Front driveshaft locks / seizes up (video)

Ascho7

Normally I can find an answer pretty quick on here without having to make a post, but need some input from some of you on this one. I recently filled transfer case but it was very low and not sure if that’s what did it or just wheeling/driving in general. Haven’t used 4wd in about a year from school, and this happens. Shifts into 4lo/4hi with ease, drives fine, but as soon as there is any load (like against a log or in mud), for lack of a better word, almost locks up or seizes. Only in 4wd, and only with a load on. Otherwise operates like normal. I’m just not sure where to start. Chances are TC could be shot, which would suck, but hoping some of you can give me an idea on what to think about doing next. The only thought I have is one of the spline on the driveshaft to/from the TC to front axle, but I can’t explain or understand why it would be spinning perfectly fine when not under heavy load (even up to ~2k rpm when driving on gravel). Don’t really want to throw parts at it since thats never ending. Let me know if any of you have any ideas. I know U-Joints get brought up a lot, and I haven’t really gotten under to take a look yet as it’s pouring rain and cold here. About to head out to sea in the next week or so and hope to get to this sorted for the next time I’m home. Thanks in advance all.

Edit: NV231J

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    11.4 MB
Last edited:
are your rear tires spinning while this happens?

Don't know how often this actually happens but almost seems like your TC chain might actually be loose enough to jump teeth.

are your rear tires spinning while this happens?

Don't know how often this actually happens but almost seems like your TC chain might actually be loose enough to jump teeth.

Will have to take a look tomorrow AM. Definitely something to think about. I’ll keep you updated on that one. It’s a weird one for sure.

@freedom_in_4low Alright here’s the update. 4wd, front end on jackstands, and in the video attached it’s almost a clicking noise. my thought is thats either the gears or tc chain slipping, but id hope to pinpoint it’s the tc chain if possible. If so, I can drop the tc and replace that myself. However, I’m not yet convinced on that is what the issue is and id know what I’m getting myself into before I drop it. Do you have any ideas what this sound is from? The rear driveshaft was moving as I moved the front driveshaft as well. I did read there would be some slack (1/4 turn) from the loose chain as you spin the driveshaft one way and change direction, but I’m not sure if I’m diagnosing that right. If you have any input or anything else that may point me in the right direction, id be very appreciative. TIA

wow

yeah this video makes it look like your chain is completely done. The clicks correspond with it jumping but the chain isn't actually moving, so it's like the front gear is moving in the chain.

When I had mine apart, it was tight enough that I couldn't even install the front output gear with the chain on if the rear output gear was already in place. I had to get the chain in place on both gears and then drop them in together like a big assembly. Not a chance it could jump like that.

20200102_204912.jpg

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
wow

yeah this video makes it look like your chain is completely done. The clicks correspond with it jumping but the chain isn't actually moving, so it's like the front gear is moving in the chain.

When I had mine apart, it was tight enough that I couldn't even install the front output gear with the chain on if the rear output gear was already in place. I had to get the chain in place on both gears and then drop them in together like a big assembly. Not a chance it could jump like that.

View attachment 380931

Good to know. Appreciate the photo as well. As I mentioned 4wd hadn’t been used in a long while so unfortunately also had no idea. I’ll send photos when I open it up for your entertainment and go from there. I think rebuild kits run about 150-200 and I would much rather learn to rebuild it then buy another old one. I’ll keep you updated, just dropping it now.

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
Never got around to posting the pics, but had a broken tc shift fork, with one of the forks having about 1.5” broken off, and here’s the chain. Thanks for all the help guys.

A9F3D79D-36AC-468F-9A36-895EC743982C.jpeg

Reactions: freedom_in_4low