Frustration buying disposable gloves and masks for working on Jeeps

toximus

I live in my Jeep
Supporting Member
Is anyone else having frustration buying equipment to stay safe working on their Jeeps?

My normal supplier of disposable gloves canceled my order and says they're 6mo out even though I've been a loyal customer of gloves from them for years. My local hardware store is now charging $30 for a box of 100 gloves, and these are the thin cheap ones that rip after 10 minutes.

Respirators are back in stock again at twice the normal price.

Thankfully face shields have come back in stock because I've been working with one that's pretty scratched up and starting to become a danger to see out of.

If people are actually needing this equipment to stay safe I'm totally fine with putting my projects on hold for them, I also understand supply and demand, and honestly thought that the bullet shortage that happened 5 years ago was rather hilarious, but if this is all hoarders and price gougers I'm sick of it.

Reactions: Tldelaney
I don't see THAT many people going around with face shields to think there really ought to be a shortage still today.

I'm with you though, I finally paid way too much for gloves a couple of weeks ago and I've been using my welding helmet as a face shield and turning off the auto-darkening. (that one bit me in the ass this summer...or the eyes I guess...when I went back to welding after grinding and the lens didn't darken).

Reactions: Blondie70
Beyond frustrating. We sell gloves at my work and I have backorders going on six months. We are receiving "rationed" allotments of gloves that no one wants and they are double in price. We also cannot get Scott blue shop towels either. Guess they stopped making them for a while to make up for the TP shortage.

Ive got a box that I have been rationing for about a year now. I almost bought a box of nitriles from HF but they too were the real cheap and thin ones.

Yup this shit sucks, I need gloves for cerakote and powdercoat. Haven't able to get a box of 100 since covid started and places like HF have raised their prices 100%

I don't see THAT many people going around with face shields to think there really ought to be a shortage still today.
Likely not due to individual purchase... my employer for example has been mandated by the state to employ face shields in several hundred positions where they never had to before.

The only thing I can think is to clean your Jeep real well before working on it. I use plastic glasses when working under the Jeep. They are still around at Harbor Freight and other hardware stores. I also noticed that there were some 3 packs of gloves for sale at Harbor Freight. These were not nitrile or latex, so not as fine for the fingers to work with nuts and bolts, but they were decent and last longer. But yes, seems like we are more and more feeling the effects of the lockdowns earlier last year. It was just a matter of time. I wish people had realized how important these chains are and not locked down. The supposed solution is worse than the problem. I'll try not to get political here.

I bought gloves back in the summer from Harbor Freight. They had a good selection, and price was about $8/box of 100. They also had dust masks.

That's where I got mine as well. The selection wasn't bad. I thought the pricing seemed higher than usual but I admit I don't buy nitrile gloves often as I usually get the biggest box I can and I use leather work gloves for most stuff unless I'm dealing with grease or oil.

Ive been gloveless for awhile now. The gloves i like have gone up over $30 a box and i have enough gojo on hand to not pay that.

I was fortunate 2 years ago prior to my second and final retirement. I purchased good quality nitrile gloves for my workers from a local jobber, and the more I purchased the better the price. I still have about 15 boxes left in my personal storage cabinet.

Reactions: BlueChip
The new HF in northern CA by me is fully stocked with gloves, picked up 2 boves a few weeks ago while shopping for stocking stuffers.

No issue at the dealership I work at. Supplier told us she just had to switch brands but I like the new brand better anyway.

Harbor Freight near me is charging $16 for a box of gloves that is normally $8.

Welcome to a world of idiots I guess.

I was fortunate 2 years ago prior to my second and final retirement. I purchased good quality nitrile gloves for my workers from a local jobber, and the more I purchased the better the price. I still have about 15 boxes left in my personal storage cabinet.
Share the wealth with @toximus 😉

Yes, I'm having problems sourcing them. I was at HF yesterday, and they had signs posted apologizing for being out of stock and for the prices when they were in stock, explaining that when sources became plentiful again the prices would drop.

The funny thing is the hoax virus doesn’t even absorb through the skin so gloves do nothing. Not that wearing masks makes any sense either.

I suppose it’s all just a program meant to condition us to view each other as filthy and contagious so as to prevent us from forming alliances and resisting when we are in the NWO re-education camps.

It’s only gonna get more interesting folks!

Reactions: BlueChip
The funny thing is the hoax virus doesn’t even absorb through the skin so gloves do nothing. Not that wearing masks makes any sense either.

I suppose it’s all just a program meant to condition us to view each other as filthy and contagious so as to prevent us from forming alliances and resisting when we are in the NWO re-education camps.

It’s only gonna get more interesting folks!
That's why I use my hands to spread paint stripper. It's not like #hoaxcancer is going to absorb through my hands.

Share the wealth with @toximus 😉
What I haven't shared is that I still have 2 months worth. Although I've learned better than to deplete my stock.