Front Sway Bar Question

Same question, are there any bits on the rig that assist with controlling chassis lean during cornering besides the swaybars?
Coils and shocks to some extent.

Why yes we do. So if one side is lifting higher, does that not also pull the swaybar to one side?
Yes, the amount of pull depending on the difference in amount of lift under acceleration.

If you think the coils do anything to control body roll, pull your shocks and do a few slow speed turns safely.
Just what I read elsewhere. No hard data.

Yes, the amount of pull depending on the difference in amount of lift under acceleration.
Good, now we all understand that even with a perfectly centered front axle, there is still a very distinct possibility that the sway bar can shift and if one insists on running one, a very easy way to keep it centered is a couple of shaft collars.

As someone who believes that you can't actually prove the age of a stalagmite or stalactite via current growth rates, you should know better.
Correct. I do know better methodologically, but don’t have the time and resources to do all the experiments

Lift is a Teraflex Enduro LCG long arm with upgraded Falcon shocks. Guessing that helps it a bit.
Jerry tends to forget or misremember that I once took him for a very spirited drive in a lifted TJ on 35's and he was fully unaware that the sway bars were not hooked up until after the drive and there was nothing to indicate they weren't during the drive and no one died.

Point being, a blanket statement that running without sway bars is less safe is completely false.

Reactions: lBasket and UhOh
@mrblaine. Your implying collars should have come from the factory.

@mrblaine. Your implying collars should have come from the factory.
I am not since the factory front sway bar did not have the shifting problem because the bushings are good, the sway bar isn't a rusty piece of crap that ruins the bushings, the end links are in good condition, etc.

If you could walk up to a new TJ and try to kick the bar over to one side, it would not be easy. The factory shocks and low suspension also helped mitigate body roll and the subsequent pull.

Reactions: lBasket and JMT
I drove with no front sway bar for months. It never bothered me. Only reason I went back was possibility of high speed swerve to avoid an object or animal. Since we know performance is affected, is it to the extent that’s it’s more dangerous to swerve at a high speed without one.

I don’t condone swerving at high speed, but without discipline many will swerve.

I am not since the factory front sway bar did not have the shifting problem because the bushings are good, the sway bar isn't a rusty piece of crap that ruins the bushings, the end links are in good condition, etc.

If you could walk up to a new TJ and try to kick the bar over to one side, it would not be easy. The factory shocks and low suspension also helped mitigate body roll and the subsequent pull.
So, the OP needs an adjustable TB and collars if he wants to run a stock sway bar? The independent arm manipulation on an AntiRock and the mount through the front crossmember mitigate any shifting due to rotational torque and driver side lifting?

So, the OP needs an adjustable TB and collars if he wants to run a stock sway bar? The independent arm manipulation on an AntiRock and the mount through the front crossmember mitigate any shifting due to rotational torque and driver side lifting?
He has a problem; the sway bar shifts. Solve that with a couple of shaft collars on the insides of the mounts. If he installs an adjustable and still has the sway bar shifting problem, then what? He still needs to know how to solve the shift issue even with an adjustable track bar. Not sure why everyone is making this much harder than it needs to be.

He has a problem; the sway bar shifts. Solve that with a couple of shaft collars on the insides of the mounts. If he installs an adjustable and still has the sway bar shifting problem, then what? He still needs to know how to solve the shift issue even with an adjustable track bar. Not sure why everyone is making this much harder than it needs to be.
I just think ideally at 4” lift the axle is off by 1-2” and you’d want to correct that. You’ve got shocks and CA’s that limit how far the axle can be off center, but it’s still pulling on the sway bar, right? Correct that and the pull will dissipate. Collars alone would just force everything to stay put. Hmm…I guess that’s ok but maybe not ideal. Just talking it out.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Definitely fix the off-center axle before just locking the antiswaybar into its center position which I personally don't believe is needed with a centered axle. Yes the axle shifts left/right as it moves up/down but at least get it centered when the axle is in its normal position it's not drooped or compressed upward.

So were the ones I referenced, I paid $6 each, some off road retailers charge up to ten times that.
That looks remarkably like a one piece.

1647020780199.png

Reactions: DrDmoney