Front sway bar links are too short after installing lift

Franco

So I installed ProComp springs that are 2.5” taller than stock and Rancho 5000x shocks (55239 and 55241). I did the following test on the front: with the track bar disconnected but the sway bar link connected on one side, I started lifting the frame on that side, the suspension extends and eventually what stops the extension is the sway bar. This seems like it wouldn’t be good for the articulated end of the sway bar link. I could get longer sway bar links, but then what would stop the extension? Or will the extension be a lot more limited once the track bar is back on?

This is what I mean:

IMG_2223_2.JPG

I lifted that side of the car until the suspension stopped extending. At that point what's keeping it from extending any more is the sway bar. The shock has another 1.75" to go and the spring is almost fully decompressed. It just seems wrong that the sway bar link is what would limit the extension.

If your non-stock shock travels exceed the range of the stock sway bar links, then you run the risk of putting the ball and socket into a bind and breaking it. The bottom line is that you need longer links or a link with a greater range of motion.

Reactions: MaloStapalo and JMT
I think this is kind of why folks generally disconnect the sway bar for off road. On the road, you'll have to be in a pretty gnarly situation to be twisting up the suspension enough for the sway bar link to matter. But longer links will help to a degree.

I think this is kind of why folks generally disconnect the sway bar for off road. On the road, you'll have to be in a pretty gnarly situation to be twisting up the suspension enough for the sway bar link to matter. But longer links will help to a degree.

The primary reason people disconnect the stock front is because the stock front is very stiff and will typically resisting articulation before the links become a problem. However, a suspension lift moves the stock links past the middle of their range of motion causing them to reach bind on the droop side earlier than they were ever intended to.

It just seems wrong that the sway bar link is what would limit the extension.
Why? Its doing what it is designed for. That is it's attempting to keep both sides level. As one side droops the swaybar limits its travel and eventually stops it. This is why folks use disconnects.

I run Rough Country's quick disco's for my 2.5 lift. They are holding up very well.

I don't think the OP knows what he wants for sure, but he certainly needs some longer front sway bar links. I didn't mess with trying to find some longer one's that will simply bolt on in the same way the stock one's do. In fact, I just tried to find some and couldn't. Doesn't mean they're not out there, but most people go with the JKS quick disconnects. These are adjustable and you can disconnect them when going off-road, which is valuable for getting more articulation and performance off-road. Choose proper length for your lift.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16160_03.htm

Reactions: billiebob
I don't think the OP knows what he wants for sure, but he certainly needs some longer front sway bar links. I didn't mess with trying to find some longer one's that will simply bolt on in the same way the stock one's do. In fact, I just tried to find some and couldn't. Doesn't mean they're not out there, but most people go with the JKS quick disconnects. These are adjustable and you can disconnect them when going off-road, which is valuable for getting more articulation and performance off-road. Choose proper length for your lift.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16160_03.htm
Hi JMT
With a 2.5 OME lift, do you recommend JKS 2001 (SUPPOSED FOR 2.5'' TO 6'') OR JKS 2000 (SUPPOSED FOR 0'' TO 2'' LIFT)...?
Another question, When off roading, is it possible to let them connected because they are good quality or do you think it is too risky and they will end up being broken...?

Envoyé de mon MHA-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: JLANEF
It just depends on what you are going to be doing with it overall, or on that particular day or trail. Light trail running? Leave it connected. Any more than that, probably disconnect it.

As far as a 2.5" lift, go with the 2001. Based purely on specs, the 2001 is what would be called for. Plus, don't the OME sometimes run a little taller? So, that would put you even farther into the 2001 range.

I am new to the Jeep world as of the first of this year and basically have never been offroad (I plan on changing that, LOL). I put JKS quicker disconnects on this week and don't think I will worry about them breaking. They are pretty beefy.

20190510_143514.jpg

Hi JMT
With a 2.5 OME lift, do you recommend JKS 2001 (SUPPOSED FOR 2.5'' TO 6'') OR JKS 2000 (SUPPOSED FOR 0'' TO 2'' LIFT)...?
Another question, When off roading, is it possible to let them connected because they are good quality or do you think it is too risky and they will end up being broken...?

Envoyé de mon MHA-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk
JKS 2000 will work well for your 2.5” OME. This is a tried and true combination

You can leave them connected off-road. You just won’t get the advantage of greater articulation.

After I lifted my Jeep, I’ve never done anything with my sway bar links. Not sure if it’s limited anything, but thanks to this thread, I will take a look there to see if I just didn’t realize it.

Besides that, are there other negative side effects of not getting longer sway bar links? Would it impact the ride or how it performs under normal operations or moderate flexing?

After I lifted my Jeep, I’ve never done anything with my sway bar links. Not sure if it’s limited anything, but thanks to this thread, I will take a look there to see if I just didn’t realize it.

Besides that, are there other negative side effects of not getting longer sway bar links? Would it impact the ride or how it performs under normal operations or moderate flexing?
Some with a 2" lift don't worry about the links as the ride is not affected. I changed mine to go to disconnects.

This is what I mean:

View attachment 92274

I lifted that side of the car until the suspension stopped extending. At that point what's keeping it from extending any more is the sway bar. The shock has another 1.75" to go and the spring is almost fully decompressed. It just seems wrong that the sway bar link is what would limit the extension.
It sure is , and get out in the woods and something is gonna give possibly .

If you lift it , before you go off road , check your transfer case engagement, as a lift can mess with this as well .