Front tires rub coil tower at full stuff and turned in (31x10.5 on stock canyon wheel)

mchuhn

Supporting Member
I spent some time today finally testing out bump stop on the front of my TJ, for both the shocks and the tires.
Everything was going great until I did full stuff, one side at a time, and then turned the driver tire to the right. I noticed the front edge of the inside tire makes contact with the coil tower well before the full steering lock. The same occurs on the passenger side turning to the left.

The steering stops have already been set to not contact the CAs during ride height steering. The steering stops are a good distance away when this tower rubbing occurs at full stuff.
It looks like I would need to have at least 2.5 inches of bump stop for this to be just barely clear at full turn. Putting that much bump would be a bummer as the tires still have a good 2+ inches from the inner fender. Also, this is with 29 psi ...

I see people say all the time the 31x10.5s fit the TJ totally fine on stock 15x8 wheels, besides having to add washers to the steering stop. Are these people not cycling their suspensions or am I just unlucky?

Last edited:
Are these people not cycling their suspensions or am I just unlucky?
They're not cycling their suspension. Most people don't. Those who do, learn things.

31x10.5s are oversize. You can add bump stop and/or steering stop to mitigate the rubbing. Or wheel spacers or wheels with shallower backspacing. Or you can decide how much rubbing you can put up with. If the tire is rubbing on a smooth part, and it only happens when you'll be crawling slowly, and fairly rarely, you might decide to ignore it. Unless it's really digging in hard.

Other opinions may differ, of course.

Reactions: RMETeeJay
I spent some time today finally testing out bump stop on the front of my TJ, for both the shocks and the tires.
Everything was going great until I did full stuff, one side at a time, and then turned the driver tire to the right. I noticed the front edge of the inside tire makes contact with the coil tower well before the full steering lock. The same occurs on the passenger side turning to the left.

The steering stops have already been set to not contact the CAs during ride height steering. The steering stops are a good distance away when this tower rubbing occurs at full stuff.
It looks like I would need to have at least 2.5 inches of bump stop for this to be just barely clear at full turn. Putting that much bump would be a bummer as the tires still have a good 2+ inches from the inner fender. Also, this is with 29 psi ...

I see people say all the time the 31x10.5s fit the TJ totally fine on stock 15x8 wheels, besides having to add washers to the steering stop. Are these people not cycling their suspensions or am I just unlucky?

You can, but there might be some rubbing. It's probably no big deal.

To alleviate it you can

1) get some wheel spacers to improve your backspacing (a small cost of ~$100, aim for 4" backspacing)
2) get some aftermarket wheels with 4" backspacing
3) add some washers on the steering stops

I think I am going to split the difference with the bump stops.
I need about .5 inches for my shocks, the wheels are great at full stuff with .5 inches bump (unless turned inwards).
So I will probably run 1.5 inches and call it good.

THanks for the notes ... I was just surprised to have this much shock tower rub, even on stock backspace.

I see people say all the time the 31x10.5s fit the TJ totally fine on stock 15x8 wheels, besides having to add washers to the steering stop. Are these people not cycling their suspensions

Those people must just be lucky. :rolleyes:

Rubi 6 9 (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

During the upgrade from 215/75x15 (28") to 255/75x17 (32") tires with JK rims and 1.5" alloy spacers; I measured the shock absorber length in full compression and droop, added new bump stops, 2" lift springs, Currie Currectlync and cycled the steering and suspension to verify there was no rubbing which would require further adjustments or modifications.
I may have gone overboard with the measurements and adjustments, but these modifications work for me.

IMG-0449.jpg

What happens if you let it rub? Won't hurt the tire, it just removes the paint on the coil tower in that spot and the rounded edge can't hurt the tire so other than your feelings, what gets hurt if it rubs?

Good point, I mean it is a tire that has all kinds of pressure put on it, so it should be fine. I was just surprised at how early in the steering angle the rub occurs, so it could really dig into the tower ,.. but nothing that already doesn't happen in the rocks.

Good point, I mean it is a tire that has all kinds of pressure put on it, so it should be fine. I was just surprised at how early in the steering angle the rub occurs, so it could really dig into the tower ,.. but nothing that already doesn't happen in the rocks.

Your goal in setting these limits is to prevent damage. The spring seats will be fine. Be more concerned about the front tires grabbing sheet metal along the outer fender.

The same thinking goes for the steering stops. There is no need to reduce your turning radius to prevent a light rub somewhere. If you don't like the noise, back off on the steering a bit.