Anyone know what it would cost to have the front driveshaft replaced?

You have a 2005, she said that hers is a 1997.
I had a 97 and considered the job of getting the front driveshaft unbolted from the transfer case as too difficult for me without dropping the skid plate. I tried not dropping the skid plate a couple times but even with my non-large hands & arms, it just seemed undoable without leaving some of my blood behind.

Reactions: Chris
I had a 97 and considered the job of getting the front driveshaft unbolted from the transfer case as too difficult for me without dropping the skid plate. I tried not dropping the skid plate a couple times but even with my non-large hands & arms, it just seemed undoable without leaving some of my blood behind.

While I haven't seen the earlier skid plate, my 2005 is the same way. Part of me thinks I may be able to get the front driveshaft unbolted, but then the better part of me knows I'll end up bloody and battered unless I remove the skid plate.

The good thing is now I pretty much know what's what with it. I will say for a while I was questioning my mechanic but he has an excellent reputation. Here's her story since I bought her in October from family friend that claimed in excellent shape. Dang used car salesmen.

I took her in and she needed a lot of maintenance work (water pump, battery, shocks, bearings, oil, fluids, flushes, etc) and she was good to go. 2nd time I drove it, on the way home it started this terrible clunking. I thought something fell out so had it towed in. Turns out rear differential went out and while test driving it check engine light showed power steering something or other needed replacing. While he was replacing the differential he noticed the front drive shaft was damaged so removed it till we could look into further. So I replaced the differential, power steering etc and month later she chugs down the road and won't run right. Back to the shop to find out one clylinder on motor died at 132,000 miles. Rather than try and piecemeal after investing this much money we decided just to order a jasper rebuilt. While replacing the motor they found the exhaust manifold was cracked in 2 places, coil was cracked, 2 motor mounts were bad and a bearing or something inside the clutch was broken in a couple of pieces. I replaced all that and I'll be danged if week later check engine light is back on showing the 02 sensors are no good. On my way to drop off at shop I stopped to get gas and noticed a puddle underneath. Half way there my clutch goes. Turns out was the slave cylinder so I had the slave, master and 02 sensors replaced. Figured after spending this much may as well go ahead and replace the front drive shaft finally. Is she worth the $17,000 I invested? Of course not but I can't live with myself hiding stuff to sell her and now she should last a long time. Mechanic keeps saying nothing else major to fix except tranny and transfer case but I told him hush. Every time she says that something else goes. She was obviously abused and poorly maintained but her body is still in great shape and she has a new home that's not a junk yard. Good thing tax season is usually 10+ hours a week overtime so will pay off a lot of her repairs. Now new carpet or leave it just metal floors????????

The good thing is now I pretty much know what's what with it. I will say for a while I was questioning my mechanic but he has an excellent reputation. Here's her story since I bought her in October from family friend that claimed in excellent shape. Dang used car salesmen.

I took her in and she needed a lot of maintenance work (water pump, battery, shocks, bearings, oil, fluids, flushes, etc) and she was good to go. 2nd time I drove it, on the way home it started this terrible clunking. I thought something fell out so had it towed in. Turns out rear differential went out and while test driving it check engine light showed power steering something or other needed replacing. While he was replacing the differential he noticed the front drive shaft was damaged so removed it till we could look into further. So I replaced the differential, power steering etc and month later she chugs down the road and won't run right. Back to the shop to find out one clylinder on motor died at 132,000 miles. Rather than try and piecemeal after investing this much money we decided just to order a jasper rebuilt. While replacing the motor they found the exhaust manifold was cracked in 2 places, coil was cracked, 2 motor mounts were bad and a bearing or something inside the clutch was broken in a couple of pieces. I replaced all that and I'll be danged if week later check engine light is back on showing the 02 sensors are no good. On my way to drop off at shop I stopped to get gas and noticed a puddle underneath. Half way there my clutch goes. Turns out was the slave cylinder so I had the slave, master and 02 sensors replaced. Figured after spending this much may as well go ahead and replace the front drive shaft finally. Is she worth the $17,000 I invested? Of course not but I can't live with myself hiding stuff to sell her and now she should last a long time. Mechanic keeps saying nothing else major to fix except tranny and transfer case but I told him hush. Every time she says that something else goes. She was obviously abused and poorly maintained but her body is still in great shape and she has a new home that's not a junk yard. Good thing tax season is usually 10+ hours a week overtime so will pay off a lot of her repairs. Now new carpet or leave it just metal floors????????

Everything you've dealt with is so unusual, especially at such low miles. You clearly purchased a lemon, but at least you're rescuing it. I think it's totally worth it as long as it's worth it to you. I've put so much money into mine, but again, worth it to me!

Speaking of taxes... I need to make an appointment with my tax guy!

Yeap she's staying with me forever. And call the tax man soon. We never tell you but we hate last minute appointments.

Speaking of taxes... I need to make an appointment with my tax guy![/QUOTE]

Now new carpet or leave it just metal floors????????
I'd keep carpeting in the Jeep. I have removed my carpeting several times but I keep replacing it within a few days because of the additional noise and heat. The carpeting really serves as a great acoustic and heat insulator and without it, the interior gets a lot hotter and noisier.

Last edited:
X2 to what Jerry said. Keep the carpet it unless it's solely used for off-roading and you never drive it on-road.

Carpet is an insulator as well as an acoustic. You'll definitely notice it if you remove the carpet, and it won't be a good thing.

I'd keep carpeting in the Jeep. I have removed my carpeting several times because I keep replacing it within a few days... the carpeting really serves as a great acoustic and heat insulator and without it, the interior gets a lot hotter and noisier.

OP took it all out but I think I'm going to replace it.

I have a 4" RC lift w/ transfer case lowered on my 03 TJ Sport. However, recently my Jeep starting making a loud chirping sound when driving. Took it to the local Brake Masters shop and they said front drive shaft was bent. So, I removed drive shaft. Called another drivetrain mechanic and he doubts the drive shaft is bent but suspects the u-joints are shot. I'm wondering if I should just replace the front drive shaft with one designed for lift. like Tom Woods or Adams. Or if original drive shaft isn't damage, just replace the u-joints. Any thoughts?

There is a local place that people use called Florida Powertrain, they are out on Adamo drive. I believe that they give discounts for Tampa Jeep Krewe members and can fab it up for you while you wait.

I replaced my front driveshaft with one from Tatton off of eBay. It was the best price that I could find and used full spicer joints.

Tom Woods and Adam's are both excellent choices as well.
How do you like the Tatton front drive shaft? Any issues? Can you get the non-greaseable u-joints instead of greaseable?

How do you like the Tatton front drive shaft? Any issues? Can you get the non-greaseable u-joints instead of greaseable?

I have not had any issues with it. I don’t know what they offer for u-joints, you will need to contact them directly. That was three years ago. :)