Front end vibrations

MellowYellow

TJ Enthusiast
Howdy! Not new to Jeeps but new to the forum. Had a 2000 TJ for 15 years until it got in a fight with a Dodge truck. Just bought a lifted 04 with 33s and the dreaded 3.07s. Already learned a lot by reading here, but still a few questions. I'm saving my nickles and dimes for some 4.10s, but first I gotta get rid of front end vibration. From what I've read, the track bar is the prime suspect. Not quite the "death wobble" but pretty bad. What would be the next suspects? Also, I can't seem to find OEM seat hardware, or aftermarket, anywhere. Can earlier TJ or even YJ hardware be made to fit? Thanks for the help.
1505078568642-770394472.jpg

Reactions: LTTJ
1) Check trackbar first. Have someone do a dry steering test turning wheel from 10-2-10-2... while you watch underneath for play at the axle side bushing. Any play is enough to cause what you describe.

Then check Tie Rod ends at Tie Rod, Drag Link/knuckle and Drag Link/Pitman arm.

Check to see if you have a drop Pitman arm. If so, ditch it and go back to stock. You need like 6" lift to need a drop Pitman

Get your tires balanced perfect no matter what you do

After this it's ball joints, upper and lower control arm bushings, rotors.

2) rethink gearing to 4.11. What tranny do you have? What engine? What tires do you intend to run?

3) sorry, can't help with the aftermarket seat hardware

Reactions: Chris
1) Check trackbar first. Have someone do a dry steering test turning wheel from 10-2-10-2... while you watch underneath for play at the axle side bushing. Any play is enough to cause what you describe.

Then check Tie Rod ends at Tie Rod, Drag Link/knuckle and Drag Link/Pitman arm.

Check to see if you have a drop Pitman arm. If so, ditch it and go back to stock. You need like 6" lift to need a drop Pitman

Get your tires balanced perfect no matter what you do

After this it's ball joints, upper and lower control arm bushings, rotors.

2) rethink gearing to 4.11. What tranny do you have? What engine? What tires do you intend to run?

3) sorry, can't help with the aftermarket seat hardware
Planning on staying with 33s. I've got the 4.0 and a five speed. I was thinking about 3.73s but, just from reading, most people say 4.10s. Won't see much offroading (sadly) is why I thought 3.73. The 3.07s are great until fourth gear, fifth is for downhill only.

Tire blance is the prime suspect. Find a place that has somebody who off roads and has some experience with bigger tires. The tires on a TJ need to be balance perfectly to keep the shimmies at bay. Not "close enough", perfectly. I have my suspicions as to why that is, but it's a fact. If that doesn't correct the front end vibration, then start checking the things that @JMT mentioned.

Start a thread on gearing. We need to know what engine, transmission and axles you have to make a good recommendation. In the end, don't fear the gear.

What seat hardware are you looking for? It's out there. Some new and some used.

Reactions: JMT
Replaced lower ball joints and had tires balanced. Problem solved!! 3 of the tires were WAY off balance. About 3/4 tread gone anyway. Replacing them in a couple months. Thanks fer the help.

Reactions: StG58 and JMT
Replaced lower ball joints and had tires balanced. Problem solved!! 3 of the tires were WAY off balance. About 3/4 tread gone anyway. Replacing them in a couple months. Thanks fer the help.

HA! I knew it... I tell you, 9 out of 10 times (maybe more) the culprit is almost always improperly balanced tires. Glad you figured it out though, and thanks for reporting back with what it turned out to be. Helps others in the future who might stumble upon this thread.