Front main seal popping out

Easton.15

Recently bought an 06 2.4L TJ (83,000 miles). The front main seal has popped out 3 times on 3 different test drives. I’ve used 3 deals from the dealership. Also there’s 1/16th inch play in the crankshaft. Mechanic wants to rebuild the engine. Where can I find a 2.4 engine or should i just take the one i have and fix it?

High crankcase pressure caused by excessive blow by OR a malfunctioning PCV system can cause that.

Reactions: Rubicon John
My mechanic at a local shop was installing them. He said the PCV was okay, but never got back to me on whether the oil pump was causing too much pressure. He seemed pretty close minded on an engine rebuild, so I ended up towing the Jeep to my companies mechanic, i’ll find out from them this week. But with the crankshaft play happening every time the clutch is pushed in. they’ll probably come to the same result as the previous mechanic.

If the crank is moving when you push the clutch in, the thrust bearing is shot or the crank where the thrust bearing rides is. At the minimum need crank bearings, but I would probably do a full rebuild. That wore out thrust bearing was probably ground up and was distributed throughout the engine by the oil pump.

Recently bought an 06 2.4L TJ (83,000 miles). The front main seal has popped out 3 times on 3 different test drives. I’ve used 3 deals from the dealership. Also there’s 1/16th inch play in the crankshaft. Mechanic wants to rebuild the engine. Where can I find a 2.4 engine or should i just take the one i have and fix it?

Hi Easton,
Did you find a solution for this? It sounds like I have have the exact same problem. I've got an '06 2.4L 75k miles.

Here is a pic the mechanic sent me.

image0 (1).jpeg

The 2.4 is quite different from the 4.0. The 2.4 front seal is part of the oil pump assembly. The oil pump gear rotor is right behind the seal. Oil leaking internally from the high pressure pump combined with blow-by causes the seal to pop out. Some folks will glue them in with a solid setting sealant. I have also glued it in and peened the aluminum housing around the seal to help hold it in.

The 2.4 is quite different from the 4.0. The 2.4 front seal is part of the oil pump assembly. The oil pump gear rotor is right behind the seal. Oil leaking internally from the high pressure pump combined with blow-by causes the seal to pop out. Some folks will glue them in with a solid setting sealant. I have also glued it in and peened the aluminum housing around the seal to help hold it in.

Jezza, Thank you. I think this is worth a try. Do you know what type of glue or solid setting sealant have worked the best?