STICKY FSM (Factory Service Manual) Corrections

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
@hear recently brought it to my attention in the factory service manual thread, that there are a number of corrections that need to be made in the various FSMs.

That being said, I'm going to ask that if you have found something wrong in the FSM that you please respond to this thread with the following information:
  1. Page number in the FSM where you noticed the error.
  2. The correct wording or diagram that needs to be made to fix the error.
Do not post speculative responses, (i.e. "well I believe I saw something wrong at one point"). The goal here is to take the information we compile from this thread so that I can amend the factory service manual thread in such a way that it points out the errors we've found throughout them.

I'll start.

FSM: 1997 FSM, page 21-108, and also 21-115 (same diagram both places)

Issue: The kickdown valve and sleeve in Fig. 40 (and Fig. 68) are reversed from how they should be. The diagram goes kickdown valve (with short side outboard) ==> sleeve ==> spring ==> throttle valve.

1659465976743.png

Correction: The order of those valve should go sleeve (with larger bore inboard) ==> kickdown valve (with short side inboard) ==> spring ==> throttle valve

Note the sleeve & kickdown valve locations are swapped, and the kickdown valve itself is facing the opposite direction.

1659466178659.png

Other notes: the switch valve is correct in these diagrams, but is incorrect in another version (sorry, don't know which year specifically).

Last edited:
Page 11–8 of the 1997 FSM says that manifold nuts 6 and 7 should be tightened to 31 N-m (23 ft-lbs).

But as @RaymondT explains here, it should be 14 N-m (126 in-lbs).

As you'll see on that thread, I asked him where he got the updated info. I was wondering if it changed in a certain year. But I haven't gotten a reply from him.

Reactions: Chris
Sounds like you have these supplements?

Just the 97 one. I'll have a look and see what I can add to this thread from it. Would be nice if we could get our hands on supplements from any other years.

• USA Proud
Reactions: hear
Just the 97 one. I'll have a look and see what I can add to this thread from it. Would be nice if we could get our hands on supplements from any other years.

is it digital? I would love to see what included in that.

Very curious to know what sorts of things they updated.

Ok, I've had another look.

The Foreword to my 97 Supplement is the same as the Foreword to the FSM, except that this one line is added: "This manual is designed as a supplement to be used along with the 1997 Wrangler Service Manual. It includes information related to engineering changes made during the model year."

The TOC includes Sections 3 (Differential and Drivetrain), 8W (Wiring Diagrams), and 21 (Transmission and Transfer Case). All of those were already in the FSM of course, but are now updated in the Supplement.

When I turn to each Section's individual TOC, it appears that most sub-sections are reproduced entirely. There are a few sub-sections not included in the Supplement, and I assume that means there were no updates needed. But the Supplement does not have any kind of "red-line" editing to point to what's been updated; it just reproduces certain sub-sections in full. At least, that's what it looks like to me so far.

@Chris, I'm not sure if this is the kind of information you're looking for on this thread, but I suppose it could be noted somewhere that some years of the FSM have these "Supplements". Maybe we could at least mention which Sections are included in each year's Supplements. I wonder, for instance, if it was a supplement that provided @RaymondT's revised torquing specs mentioned above.

Reactions: Chris
Chris, your icon of a united states flag is all sorts of cockamamy. Us flag code. If intention, that goes in the politics forum.

Thanks for staying on topic and posting something for everyone to see that could've easily been handled with a private message. But had you done that we wouldn't have had the chance to see you virtue signal.

Whew, that was a close one.

You are right. That was a spontaneous message and not the right place for it. As I was typing it, I figured the administrator had easy access to the delete button for post 14.

Page 11–8 of the 1997 FSM says that manifold nuts 6 and 7 should be tightened to 31 N-m (23 ft-lbs).

But as @RaymondT explains here, it should be 14 N-m (126 in-lbs).

As you'll see on that thread, I asked him where he got the updated info. I was wondering if it changed in a certain year. But I haven't gotten a reply from him.

Auto manufacturers frequently publish TSB's, or Technical Service Bulletins and that info doesn't always make it into FSM's. The exhaust manifold update for 4 cylinder engines was to address the frequent cracking of #1 or #4 sections from thermal expansion/contraction. It allows those sections slight movement during heat stress but still seals the cylinders. I haven't had one crack in years by following the new spec's.

Reactions: SSTJ
Auto manufacturers frequently publish TSB's, or Technical Service Bulletins and that info doesn't always make it into FSM's. The exhaust manifold update for 4 cylinder engines was to address the frequent cracking of #1 or #4 sections from thermal expansion/contraction. It allows those sections slight movement during heat stress but still seals the cylinders. I haven't had one crack in years by following the new spec's.

Aha, I should have thought of a TSB. Thanks for filling us in.

Come to think of it, @Chris, another good resource thread would be a list of all TSBs. Or I suppose they could also go in this same thread, since they are effectively 'corrections'.

Reactions: hear and Chris
That’s probably what we’re really missing, given how few FSM corrections we’ve flushed out here.

Reactions: SSTJ