Fuel pressure gauge one of those must-have tools

RaymondT

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
We see a lot of will-not-start threads where the OP doesn't know where to start looking. Just about every modern FI vehicle has a fuel pressure schrader valve fitting on the fuel rail or line. An inexpensive version with bleed line will fit 95% of the vehicles on the road. Takes only a minute to attach.

Fuel pressure gauge.jpg

Not only can you verify your fuel pump/rail pressure, but you can safely relieve pressure without gas squirting all over your engine bay should you need to work on the fuel system. Also good for checking for a clogged filter on vehicles with an upstream in-line fuel filter.

We see a lot of will-not-start threads where the OP doesn't know where to start looking. Just about every modern FI vehicle has a fuel pressure schrader valve fitting on the fuel rail or line. An inexpensive version with bleed line will fit 95% of the vehicles on the road. Takes only a minute to attach.

View attachment 9951

Not only can you verify your fuel pump/rail pressure, but you can safely relieve pressure without gas squirting all over your engine bay should you need to work on the fuel system. Also good for checking for a clogged filter on vehicles with an upstream in-line fuel filter.
My '97 TJ 4.0 had a Schrader valve fuel pressure test port on its fuel rail but Jeep stopped installing them sometime in the early 2000's. My '04 TJ 4.0 doesn't have one, neither do either of my two daily driver cars. I wish they did.

My 2004 (Mfr 8-03) 4.0L doesn’t have one. I wish it did. Does anybody have a link for a pre made t connector kit?

Just do what I did and get a fuel rail from a 2002 or earlier TJ with the build in Schraeder valve. Only cost me $60 on eBay!

I'm bumping this thread for a quick question. What size schrader valve port is on the rail? 1/4"? 3/8"?

I am making one for my 4runner to test fuel pressure but I cannot find my fuel pressure tester. Since I am buying a jeep soon I want to get a another pressure tester that will fit both.