Anyone know what it would cost to have the front driveshaft replaced?

Zhillslady

TJ Enthusiast
Well most know the saga of the 97 wrangler I bought in October that has spent more time at mechanic than I've spent with it. Last week after all the other repairs I was taking it in for O2 sensors and the clutch died. Needed a new slave cylinder so I had slave and master done while it was there along with the sensors.

During the original repairs the mechanic saw the front drive shaft was damaged and removed it so no one would try and use it and do more damage. Anyway to my question. It needs to have the drive shaft replaced or rebuilt for the 4 wheel drive to work. My son-in-law says might as well get it done after spending $9k on it already. Before i call mechanic anyone know what this might run? Thanks

I prefer Adams Driveshaft; a lot of folks will recommend Tom Wood's, which has a great reputation as well. Tom Woods may even be on this forum somewhere. A new driveshaft from Adams is $265, and they do all of the shipping; they'll tell you how to take measurements or will be able to determine length by your lift, etc. A rebuilt driveshaft would be less, but would require you to send it in.

http://www.adamsdriveshaftoffroad.com/tj-front-1310-cv-driveshaft-greasable-u-joints/

Unless you have a local driveshaft shop where you live, I'd recommend Adams or Tom Woods.

There is a local place that people use called Florida Powertrain, they are out on Adamo drive. I believe that they give discounts for Tampa Jeep Krewe members and can fab it up for you while you wait.

I replaced my front driveshaft with one from Tatton off of eBay. It was the best price that I could find and used full spicer joints.

Tom Woods and Adam's are both excellent choices as well.

I personally like Tom Wood's unusually superb pre and post-sales support but any of the above will be fine.

My only suggestion is that you specify the driveshaft be built with Spicer 5-1310x u-joints. They are a long-life trouble-free stronger upgrade to what the factory installs. Don't go with a greasable u-joint like the 5-153x which is not as strong plus it's a PITA to keep up with the regularly required greasing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zhillslady
I second Jerry's suggestion of Tom Wood's driveshaft. Not only are they super friendly, but they also shipped me my driveshaft so ridiculously fast it was crazy.

Not sure front driveshaft cost, but my rear one was $299 brand new. As for labor... to access the front one you've got to drop the skid plate I believe, so there's more work involved than the rear. I could swap a rear one out in 30 minutes tops. A front one though I would think at least an hour or two.

You don't need to drop the skid plate to remove the front driveshaft.

Really? Last time I was under the vehicle, it look like in order to get to the driveshaft flange on the transfer case you had to drop the skid plate. Guess I was wrong!

If that's the case, then it's a super easy job just like the rear driveshaft.

Really? Last time I was under the vehicle, it look like in order to get to the driveshaft flange on the transfer case you had to drop the skid plate. Guess I was wrong!

You have a 2005, she said that hers is a 1997.

The 1997 doesn't require removing the transfer case skid? It looks like he would have to on my 2005 but maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah, I know they changed it, I just wasn't sure how that affected change in the front driveshaft. I guess I know now!

I've never actually seen earlier style transfer case skid in person.

There is a local place that people use called Florida Powertrain, they are out on Adamo drive. I believe that they give discounts for Tampa Jeep Krewe members and can fab it up for you while you wait.

I replaced my front driveshaft with one from Tatton off of eBay. It was the best price that I could find and used full spicer joints.

Tom Woods and Adam's are both excellent choices as well.

The mechanic gave me the option of Florida Powertrain or he could order a replacement from Tom Woods. The original is already out so hopefully the couple of hours Chris mentioned would cover it. I'd like to leave there once under $1,000. I figured after all this might as well have everything work.

Not sure front driveshaft cost, but my rear one was $299 brand new. As for labor... to access the front one you've got to drop the skid plate I believe, so there's more work involved than the rear. I could swap a rear one out in 30 minutes tops. A front one though I would think at least an hour or two.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Gives me an idea before I talk to him if his time sounds reasonably. He's been in Zhills a long time and has a good reputation but never hurts to know something when you go in. He did all the other work as well.

While I'm not 100% sure on the cost of the front driveshaft, I'm pretty certain that it's $300 or under. If everything is already off the vehicle it wouldn't take more than 30 minutes to install a new front driveshaft at most. Especially if you're an experienced mechanic.

this is awesome Chris, thank you. The master cylinder slave cylinder and o2 sensors just cost me another $700 but at least I know it's done right. Tax season has begun so the overtime will catch up those visa bills. It's sad when you need to leave your card # on file at the mechanic. I think he cries each Monday he pulls up and finds it in his drop off bay. LOL

Reactions: Blondie70
this is awesome Chris, thank you. The master cylinder slave cylinder and o2 sensors just cost me another $700 but at least I know it's done right. Tax season has begun so the overtime will catch up those visa bills. It's sad when you need to leave your card # on file at the mechanic. I think he cries each Monday he pulls up and finds it in his drop off bay. LOL

Your TJ must have really been neglected by the previous owner because my TJ has been nothing but reliable since I got it, all of my Jeeps have been actually. You must have a very special case!

Your TJ must have really been neglected by the previous owner because my TJ has been nothing but reliable since I got it, all of my Jeeps have been actually. You must have a very special case!

HA ha my mechanic said I have a cloud over my head and it has wheels. the seller was a friend of brothers who claimed he'd just spend $1000 fixing her up and my guy says he spent that hiding crap wrong. Says it looks like it was neglected a long time. I just met a guy last week that knew the girl that owned before guy I got from. Said she about yanked it to pieces on a couple of runs not knowing what she was doing and he'd seen she flipped it on it's side once and not sure but heard someone hit the under side. Live and learn. I've replaced dang near everything but the transmission and transfer case at this point so it should last a good long time. Better than being in a landfill or junkyard somewhere. I hate people like that who sells cars. They could have sold it to some poor guy with 3 kids and no Visa with a big limit and it would have been a $7k paperweight.

I hate people like that who sells cars. They could have sold it to some poor guy with 3 kids and no Visa with a big limit and it would have been a $7k paperweight.

Me too. Rarely have I ever met a good, honest used car dealer. The majority of them are sleaze balls and are almost always hiding something or covering them up. Fortunately I bought my Rubicon from Ron Tonkin Honda which is a very reputable and very huge car dealership here in the PNW. Because of that I was a bit more confident since I was buying it from a big name dealer.

So far no issues at all, but then again, it does only have 75k miles on it.