Fuel filler hose options when stretching and outboarding shocks. What have you done?

RD3

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Finishing my stretch which included outboarding the shocks. The towers obstruct the original path for the fuel filler hose. Before I spend a lot of time and headaches trying to figure out the best approach thought I would ask what anyone with a similar build has done. Installing a 15 gal genright tank on my 2003 tj. Was hoping to fine a length of flexible 1.25" i.d. fuel filler hose to use but haven't been able to find. Hope someone has already figured this out.

I was able to get mine close to the original position when I used the Genright stretch. But we just stretched my buddy’s and we relocated it to the rear like the Yj’s only with a custom fill valve. Here is a couple pictures

7863CE4C-2859-4D55-9BBD-B62729EC6732.jpeg

Last edited:
I was able to get mine close to the original position when I used the Genright stretch. But we just stretched my buddy’s and we relocated it to the rear like the Yj’s only with a custom fill valve. Here is a couple pictures

View attachment 156853

View attachment 156854
That's the direction I'd like to go. Do you know what fill valve it is and is that just soft 1 1/4" hose?

That's the direction I'd like to go. Do you know what fill valve it is and is that just soft 1 1/4" hose?
I’ll ask him for the part numbers. It was a pre made marine fill cap with a flap so no fuel spillage and built in vent. We used a radiator hose with the bends and perfect length. Then the vent line we installed a one way rollover valve in the hose and just a cut length for that hose.it turned out sweet. I’m probably going to change mine to this style. We sent a picture to Genright and they were impressed and asked for the part numbers as well.

Your average Ace hardware or similar has that clear hose with embedded string that you buy by the foot.
I'm not sure if radiator hose will hold up to gasoline. Especially with ethanol in the mix.
But I like the idea of going to a YJ setup.

Thank you
So what did you wind up going with. Since I’m now installing the new Aluminum armor blanks I’ve got to decide what to do this time around. I love the way we did it on my buddies build and it’s working fine so far. But looking for all options before I cut any openings. I got the Genright stretch fuel bezel when I ordered the blanks but honestly it looks cheap. My Gen 1 steel stretch Genright corners had a welded on bezel. So I gotta figure it out.

Your average Ace hardware or similar has that clear hose with embedded string that you buy by the foot.
I'm not sure if radiator hose will hold up to gasoline. Especially with ethanol in the mix.
But I like the idea of going to a YJ setup.
So far it’s been ok but I’m with you on it probably not being a great long term solution for hose.

Summit had some 1.25" fuel filler hoses. i know Gates makes 1.
my last post of FillerNeckSupply is kinda bust, most of their stuff is out of stock constantly.

Summit had some 1.25" fuel filler hoses. i know Gates makes 1.
my last post of FillerNeckSupply is kinda bust, most of their stuff is out of stock constantly.
Thanks. I’m trying to decide on what filler to use. Hose I’m not too worried about being able to find. Just gotta figure out what to mount for the cap,or what to mount to the body.

I’m not liking this option that stays up under the fender or the cheap looking plastic insert for the stretch corners I already bought.

1865590D-7569-4B3F-99B3-0F2E942CFC83.png

I know people have had issues with Morris sometimes, but they have a pretty good selection of fuel filler hoses and vent hoses.

https://www.morris4x4center.com/rep...uel-delivery-components/filler-vent-hoses.htm
I’m not liking this option that stays up under the fender or the cheap looking plastic insert for the stretch corners I already bought.

View attachment 303922

I'd hate to of spent the day on the trail in April and try to get to the fuel filler. It'd be packed in mud.

I know people have had issues with Morris sometimes, but they have a pretty good selection of fuel filler hoses and vent hoses.

https://www.morris4x4center.com/rep...uel-delivery-components/filler-vent-hoses.htm

I'd hate to of spent the day on the trail in April and try to get to the fuel filler. It'd be packed in mud.
No doubt that’s why I don’t want to go that route. I don’t think I can fit the factory style with the stretch and the flares. Like I mentioned I purchased the one Genright sells with there stretch corners that has the one edge removed. But it just looks like a cheap Kydex material. The picture on the website looks much better then what I received.

3384167D-1E70-4DEB-A3A3-8A8E1C9828C6.png

ED2D3037-5136-4E78-B090-2B3F7705FE79.png

No doubt that’s why I don’t want to go that route. I don’t think I can fit the factory style with the stretch and the flares. Like I mentioned I purchased the one Genright sells with there stretch corners that has the one edge removed. But it just looks like a cheap Kydex material. The picture on the website looks much better then what I received.

View attachment 303938

View attachment 303939

Yep I have the same one but haven't started to cut anything yet as I was thinking about doing the rear fill bezel too like a YJ. If you get a metal bezel you could cut and weld it as you want?

I'll probably just end up using the cut YJ bezel even though it looks like shit.

Reactions: Rescue6