Fuel pressure

I just checked my fuel pressure in the 2005.
I was reading 40psi...
when I press the gas peddle it drops to 35 psi..

would this only be a fuel pump issue or something else.
Yep that is too low. The fuel pressure for a 2005 or 2006 is higher than it used to be, yours should be 58 psi +/- 2 psi.

Didn't know they are even higher.
Yeah it's hard to keep up with everything, I had to verify it in the FSM. Jeep went with a different fuel pump/fuel pressure regulator in 2005, the fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump are now integrated together in one assembly for 2005-6 models.

there is cheap ones for $70..like rockauto type thing...and all the way to $230 each??
Avoid like the plague the store brands like from Autozone, Kragen, O'Reilly's, etc. and the online brands like AIrtex or Spectre. Most start crapping out within a year or so, a Spectre I installed 5-6 years ago lasted just 13 months... 1 month past its warranty expiration.

Bosch is really the only fuel pump that holds up and due to the difficulty of replacing it, since the tank has to be dropped, you'd be wise going Bosch. Between my two TJs and friend's TJs, I've replaced multiple TJ fuel pumps over the past 20 years and I've learned the hard way to use nothing but Bosch who was also the OE manufacturer for the pumps that Jeep installed into our TJs.

This is the only one I'd go for for your 2005... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZGCWY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: 94c2500