Front & Rear Bump Stops

Vali Jo

New member here. I have a '97 wrangler sport, 4.0L that I am installing a 2.5" lift on. Prior to starting I have been checking on a few things and discovered the poor condition (if you can even call it that) of both my front and rear bump stops. While I have owned it since '98, I have never played with it (modifications/upgrades) with the exception of the exhaust manifold. In other words, I know nothing about bump stops. I am looking for any/all recommendations as I would like to make sure it is right the first time. What size, what type, anything else I may be missing, etc...
I am attaching photos for visual. Note that it appears as if I am missing the bump stop on the front driver and rear passenger side.

IMG_0754.JPG
IMG_0755.JPG
IMG_0760.JPG
IMG_0761.JPG

Man oh man, I would worry about that rust for starters!

Which lift are you installing? Most lifts (good ones at least) will come with new bump stops as part of the kit. That would take care of the worn and nasty ones that are currently on there.

Reactions: Vali Jo
Man oh man, I would worry about that rust for starters!

Which lift are you installing? Most lifts (good ones at least) will come with new bump stops as part of the kit. That would take care of the worn and nasty ones that are currently on there.
"sigh" an RC 2.5" x-series. I sigh because it was after I purchased the kit (based off of other recommendations) when I found this forum and have since subsequently read comments here regarding their products. Since I'm already committed, I just want to make sure I don't short change myself moving forward. That being said, it seems that the bump stop is one of the only items not provided.
I intend on addressing the rust as I tear this baby apart.

Reactions: Chris
Welcome to the forum! There is a thread on how to measure for proper bump stops here somewhere. @Chris can probably find it for ya. That rust definitely needs some attention:eek:

Welcome to the forum! There is a thread on how to measure for proper bump stops here somewhere. @Chris can probably find it for ya. That rust definitely needs some attention:eek:
Thank you. Any information is greatly appreciated! The rust is unfortunately part of the perils of living in the Midwest. Road Salt is a #!@!

Last edited:
Here's a good thread to read on how to adjust your bump stop:
How to set your bump stop on a Jeep Wrangler TJ

As for the RC lifts, yes, they are generally a very crappy lift. However, the springs aren't that bad, it's the shocks they give you which amount to the shitty ride. Pair a set of RC springs with a good shock (i.e. Rancho, Bilstein, etc.), and it will make for a good ride.

In regards to new bump stops, you could get something like these ones:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IARR9U/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Those are a popular choice, and highly reviewed as well. You need a pair for the front and back, but you can adjust them to the desired height. You'll need new bump stops (and properly adjust them per that thread above too) with the new lift!

Judging from the photos, you will most likely need 4 of these as well, as the bump stop 'cups' in most of those photos appear to be either missing or eaten up by rust, unfortunately:

cr52087635_is?$200x200$.jpg