Front Suspension Cycling Results

The fenders don't add much. They get rid of the flange that the flares mount to but that's like 3/4". 2" bumps were enough to keep 32s out of the stock fenders before I cut them off the TJ, and though I didn't cycle before tearing the LJ apart, I havent found any signs of contact between the 33s and the stock fenders with the 2" of extension it had.

I'll know for sure later in the week, my Currie bumps are supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I was fine with what I had except for this happening when I put on the Currie 4" springs.

View attachment 217346

I'm admittedly at a loss how you're getting tire contact with 3" of extension and what looks like 2" of air still in between with 33" tires. Where exactly are the tires making contact? And what specifically are you tire and wheel dimensions?
How are the currie bump stops going to help that?

Do the LCoG builds emphasize down travel while limiting up travel? In other words, is the shock 2/3+ of the way compressed at ride height?

If so, that would seem to be counterproductive to utilizing the shocks’ full travel.

From what I've seen, most LCoG guys aren't really paying attention to fitting anything with any thought beyond big tires and minimal lift. The rest just is what it is. The resulting shock travel just happens to be heavily biased towards down travel with still looks awesome on a ramp. That's all that matters to them.

How are the currie bump stops going to help that?

Help with the spring plucking the cup? The cup is eliminated and the upper jounce is domed.

Moving the axle forward would also help.

Help with the spring plucking the cup? The cup is eliminated and the upper jounce is domed.

Yes, looks like spring plucking even if cup was removed. Just wondered what I was missing.

Yes, looks like spring plucking even if cup was removed. Just wondered what I was missing.
The other thing Currie bumps do is split the extension between the upper and lower which helps with their alignment.

Reactions: JMT
👍
Worth 130 bones per set?
Depends on the build. I ran extended factory bumps on mine for a long time. I probably would not start considering them for anything less than an 4" spring. After that, you might want them when you see that the factory stuff isn't fitting as well as they should.

Do the LCoG builds emphasize down travel while limiting up travel? In other words, is the shock 2/3+ of the way compressed at ride height?

If so, that would seem to be counterproductive to utilizing the shocks’ full travel.
it is my understanding that many lcog builds do, they take away from the stock (up) travel numbers is 4 up, 4 down, fit 35s for example and a 2" lift with said shocks and youll be in favor of of down, probably something like 2 up and 6 down. Dumb in my opinion since its travel is limited by the shock length, its pretty common they run a long shock to create a down travel monster while barely retaining any uptravel. Hence earlier said why run 14" coilovers just to maintain stock 4" up travel

Reactions: Rubicon John
From what I've seen, most LCoG guys aren't really paying attention to fitting anything with any thought beyond big tires and minimal lift. The rest just is what it is. The resulting shock travel just happens to be heavily biased towards down travel with still looks awesome on a ramp. That's all that matters to them.
Gotcha. I wasn’t sure if it was more for looks or if there was a design philosophy that benefitted them off road. I thought about as much.

Gotcha. I wasn’t sure if it was more for looks or if there was a design philosophy that benefitted them off road. I thought about as much.
the only "philosophy" that they "benefit" from offroad is in the name, Lcog=low center of gravity=less prone to flipping.

Reactions: Rubicon John
There is a design philosophy. But it is based on a flawed premise of how to improve stability. For most, it is a way to justify a lazy, poorly thought out build.

Reactions: D M
I remember that Jimmy Nylund wrote an article about that in the early 2000s with the title "Does flex equal traction?" or something along that line. Hard to believe that all these years later people are still building that way.

I remember that Jimmy Nylund wrote an article about that in the early 2000s with the title "Does flex equal traction?" or something along that line. Hard to believe that all these years later people are still building that way.
are you saying that more flex=less traction or vise versa?

I don't have much farther to go. Might have picked up some fractions when I set the caster but not enough to get the spring out of the cup.

20200419_212621.jpg

It did irritate me some that the alignment of the bump stops suggested I could go forward another 1/8", but the clearance to that bolt head is smaller than it looks in the photo.

Do people clearance that gusset? Seems counterintuitive to remove material that Currie deemed necessary, and still probably wouldn't solve the plucking but I could actually center the factory bumps at full stuff.

I don't have much farther to go. Might have picked up some fractions when I set the caster but not enough to get the spring out of the cup.

View attachment 217387

It did irritate me some that the alignment of the bump stops suggested I could go forward another 1/8", but the clearance to that bolt head is smaller than it looks in the photo.

Do people clearance that gusset? Seems counterintuitive to remove material that Currie deemed necessary, and still probably wouldn't solve the plucking but I could actually center the factory bumps at full stuff.
I made the Currie bar work where I wanted it (cut out the gusset a little with grinding and bent it in a shop press)

Last edited:
are you saying that more flex=less traction or vise versa?
There is a point of diminishing return on flex. To maintain traction you have to have some amount of pressure on the tires contact patch. So what good is a tire touching the ground if it does not provide traction. The RTI ramp was the be all measure of off road prowess in the 2000s but people started to realize that cool ramp score did not actually translate into real world ability.

Bumpstop contact causes instability. LCOG builds have to spend significantly more time on the bumpstop vs a normal lift.

Yep that LCOG is no good if you keep upsetting it with a lack of balance.

I made the Currie bar work where I wanted it (cut out the gusset a little with grinding and bent it in a shop press)

I don't have a press but I've got grinders! With the gusset as it is I haven't run into the need to bend it but I suppose I may see it when I go back for another round of adjustments.

</threadjack>