Fuel in oil

matkal

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I checked my oil today and it’s way higher than it should be. It’s diluted/thinner. I assume its gas but what would cause this?

Could be gas, but it's probably more likely it's coolant. This is usually due to a bad head gasket. Is the oil discolored at all?

Oil is black, not milky at all. I had a motorcycle that the float valve leaked gas into the engine, this oil smells similar IIRC.

Double check your coolant just in case to see if there might be oil in it. If not, you could have a leaky injector(s) and the gas is leaking past the piston rings into the oil.

It’s at least a quart high and I have no idea how long it’s been going on, it’s probably been only 2-300 miles since I last checked the oil.

I have the same issue. I changed out the injectors and repaired the return line. how it seems worse. I have about 8 quarts overfilled in my oil pan. now I just changed the idle air control and map sensor. I am waiting on the tps sensor before I change the oil for the 10th time in two mounts. if this doesn't work I will be replacing the engine.

Reactions: LJBean
I have the same issue. I changed out the injectors and repaired the return line. how it seems worse. I have about 8 quarts overfilled in my oil pan. now I just changed the idle air control and map sensor. I am waiting on the tps sensor before I change the oil for the 10th time in two mounts. if this doesn't work I will be replacing the engine.

Send the oil off to be analyzed, I had coolant in my oil and had no other signs, except overheating all the time.

Reactions: BlueC
If you have 2 qts of gas in the oil, it will reek of gas. Does it?

Not sure how that's even possible these days. Only happened with the block mounted mech fuel pumps in the old days.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
If you have 2 qts of gas in the oil, it will reek of gas. Does it?

Not sure how that's even possible these days. Only happened with the block mounted mech fuel pumps in the old days.

I thought it could happen when an injector leaks down after shut down and the fuel finds it's way past the rings. I also vote for sending in a sample to Blackstone, mine was coolant. TIP: If you want your Blackstone report quick send it USPS overnight. It will cost you an extra $28 but when Blackstone gets it overnighted they automatically process it the same day, other wise it takes close to 2 weeks to get your report after mailing.

Reactions: SSTJ
Yes, an injector could leak, but the pressure in the rail bleeds off quickly. I can catch all the fuel that comes out of the Schrader port in one paper towel. I guess if it was stuck open and completely drained the whole rail? But then I'd think you be in for hydro lock at some pt. Briggs engines are known to fill the cylinder with gas when the carb needle valve goes bad, but they won't spin over on the starter when the cyl is full of gas. And the oil smells like raw gas.

A trick for diesel in oil is to put a couple drops on a paper towel and look for a halo to creep out past the oil? Idk if it works for gas.

Something else you can do-loosen the oil plug and blip it open to look for coolant. It will settle to the bottom.

Reactions: Blondie70
I replaced one of the injectors and it hasn’t done it since. To be honest Im not sure if that was the problem

because it hasn't happened again 3 years later, or because you did some other stuff that might have stopped it?