the water problem came to mind. I tried finding a gasket for the housing and they said they don't make one. SO....if do take of the case to replace the fluid, and recommendations for the gasket? I suppose i can cut one to fit, right?

I just noticed the same thing on mine...and the water problem came to mind. I tried finding a gasket for the housing and they said they don't make one. SO....if do take of the case to replace the fluid, and recommendations for the gasket? I suppose i can cut one to fit, right?

Just use Ultra Black or Ultra Grey RTV and forgo a gasket.