Front Wiper Motor Replacement

TJDave

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So after my wiper motorordeal earlier this week i decided to create a writeup showing how it was replaced since i haven't really had much to contribute to the jeeping community thus far. this may be easy, but when i was looking for info/tips before i did it i didn't see one out there... so, here it is. some pics were taken with a blackberry, some with camera. this is for my 2000.

as i said, this is a very easy replacement. i was fully expecting something to go wrong and for it to take 2x as long, but somehow it went smoothly. about a half hour start to finish with taking pictures. click pictures to enlarge.

tools required:
* phillips head screwdriver
* fladhead screwdriver
* 10mm socket/6" extension
* 1/2" open ended wrench or socket (not pictured)
* channel lock pliers

th_d527b29c.jpg

STEP 1: remove wipers. pry on tab under the wipes with flathead screwdriver until it pops out this far, otherwise it won't come off. the thing that slides actually contacts the body of the wiper arm so i had to fight it to get it off

th_ed1d1115.jpg

STEP 2:remove the 4 phillips head screws from the top of the cowl and one from the center vent

th_8472ca50.jpg

STEP 3: open the hood and peel back the hood/cowl trim to access 2 more phillips head screws (one on each side. this is just the passenger side). these might give some trouble. they screw into a metal clip/nut that might become rusty over time. mine had rusted out so i had to pry on the underside of the screw head to put pressure on the nut to prevent it from spinning. (don't mind the exposed wire off the ecu, that's fixed)

th_c2b83b1a.jpg

th_4849bf3a.jpg

STEP 4: shut the hood and take off the cowl. i found it easiest to pull up from the front/hood side first.

th_f79d3496.jpg

STEP 5:with the cowl off you have easy access to the wiper motorfrom the drivers side. on my plug there was a red safety piece on the plug. pry that up and unplug the motor. there's 3 10mm bolts holding the wiper motor/arm assembly in. take those out and remove the whole assembly.

th_c740b261.jpg

th_fc639720.jpg

STEP 6:there are 3 10mm bolts holding the motor to the bracket, and one 1/2" nut holding the arm assembly onto the motor shaft. i found it easier to remove the nut from the arm before removing the motor to bracket bolts so the motor wasn't wobbling around. i also used the flathead to prevent the arm from moving when trying to loosen the nut.

th_ec952163.jpg

th_cba95393.jpg

th_5621ff0c.jpg

STEP 6a: the plug on the motor is attached to the bracket. i got the flathead under the plug and just pried it up and out. i then realized that there is a track sort of thing under it that the plug can slide off of. either way, that has to come off.

OLD VS NEW:

th_193956e8.jpg

rubber bootpeeled off. i could almost put a screwdriver right through the wall... very rotted out.

th_8b1d874c.jpg

STEP 7-end: reinstall is the reverse.

*get the motor bolted to the bracket with the 3 10mm bolts.
*attach the wiper arm (the shaft is keyed so it will only fit on 2 ways).
*attach the plug to the bracket.
*get the assembly put back into the jeep.
*secure the 3 10mm bolts.
*plug the harness back in.
make sure to slide down the red safety clip. i didn't and mine came unplugged in 1 day
thumbdown.gif

*test the motor with the cowl off before putting the cowl back on.
*put the cowl back on.
*get the 7 phillips head screws put back in.
*reattach the wiper arms and you should be done.

Reactions: mushdogs
I recently replaced the motor and agree with the method above. The only difference for a UK spec from that of your home market is the positioning of the motor with the motor body pointing down. The problem with the motor was that it rotted out due to the rubber boot filling with water and the motor body staying wet all the time. (this is something that was no doubt missed at the factory. Easy fix was to cut off the rubber boot from the new one.

Reactions: Chris
Excellent write-up.

As Steve noted, this area of the Jeep has a tendency to stay moist. Any time we go this far into our Jeep, it may not be a bad idea to wax everything we have exposed before assembly. I see that whole upper cowl and hood seal as a prime candidate for severe rust.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Hey first time posting, have 2003 wrangler sport, replacing the wiper motor, ordered a replacement motor from rock auto took out the old motor and went to mount the new motor to the bracket and the holes don’t line up, returned that motor to rock auto and got one from autozone and same problem. They’re telling me it’s the right motor but clearly something is not right anyone go through this?

Hey first time posting, have 2003 wrangler sport, replacing the wiper motor, ordered a replacement motor from rock auto took out the old motor and went to mount the new motor to the bracket and the holes don’t line up, returned that motor to rock auto and got one from autozone and same problem. They’re telling me it’s the right motor but clearly something is not right anyone go through this?
Same issue. Any solution