Front driveshaft advice

Rooster

TJ Enthusiast
The front driveshaft on my new to me 97 TJ took a hit and is bent. The jeep had a 4" Skyjacker lift installed by the previous owners and the front DS stayed stock. Anyway, the ride length is currently at 39 1/2" (4.0, 32RH auto, NP231 w/SYE). I have heard of Cherokee shafts being used- what do you guys say?

Be aware your front driveshaft has a smaller diameter than usual so it can clear the 32RH pan. I'd take it to a driveshaft specialty shop and have it straightened and rebuilt. Or call Tom Wood's driveshaft shop and have him build one for you. Odds are that wouldn't cost much more, if any at all, than having it straightened and rebuilt. I recommend nothing but Spicer 5-1310x u-joints.

Be aware your front driveshaft has a smaller diameter than usual so it can clear the 32RH pan. I'd take it to a driveshaft specialty shop and have it straightened and rebuilt. Or call Tom Wood's driveshaft shop and have him build one for you. Odds are that wouldn't cost much more, if any at all, than having it straightened and rebuilt. I recommend nothing but Spicer 5-1310x u-joints.
That's pretty much the way I was seeing it go. I learned of the two different diameter DSs so at least I was aware of that. I just thought there might be something close to a drop-in out there. Thanks!

That's pretty much the way I was seeing it go. I learned of the two different diameter DSs so at least I was aware of that. I just thought there might be something close to a drop-in out there. Thanks!
I dropped the old driveshaft off at the driveline shop today. It will get a new tube, lengthened, and balanced for $100- done deal.

Jerry is dead on on the Spicers. I'm all for rebuilding the Double Cardan anytime you do the others.